It says to eat 3500 cal a day when I work out to lose weight

Options
This seems like a lot. The most I seem to eat is 2200 a day. Before my workout it says to eat 2900. Anyone have some meal recommendations then can post so I can try to reach the goal for a week or two and see if it makes a difference?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're seeing an adjustment of 600 calories for your workouts. Is this a workout you're logging manually or is this an adjustment from a fitness tracker?

2,200 calories isn't that much. If you're struggling to meet that goal, my first thought would be to wonder if you're accurately logging what you're eating or if you accidentally might be eating more than you think you are.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    feel free to look at my diary - i avg between 2700 and 2900 on maintenance
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    What are your current stats?

For comparison, I’m female, 5’8”, 218lbs, work a non-active desk job and my maintenance calories are about 2500 (I have an activity tracker with HRM to give me my calorie burn number).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    A good chance your calories burned from exercise are also overstated.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,898 Member
    Options
    If you're confident your calories are accurate (meticulous logging of cross-checked database items, food scale, all that jazz), then it's fine to add some calorie-dense foods to your intake, things that aren't very filling, to reach your calorie goal.

If your nutrition's taken care of, it's fine to use less nutrition-dense treat foods to hit calories (chocolate, chips/crisps, baked goods, etc.). If you prefer more nutritious add-ons, some options to consider are calorie-dense foods like nuts, nut butters, seeds, more oils (olive, macadamia, walnut, whatever) in cooking or on veggies/salads, avocados, fattier cuts of meat or fatty fish, full-fat rather than lowfat dairy if you eat dairy, etc. Some people find it easier to drink extra calories rather than eat them, so shakes or smoothies or juices might be an option.
  • tterbecki
    tterbecki Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    hipari wrote: »

For comparison, I’m female, 5’8”, 218lbs, work a non-active desk job and my maintenance calories are about 2500 (I have an activity tracker with HRM to give me my calorie burn number).

I’m 6’2” 255 pounds. Work in two kitchens on my feet 75 hours a week. I also workout 3-4 times a week. To lose weight it says to eat 2900 cal on days without going to the gym. Then 3500 on days I do workout.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    tterbecki wrote: »

I’m 6’2” 255 pounds. Work in two kitchens on my feet 75 hours a week. I also workout 3-4 times a week. To lose weight it says to eat 2900 cal on days without going to the gym. Then 3500 on days I do workout.

The numbers definitely track then.