Gym workout question for (used to be or are) heavier women?

How long did it take to see a difference?

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    This ^^
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,276 Member
    I joined my current gym about 1.5 years ago at 314 lbs. I've lost about 45 lbs since then, and I've combined it with MFP for tracking my eating. Like @hipari said, it's the eating part that is responsible for my weight loss. Working out has helped change my shape, I'm stronger, and I can do a lot more things than when I started and I think my form is better on most of them. I do classes, not lifting, and I haven't been overly aggressive about the weight loss, so depending on what you do you and how hard you push yourself you could see very different results.

Basic answer to your question: it was probably a couple of months in when I started to feel/see some changes. But really, all of it has been gradual over the whole time.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    If you are looking to see certain changes in your body, i'd say 3 months along with counting your calories should tell you if you're on the right path or if you need to adjust your routine (ie more precise logging, hiring a trainer, taking classes instead of working out on your own etc.).
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I saw a difference in the mirror in 2 months, but I do water aerobics 6 hours a week, more than a lot of people.
    It shows more fully clothed in pants and fitted tee shirt than in underwear. Looks more like really good posture, like I’m holding my stomach in and tightening all my muscles when I’m not. Still wear the same size.
  • YadaYadaYada64
    YadaYadaYada64 Posts: 50 Member
    I started weight training about 2 years before I got serious about my diet, I was 50. Although I didn’t lose weight (only diet can do that in significant amounts), I got so much stronger and in such better shape. Started really seeing the difference in only a couple months. A couple years later I had lost the weight (about 60 lbs) and already had a big part of my goals in place with the increased fitness. Backwards to most people :). Being stronger is SO helpful in daily life, so rewarding! Good luck!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    I visibly see a difference when my food tracking is on point. I am very active but only look fit when my calories are in check. I'm not sure if that is the answer you are looking for but food is really the key, not the work outs. Working out keeps me mobile but it doesn't affect my waist line.
  • I started weight training about 2 years before I got serious about my diet, I was 50. Although I didn’t lose weight (only diet can do that in significant amounts), I got so much stronger and in such better shape. Started really seeing the difference in only a couple months. A couple years later I had lost the weight (about 60 lbs) and already had a big part of my goals in place with the increased fitness. Backwards to most people :). Being stronger is SO helpful in daily life, so rewarding! Good luck!

I did the same. Now I'm really fit, but still have fat to lose. A few questions.

1. Was it harder to build muscle or lose fat?
    2. Do you have regrets - would you lose the fat first then build muscle ?
    3. Did building the muscle help with keeping your skin tight as you lost weight?
  • ClockWorKitten
    ClockWorKitten Posts: 55 Member
    Awesome answers everyone, thanks. Trying to keep motivated and inspired. (Kind of shocked at the amount of replys lol).
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Good luck in your journey! I always saw working out as just a bonus for my health. I have yet to get low enough in weight to see a real difference in muscle (but could feel it) I have had roller coaster weight over last several years between pregnancies. My twins (#3&4) are to be our last, so I think that's been more motivation than anything lol
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    I started weight training about 2 years before I got serious about my diet, I was 50. Although I didn’t lose weight (only diet can do that in significant amounts), I got so much stronger and in such better shape. Started really seeing the difference in only a couple months. A couple years later I had lost the weight (about 60 lbs) and already had a big part of my goals in place with the increased fitness. Backwards to most people :). Being stronger is SO helpful in daily life, so rewarding! Good luck!

I did the same. Now I'm really fit, but still have fat to lose. A few questions.

3. Did building the muscle help with keeping your skin tight as you lost weight?

So... I know you asked this question of someone else, but I'm going to chime in with my experience in case it helps you.

1. Building muscle and losing fat are both difficult in different ways- one involves mostly strength training, and the other involves mostly a calorie deficit. I like to work out no matter my weight/size, and I LOVE to eat, so it's easier for me to build muscle than to lose weight.

2. I lost weight first, meaning I focused on calories and just did cardio a few days a week for extra calorie burn. It was the way to go for me personally because of what was happening in my life at the time, plus I have some issues when it comes to strength training and migraines that I had to figure out before I could do a progressive lifting program. Once I quit my life-sucking job and got on the right meds, I started maintaining my weight and doing strength training for a slow body recomp.

3. I was not big enough before I lost weight to develop severe loose skin- I've lost ~21 lbs. However the big thing I've noticed is that my body is much better proportioned and clothes fit me better since I started lifting. My skin feels tighter and less jiggly in general. I dropped a pants size while staying the same weight within the first 3 months of lifting.

My advice is, to avoid burnout, do what you can do without overwhelming yourself with a bunch of lifestyle changes all at once. Focus on one thing first, then when you've got that down to a habit, tackle another thing. From a purely physical standpoint not taking the mental tax into account, I recommend starting a lifting program as soon as you can. It will benefit you in countless ways.
  • SoHowLongIsThisGonnaTake
    SoHowLongIsThisGonnaTake Posts: 268 Member
    edited January 2020
    EliseTK1 wrote: »

So... I know you asked this question of someone else, but I'm going to chime in with my experience in case it helps you.

1. Building muscle and losing fat are both difficult in different ways- one involves mostly strength training, and the other involves mostly a calorie deficit. I like to work out no matter my weight/size, and I LOVE to eat, so it's easier for me to build muscle than to lose weight.

2. I lost weight first, meaning I focused on calories and just did cardio a few days a week for extra calorie burn. It was the way to go for me personally because of what was happening in my life at the time, plus I have some issues when it comes to strength training and migraines that I had to figure out before I could do a progressive lifting program. Once I quit my life-sucking job and got on the right meds, I started maintaining my weight and doing strength training for a slow body recomp.

3. I was not big enough before I lost weight to develop severe loose skin- I've lost ~21 lbs. However the big thing I've noticed is that my body is much better proportioned and clothes fit me better since I started lifting. My skin feels tighter and less jiggly in general. I dropped a pants size while staying the same weight within the first 3 months of lifting.

My advice is, to avoid burnout, do what you can do without overwhelming yourself with a bunch of lifestyle changes all at once. Focus on one thing first, then when you've got that down to a habit, tackle another thing. From a purely physical standpoint not taking the mental tax into account, I recommend starting a lifting program as soon as you can. It will benefit you in countless ways.

Thanks for taking the time to post your response. This is where I'm at now with lifting progress:

6q6cfrl859he.jpg

I just need to lose fat now. I don't know many people who build first - usually they lose first and then get fit so I was curious as to what their experience was with it.

I look really different than when I started, but am struggling with impatience with getting leaner.
  • Not sure what there was to disagree with my post (just saying what I experienced) but to each his own, I guess.