Is it ok to eat PAM, The buttered flavor??

Options

Replies

• annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Vegetable oil, etc is bad for u and I believe that is what the butter flavor one has in it. Also if u spray it directly on food, it wont taste right because of the propellants that give it the ability to come out of spray can, and I can't imagine propellants being good for u... it is a cooking spray, not a food spray.

I cook using pam olive oil spray
  • msblueyes5
    msblueyes5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Just FYI, the 0 calories sprays actually have calories, but they are rounded down to 0. I think the law says that if it's less than 5 cals per serving they may write "0". So each spray is probably about 4 calories. If you spray a whole bunch, make no mistake - you are adding calories.
    Ya someone else just told me that!! Crazy!! Thanks for letting me know!
  • msblueyes5
    Options
    Vegetable oil, etc is bad for u and I believe that is what the butter flavor one has in it. Also if u spray it directly on food, it wont taste right because of the propellants that give it the ability to come out of spray can, and I can't imagine propellants being good for u... it is a cooking spray, not a food spray.

I cook using pam olive oil spray
    Thanks for the advice :)
  • Jesse13
    Options
    I bought the spray butter (Pam) and it does have calories. I don't like it because it states that a second of spraying equals x amount of calories (??). I am sure that spray for more than a second...I would rather use the real thing and know for sure how much I am adding to the foods...
  • msblueyes5
    Options
    I bought the spray butter (Pam) and it does have calories. I don't like it because it states that a second of spraying equals x amount of calories (??). I am sure that spray for more than a second...I would rather use the real thing and know for sure how much I am adding to the foods...
    I actually bought the generic brand not the actual PAM brand but its the same thing and was easier to type this way.
  • jtapp9
    jtapp9 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    FYI from the Hungry Girl website....also, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter ALSO does have calories. I believe it is an FDA rule that if a PER SERVING has less than 5 claoires it can be labled and 0 calories. But i don't know anyone who can spray that fast! :)

If there are only trace calories in each tiny serving of something, a company is allowed to say their product has zero calories. The problem? There are a whopping 350 - 600 plus servings in one can of cooking spray (depending on the size and brand)! And each of those "servings" translates into a frighteningly quick 1/3 of a second spritz. Who on Earth uses so little spray (or even has good enough reflexes to spray that quickly)? The truth is that there are about 7 calories per each 1 second spray (Pam even states this on their website). I estimate that the typical spray-time required to thoroughly lightly coat a pan is around 2 seconds. That still adds up to less than 15 calories (much, much less than what you'd be taking in if you used regular cooking oil). The problem, though, is that people think nonstick cooking spray is absolutely calorie free and practically drench their pans, skillets and foil with the stuff. Try not to fall into that trap. Stick with the spray, but use it sparingly. Pssst...the same goes for "I Can't Believe it's Not Butter" spray.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    http://www.organicauthority.com/health/i-cant-believe-its-not-butter-the-ugly-truth-about-vegan-margarine.html

Just sayin'. And those flavored sprays usually aren’t just butter-flavored oil (they are soy, corn, and canola). Butter is better for you, and you only need a little bit. Or none at all. Or why not just a little olive oil?

You are welcome to eat what you want and believe whatever you would like about your food, but my concerns with it are that it isn’t “healthier” than real butter, and I think avoiding genetically modified foods (the canola, soy, and corn) if you can is a good thing.

But if you want to spray, spray away!
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Cooking spray i think you should only use to cook with. But you can buy parkay spray butter, or i cant believe its not butter spray to eat witth and they r 0 cals also!!!
    Thats what everyone is say. I think I will try the I can't believe its not butter! Thanks so much :)

That's what I WAs going to recommend also! I love that stuff! Thanks everyone for the info about it actually having calories. I will have to take it into account, but I still feel like I'm saving calories than If I used the real thing.
  • msblueyes5
    Options
    FYI from the Hungry Girl website....also, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter ALSO does have calories. I believe it is an FDA rule that if a PER SERVING has less than 5 claoires it can be labled and 0 calories. But i don't know anyone who can spray that fast! :)

If there are only trace calories in each tiny serving of something, a company is allowed to say their product has zero calories. The problem? There are a whopping 350 - 600 plus servings in one can of cooking spray (depending on the size and brand)! And each of those "servings" translates into a frighteningly quick 1/3 of a second spritz. Who on Earth uses so little spray (or even has good enough reflexes to spray that quickly)? The truth is that there are about 7 calories per each 1 second spray (Pam even states this on their website). I estimate that the typical spray-time required to thoroughly lightly coat a pan is around 2 seconds. That still adds up to less than 15 calories (much, much less than what you'd be taking in if you used regular cooking oil). The problem, though, is that people think nonstick cooking spray is absolutely calorie free and practically drench their pans, skillets and foil with the stuff. Try not to fall into that trap. Stick with the spray, but use it sparingly. Pssst...the same goes for "I Can't Believe it's Not Butter" spray.
    Awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time to give me all this info!! I really appreciate it!
  • msblueyes5
    Options
    http://www.organicauthority.com/health/i-cant-believe-its-not-butter-the-ugly-truth-about-vegan-margarine.html

Just sayin'. And those flavored sprays usually aren’t just butter-flavored oil (they are soy, corn, and canola). Butter is better for you, and you only need a little bit. Or none at all. Or why not just a little olive oil?

You are welcome to eat what you want and believe whatever you would like about your food, but my concerns with it are that it isn’t “healthier” than real butter, and I think avoiding genetically modified foods (the canola, soy, and corn) if you can is a good thing.

But if you want to spray, spray away!
    I didn't know alot about it thats why I posted this topic..I now know alot more and won't be using it the way I was going to. I hate olive oil so thats not an option but its all good!
  • JennsLosing
    Options
    If you are looking to top already cooked food.. I would get the I cant believe its not butter spray.. I think its minimal calories per spray.
    this is what i was going to suggest
  • msblueyes5
    Options
    Cooking spray i think you should only use to cook with. But you can buy parkay spray butter, or i cant believe its not butter spray to eat witth and they r 0 cals also!!!
    Thats what everyone is say. I think I will try the I can't believe its not butter! Thanks so much :)

That's what I WAs going to recommend also! I love that stuff! Thanks everyone for the info about it actually having calories. I will have to take it into account, but I still feel like I'm saving calories than If I used the real thing.

I never tried I can't believe it's not butter! Now im excited to test it out lol!
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Just as an aside, they make olive oil misters that you fill yourself. For those that want to limit their chemical intake and stay "cleaner", it is a great way to mist your pans. Some of them clog a bit, though.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    . You might try the olive oil pan spray (it is in most cases just olive oil and propellant without unnatural flavorings) or the I Can't Believe it's Not Butter Spray (carried near butter/margerine in the grocery store) - it's low in calories too, and won't have the chemical taste. I
    I use the butter spray too..I think 15 pumps has a certain amount of calories, but its already in the food data base so you don't have to hunt for it. I love it and use it in place of butter.
  • msblueyes5
    Options
    . You might try the olive oil pan spray (it is in most cases just olive oil and propellant without unnatural flavorings) or the I Can't Believe it's Not Butter Spray (carried near butter/margerine in the grocery store) - it's low in calories too, and won't have the chemical taste. I
    I use the butter spray too..I think 15 pumps has a certain amount of calories, but its already in the food data base so you don't have to hunt for it. I love it and use it in place of butter.
    Thanks!
  • judyg33437
    judyg33437 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have recently been diagnosed with EPI which is a pancreatic insufficiency causing me to not digest all foods well. I recently have been eating popcorn, no problem but then I started spraying it with butter-flavored PAM (or similar) and also using it on corn on the cob and string beans.I found myself getting sick again and traced the culprit to this spray so just from my experience, I would say it is not a good idea to use it without cooking. I can use it on a pan for cooking with no problem. I hope this info helps someone.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    When a product says it has zero calories per serving, it is taking advantage of the rounding rules that allow them to call anything under 5 calories to be zero. If the serving is small enough, almost anything can be "zero calories" by that definition. For example, by this definition a 1/4 teaspoon of sugar has "zero calories."

Pam can be called zero calories because the serving size translates to a spray of about 1/3 of a second. A one second spray is about 21 calories. How long might you spray that bowl of rice to give it flavor? 5 seconds? That's about 100 calories for which you could have had a tablespoon of butter.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Yes you can eat it. Just be aware it is not 0 calories. A 0.2 second long spray rounds down to 0 calories, so they're allowed to say its 0 on the package. If you use more it has the same calories as any other oil. But you won't know how much you used since timing it is hard.

Also keep in mind that fats are healthy for you. And you need a reasonable amount in your diet.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    msblueyes5 wrote: »

I never tried I can't believe it's not butter! Now im excited to test it out lol!

It’s great for corn on the cob! Everything has calories except water, so you have to be aware of that when counting calories. It’s not as good as real butter, but saves a lot of calories, for me as I tend to use more butter than I should. I use it on air popped popcorn too.