What to do!?! Ramen-lover....

Options
I am a ramen noodle lover. Like most people, I survived on it while I was doing my undergrad and staying on campus. Even before from college, I usually ate it. One of my friends warned me about the sodium before in the noodles but I always thought "I can drink a bunch of water and it would be fine."

It wasn't until one day that I logged into my diary when I ate a whole packet of noodles that I saw my sodium go up and over. I was so devastated. I haven't had it some in sometime. The last time I had a half a packet (which is what you're suppose to do) and I was fine but I still have the urge to put the whole packet in the pot.

I want to find a better way make the noodles and/or soup base besides hoping on a plane and flying to Japan and/or China (which I wouldn't mind doing one bit!)

Any suggestions?

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Use the noodles but make a broth for them with the low-sodium stock of your choice and/or miso paste. Add sliced veg and/or meat.

:flowerforyou:
  • Matchamatcha
    Matchamatcha Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain! Although we call them 2min noodles over here. Whenever I eat them now it's usually half a packet and I add in some frozen veg like beans, peas, or some fresh chinese veg if I have any.

The only thing I can suggest is researching some easy recipes for the actual dishes/flavours? Not quite the same I know, but then you're in control of whatever you put in.
  • smscott87
    Options
    Use the noodles but make a broth for them with the low-sodium stock of your choice and/or miso paste. Add sliced veg and/or meat.

:flowerforyou:

I will have to try that. Thanks!
  • smscott87
    Options
    I totally feel your pain! Although we call them 2min noodles over here. Whenever I eat them now it's usually half a packet and I add in some frozen veg like beans, peas, or some fresh chinese veg if I have any.

The only thing I can suggest is researching some easy recipes for the actual dishes/flavours? Not quite the same I know, but then you're in control of whatever you put in.

That sounds good. Thanks for the advice.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    So eating two packets at once is frowned upon? got it...
  • MamaKatel
    Options
    I stopped eat Ramen noodles once I found out they had partically hydrogenated oils.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    You can always remove the sodium from your food diary...

I havnt had any since i started dieting but i used to make it a hearty meal and add veggies to it and crack an egg in it or add shrimp to it.
  • christianfrog
    christianfrog Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I totally love ramen...creamy chicken with a slice of american cheese melted in. So not healthy, but oh so yummy. Especially when sick. I figure like everything else, if its eaten in moderation, then its ok.
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Have to confess, I don't watch my sodium...but when I was in college, right there with ya on the Ramen thing. I quickly learned that I like "sticky" Ramen...kind of like sticky rice.

So I would cook the noodles, drain off most if not all the water, and lightly sprinkle 1/4-1/2 of the seasoning packet on and throw the rest away. Without the broth to dilute the seasoning, it was too strong for me. Also cut down on the sodium!

Sometimes, I would add tuna, but I've also found that I like chicken and mixed vegetables in it, too. Had a roommate once who put apple slices in it--boy did that smell good. I should have asked for her recipe.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    You can always remove the sodium from your food diary...
    Genius! Then it doesn't count!
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Have you ever looked at the amount of saturated fat??
  • smscott87
    Options
    Have you ever looked at the amount of saturated fat??

The saturated fat for the whole packet is 7g
  • pinkbride2011
    Options
    I would eat ramen every day if I could. My mom said that's all my brother and I ever wanted to eat as kids... and she let us. I stopped eating it regularly after college, but when I'm sick I still eat it. I like it without broth, I boil the noodles, add the broth, then drain all the water.

Now I'm craving them, I knew I shouldn't have read this post.:ohwell: