Calories suck!

Options
My girlfriend and I have been eating about the same amount of calories everyday for a couple weeks. About 1600-1800. She drinks an flavored ice coffee, a big sugary drink and wine on top of what we ate just yesterday. She wakes up and is over a pound lighter. But I’m the exact same weight. She’s 116 and I’m 240!! How am I still the same?

Replies

• Casey_Coleman34
    Casey_Coleman34 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    My girlfriend and I have been eating about the same amount of calories everyday for a couple weeks. About 1600-1800. She drinks an flavored ice coffee, a big sugary drink and wine on top of what we ate just yesterday. She wakes up and is over a pound lighter. But I’m the exact same weight. She’s 116 and I’m 240!! How am I still the same?

Comparison is the thief of joy.

She didn't lose a pound of fat overnight. It is not really possible at her weight and would be extremely hard to achieve at yours. Most of it would be water, possibly some food waste, and a very very small portion of it would be fat. She will be complaining about an increase in the very near future.

Fat loss does not show in a linear fashion on the scale most of the time. Read this:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
    NovusDies wrote: »

Comparison is the thief of joy.

She didn't lose a pound of fat overnight. It is not really possible at her weight and would be extremely hard to achieve at yours. Most of it would be water, possibly some food waste, and a very very small portion of it would be fat. She will be complaining about an increase in the very near future.

Fat loss does not show in a linear fashion on the scale most of the time. Read this:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

• Casey_Coleman34
    Options
    Oh yeah I know it wasn’t a full pound of fat. I wish it were that easy haha. We’ve been eating the same stuff for months now and we’ve both maintained weight. It’s crazy though because I should be at such a deficit with what I’m eating for me being 6’7 240
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

You don't lose an actual Lb overnight...as in a Lb of fat. Bodyweight fluctuates...that was just a natural fluctuation. Do the math.
  • Casey_Coleman34
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

You don't lose an actual Lb overnight...as in a Lb of fat. Bodyweight fluctuates...that was just a natural fluctuation. Do the math.

Yes I understand you don’t lose a pound of fat over night. I never specified it was a pound of fat. Just a pound.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I know it wasn’t a full pound of fat. I wish it were that easy haha. We’ve been eating the same stuff for months now and we’ve both maintained weight. It’s crazy though because I should be at such a deficit with what I’m eating for me being 6’7 240

You are probably eating more calories than you realize. Do you use a food scale and do you personally verify the MFP entries you select?

At 6'7" you have to be really close to your healthy range if not already in it, right?
  • Casey_Coleman34
    Options

You are probably eating more calories than you realize. Do you use a food scale and do you personally verify the MFP entries you select?

At 6'7" you have to be really close to your healthy range if not already in it, right?[/quote]

Yes I use a food scale and scan the barcodes of what I eat. I don’t type it in because I could pick the wrong thing. And yes I’m in my healthy range that I’d like to be in but I’m just trying to get this last 10 pounds off and get to around 10% BF.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    fat-vs-muscle-4.jpg?fit=500%2C400&ssl=1
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @Casey_Coleman34 From waaaay out here in my small corner of the world, you look greaaaaattt.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

At 6'7" you have to be really close to your healthy range if not already in it, right?

Yes I use a food scale and scan the barcodes of what I eat. I don’t type it in because I could pick the wrong thing. And yes I’m in my healthy range that I’d like to be in but I’m just trying to get this last 10 pounds off and get to around 10% BF.

[/quote]

Scanning the barcode doesn't mean you are selecting an accurate entry, unfortunately.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

At 6'7 240lbs you are eating 1800 calories?!?!? When I was 235 at 6'3" my rmr, tested via metabolic hood at the University of Florida, was nearly 2300 cals. Woo bubba... you under eating?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

At 6'7 240lbs you are eating 1800 calories?!?!? When I was 235 at 6'3" my rmr, tested via metabolic hood at the University of Florida, was nearly 2300 cals. Woo bubba... you under eating?

Good call, D.
  • Casey_Coleman34
    Options

I could be under eating yes but I don’t feel hungry when I go to bed at night. I’m doing collegiate baseball workouts and workouts on my own so I know I’m burning calories. I have a Bluetooth scale that supposedly tells you rmr but I don’t trust that whatsoever.

• Casey_Coleman34
    Options
    fernt21 wrote: »
    I'm a female, 5'6, 116 lbs and lose weight eating 2500 calories a day. I'm not sure how you could be eating a true 1800 calories per day and not freaking starving and losing at a rapid rate. There's something missing from this story? How active are you? are you 100% positive you are only eating 1800 calories per day?

I’m not sure either I just eat when I’m hungry. I’d say I’m pretty active, I’m on a college baseball workout and conditioning plan 5 days of the week along with 4 hour practices 6 days a week. I’m pretty positive I am but I’ll try to do better this next week and see if I’m missing anything. I’ll be back with an update!

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

I'd say that if he isn't losing weight his logging is very inaccurate. If he really were only eating 1800 calories he would be losing at least 2 pounds a week.