Intermittent Fasting

Options
Looking for pros/cons on intermittent fasting. Should I do it 7 days a week and eat in an 8 hour window? Should I still count calories?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    If you want.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    IF 7 days a week (skipping breakfast) in conjunction with calorie counting is the only thing that has worked for me, and continues to work 6 years down the line. It's now a lifestyle. By all means give it a go, but as others have said IF on its own will not help you lose weight if you eat a calorie surplus during your eating window.
  • gentledreams
    gentledreams Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add one of the cons is you need to be more careful about your water intake, as you can easily get dehydrated doing IF. We take some of our water from food as well, so by restricting the window in which we can eat we need to make sure we are drinking more water to make up for it. I did feel a bit dehydrated the first couple of weeks, but then I increased my water consumption and felt alright.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I do 5:2, although in practice it has become 2:1 as I prefer a regular eat and fast days pattern.

This works for me because I do not have to be particularly restrictive on eating days but I do count calories to make sure I eat both enough and not too much.

On my fast day I stretch my 500 calorie allowance with lots of veg and a very small portion of chicken. I have just discovered miso, which means even my fast days are kept interesting. I also tend to drink a lot on these days - green tea, black coffee and sparkling water.

Suits me and I have lost about 15kg so far.
  • IAmGainingHealth
    IAmGainingHealth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am using a combination of intermittent fasting, and low carb mainly.

One endocrinologist told me that intermittent fasting is scientifically proven to aid weight loss.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    I dig it. It naturally works for me, but I’m not super strict about it. And I definitely still count the calories eaten.