Lost way too much on Weight Watchers in my first week

Post says it all. Last week was my first week on Weight Watchers. I wanted to see if it could help jump start some weight loss. Started at 174.6 pounds and my goal weight is 150 - 155 pounds. I weighed in this morning and was 170 pounds. Not. Good. I ate every one of my points, all of my weekly points, and even dipped into my Fit Points.

I know some could have been the holiday bloat/water weight from New Year’s/Christmas, but holy cow. That is not good in any way; especially since I don’t have a ton to lose. So, I’m back here. Calorie counting, weighing, and whatnot is what I know works for me. No need to change what’s worked for me in the past.

Replies

• runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Wombat468 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry at all - nothing to be concerned about in your first week. Just enjoy it! No need to ditch WW.

No, sorry. I can't enjoy a 5 pound loss in a week where my energy and performance for workouts was decreased.
  • runnermom419
    I wouldn't worry at all - nothing to be concerned about in your first week. Just enjoy it! No need to ditch WW.

No, sorry. I can't enjoy a 5 pound loss in a week where my energy and performance for workouts was decreased.

Well, you didn't say that so her comment was appropriate.

I lost 7 pounds in my first week.

That didn't continue, it was water. It took months before my energy tanked, though.

Yeah, I'd like to have energy to run 5 miles like I'm generally used to. Instead, this morning (and the other days I've ran) everything felt like lead, was tired, winded and cut it short.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    It seems dramatic if you are not accustomed to watching water weight decline. In the last week I have lost 11.6 pounds and only about a pound of that was actual fat loss.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member

That didn't continue, it was water. It took months before my energy tanked, though.

Yeah, I'd like to have energy to run 5 miles like I'm generally used to. Instead, this morning (and the other days I've ran) everything felt like lead, was tired, winded and cut it short.

I've never done WW, but do they account for exercise in some way?

Have you tried entering the "points" foods you did eat and see how many calories that gives you?

I've read on here that they do cut calories too much.

I don't find logging food on MFP to be an arduous process, and I like the control and that I can adjust portions of things to fit my macro needs.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I didn't see the potential fatigue mentioned. It is still improbable that you lost 4.6 pounds of fat in a week but you may have lost a little more than you should. I have noticed fatigue when my deficit increased without my realizing it by 300 calories per day which is about .5lb per week to fast.
  • runnermom419
    Why did you decide to pay for WW when MFP was working?

Not sure. Wanted to change it up; see if something else would help me better. We get a hefty discount through work, so I'm only out $9 for the month if it doesn't end up working for me.

apullum wrote: »

If you were having no symptoms, then a large loss in the first week would be nothing to worry about. It’s common to lose a lot of water in the first week. The original post did not mention any symptoms, so the folks who said not to worry about it gave good advice based on the information that they had.

Since you do have symptoms, it could be that your deficit is too large. If you don’t have much to lose, you should be aiming for a small deficit: no more than 1 lb/week loss, and 0.5 lb/week would not be unreasonable.

It could also be that you’re not fueling your workouts properly, such as suddenly eating very few carbs when you are not used to eating that way.

It could also be coincidence. What you’re describing sounds like my runs in the days right before I get sick. You could just happen to be coming down with something in the same week you changed your eating.

Yup, why I am logging points and calories this week. I want to be sure I'm eating enough. I'm already seeing some areas of concern. Right now, I'm sitting at 800 calories or so before dinner, but with the points, I have 5 left for the day. So, we'll see how the next week goes.

• luvmybee
    luvmybee Posts: 58 Member
    I’m finding the exact same thing. I’m finding that in order to meet 1330 calories, I need to eat ten points over daily. I’m not even eating a lot of sugar. I’m very sad because I have been very successful with Weight Watchers in the past with different plans. The smart points are just very restrictive for me and I don’t last too long on them. I don’t know why I just don’t stop and use MFP only. I’ve had success on it before. I just love those darn weekly points.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member

Did you keep up your typical exercise routine during the holidays?

If not it can take a week or so to get back in the swing. Agree with other posters, you are most likely having some water weight fluctuations causing the larger than expected loss.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    It’s pretty normal to drop several pounds the first couple weeks on WW, especially if you have drastically reduced your bad carbs and refined sugar. If you are eating all your points you probably won’t stay losing at this pace. If you are still feeling hungry you might want to spend a few more points on the higher fat versions of things like yogurt or some nuts/nut butters. I find if I eat too many zero point foods I’m not getting enough fats and whole grains to feel satisfied.