Intermittent Fasting

Options
SageMoonMage
SageMoonMage Posts: 1 Member
I’ve recently started fasting to help kickstart my metabolism and weight loss. I’m doing 16:8. Meal hours will be from 11am-7pm. Anyone else tried fasting? How did/is it work/ing for you?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism does not need kick starting if even if it did fasting would not be the right way to do it.

If this is an easy way for you to stay in a calorie deficit it should work just fine for you. If you struggle to do it you may need to try something else. How it works for other people will have no bearing on how it will work for you. People can lose weight in any system that results in a calorie deficit. What really matters is how easy it is for you to stick to whatever system you use.
  • momas1959
    momas1959 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hello i am fasting too.i started with 16/8 nothing went to 17/6 still nothing now i am on day 4 -19/5 not sure if its going to work for me .but i know it has worked for my older sister she has lost 40 pounds
  • suzieqandspotty
    suzieqandspotty Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting. It works great for me. I eat between 10 am and 2 PM most days.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    momas1959 wrote: »
    hello i am fasting too.i started with 16/8 nothing went to 17/6 still nothing now i am on day 4 -19/5 not sure if its going to work for me .but i know it has worked for my older sister she has lost 40 pounds

You still need to eat in a calorie deficit within that window.
  • cathy825
    cathy825 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello, I've been doing the 16/8 window and it seems fairly easy for me to stay within the parameters during the work week its a little more difficult during the weekends. Even drinking the black coffee has been pretty easy. I've been in the program for 2 weeks and so far I've lost 2lbs which I'm happy about. I also use the food diary on my MFP app and its actually hard for me to eat enough calories according to the app. Since, the hours that I'm able to eat usually I'm really busy so I'm not thinking about food during those times. I have found that I need to eat a really good dinner with lots of protein to keep me going through out the next day.

Any tips from anyone would be great.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    cathy825 wrote: »
    Hello, I've been doing the 16/8 window and it seems fairly easy for me to stay within the parameters during the work week its a little more difficult during the weekends. Even drinking the black coffee has been pretty easy. I've been in the program for 2 weeks and so far I've lost 2lbs which I'm happy about. I also use the food diary on my MFP app and its actually hard for me to eat enough calories according to the app. Since, the hours that I'm able to eat usually I'm really busy so I'm not thinking about food during those times. I have found that I need to eat a really good dinner with lots of protein to keep me going through out the next day.

Any tips from anyone would be great.

Are you using a food scale and are you verifying that the calories you log from the MFP database match the label or the USDA site? If not you may be eating more than you think. You also need to start with logging everything and inspect everything for calories.

If your food logging is accurate you will need to eat enough calories to meet your daily/weekly goal. This only trips people up if they think they have to eat "healthy" or "diet" food. You only need to stay within your calorie goal to lose weight. Anything that you can moderate is still on the menu.

• cathy825
    cathy825 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Are you using a food scale and are you verifying that the calories you log from the MFP database match the label or the USDA site? If not you may be eating more than you think. You also need to start with logging everything and inspect everything for calories.

If your food logging is accurate you will need to eat enough calories to meet your daily/weekly goal. This only trips people up if they think they have to eat "healthy" or "diet" food. You only need to stay within your calorie goal to lose weight. Anything that you can moderate is still on the menu.

[/quote]

While I do use the diary on MFP and I do my best to accurately account for the food that I'm eating. I'm also just using that as a guideline. I said I find it difficult to eat enough calories but whether its a little less today and maybe a little more tomorrow I am going to eat healthy and not under eat which again is why I use the diary - accountability and guidance.

For me personally having general parameters of my food intake and steps/exercise is more than enough. I don't want to overthink every single thing I eat because for me that would make me want to do this less. Even chatting on here keeps healthy eating on mind throughout the day. Like you said everyone has to find the right system that works for them.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    cathy825 wrote: »

While I do use the diary on MFP and I do my best to accurately account for the food that I'm eating. I'm also just using that as a guideline. I said I find it difficult to eat enough calories but whether its a little less today and maybe a little more tomorrow I am going to eat healthy and not under eat which again is why I use the diary - accountability and guidance.

For me personally having general parameters of my food intake and steps/exercise is more than enough. I don't want to overthink every single thing I eat because for me that would make me want to do this less. Even chatting on here keeps healthy eating on mind throughout the day. Like you said everyone has to find the right system that works for them.

Some people strive very hard to eat very close to their calorie goal each day. I am not one of them. I manage myself by the week. Some days I eat more. Some days I eat less. If I see my average falling too low then it is a good time to get an extra fun meal like pizza.

I also do not like thinking about the process too much during the day. That is not what I consider normal and my system revolves around keeping things as normal as possible. Over time I have to keep making changes and shifting my normal but I am cautious not to shift too much at a time. I never want to leave normal too far behind.

Unfortunately you will have to think about it more until you get a sustainable routine firmly established. It is not safe to think you have it all figured out. I have been at this 2 years and it is not even safe for me to think that.