Stepping on the scale throughout the day?

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    I absolutely never weigh myself throughout the day.

I weigh myself weekly and thats it.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    in the morning. b4 work out. after workout and end of day (when i think of it). i am not obsessed. i am curious. often my weight at the end of the day is less than start of day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    There’s a video about that. Maybe someone Can post it

The video with shirtless Scooby? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYMNPP2ZR1U&t=5s
    Yes, great!

• koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Our scale is in the bathroom so I hop on it when I'm in there - but I really only officially log once a week or so. The fluctuations I see during the day/week don't mean much.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    It’s pointless.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Stepping on the scale throughout the day?

No ... there's no point to doing that.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    As someone who is also into numbers, it may be interesting to see how quickly eating a salty meal would do to the number on the scale...is it within the hour? longer?? But to do that everyday? Nope, I just couldn't do it because it would make me crazy
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I should add that I am a scientist / computer scientist, so... I love numbers. I log my weight daily (first thing in the morning always).

This is me too, and yes I do! Especially at night before bed—gives me an idea what it will look like in the morning.
  • wsusan162
    wsusan162 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    In the video he says that medical grade scale is "the gold standard".......we have four of them standing next to each other at the gym at work....and all four show different weights, so which one would you believe. My coworkers and I were getting on them and laughing at the differences. I get on my home scale once a day, but no more often than that, and log the weight once a week
  • justanotherguy2020
    justanotherguy2020 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    All good comments
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    All good comments

If we don't know our numbers we don't know our business. Once a day for me with a passing glance so I don't have to knock up against it with rebound weight gain with friends Starting over and over and over again.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting to audit my numbers periodically. My favorite is getting on the scale right before bed and then getting on again in the morning *before the potty break* to see how much my weight changed with just 5-6 hours of respiration. It's usually a greater loss in the winter than in the summer, and sometimes over a pound. FROM JUST BREATHING. o_O Usually, I end up resolving to get a humidifier for my bedroom, and then forgetting about it during my first cup of coffee. ;-)

I find with the heat low enough at night (and sufficient blankets,) there is no need for a humidifier in my bedroom :)

The heat is pretty low during the day as well.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting to audit my numbers periodically. My favorite is getting on the scale right before bed and then getting on again in the morning *before the potty break* to see how much my weight changed with just 5-6 hours of respiration. It's usually a greater loss in the winter than in the summer, and sometimes over a pound. FROM JUST BREATHING. o_O Usually, I end up resolving to get a humidifier for my bedroom, and then forgetting about it during my first cup of coffee. ;-)

Me too. For months I loved doing the comparison of the scale right before bed, versus as soon as I woke up before bathroom break. I've gotten a little bored with it lately and don't do it much anymore as I kinda get how it all works now, but for a while it provided much entertainment B)

I usually lose 1.2 lbs overnight, before bathroom break, and for a while I was truly perplexed as to where it was all going. Perspiration and respiration, of course - I know that now. What really interested me was how some days it would be 2.0 - 3.2 pounds, I mean, that seems so huge for 7 hours later while doing nothing but sleeping, where did it all go!!???!!

My most interesting finding was when I would drink a lot before going to bed. Like, a huge glass or two of water that weighed 1 + pounds. That weight would just ... be gone in the morning. No retention of that water at all regardless of not taking a pee break during the night. It just ... evaporated off, or occasionally I'd retain maybe 0.2 or 0.4 pounds of it, but never more than that.

I find it all pretty interesting, actually. Also, I learned that a good night's sleep is when I seem to lose the weight. Those 3+ pound overnight losses are usually the real weight loss - that weight never comes back, that's the woosh for me and it establishes a new lower baseline from which my weight bounce around for a week or so until it happens again. When I'm sleeping less or more irregularly, the weight loss slows down considerably. There's some kind of tie-in between sleep and weight loss that I don't think is fully understood, at least by me LOL
  • justanotherguy2020
    justanotherguy2020 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I love tgat I’m not the only one lol
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I don’t understand the disagrees. Really, what is the purpose of weighing several times per day? What does it tell you? Please explain. To me, it seems a bit obsessive, actually, quite a bit.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    I don’t understand the disagrees. Really, what is the purpose of weighing several times per day? What does it tell you? Please explain. To me, it seems a bit obsessive, actually, quite a bit.

I agree.

I have done it but all it tells me is that I've gained a bit of weight because of the weight of food and water. And I already knew that so there is no point for me to have a scale tell me.