Samsung galaxy watch steps

Options
Anyone having issues with galaxy watch not counting steps on watch? I can walk and it will not increase. I've reset the phone and watch. Any suggestions other than return it?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Resetting the phone shouldn't matter a bit for reading the step count on the watch go up.
    You might try Samsung support channel - could be easy fix.
  • slimdownt
    slimdownt Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Anyone else?
  • serinaster
    serinaster Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue too. I upgraded to the watch from a Gear and the Gear was pretty point on about calculating my steps compared to the watch. Apparently it's a common issue if you look at the reviews. Another issue I've noticed is it counts steps when I'm dressing! Sometimes if I'm trying multiple items it logs it as a workout!

I haven't done further research to see if there've been recommendations on how to fix the issue. Usually I go to Amazon reviews for such insight.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I am getting steps, but the exercise burnt is ADDING to my totals. For example, let's assume I ate 1200 calories, and burned 400. My calorie totals are 1200 + 400 = 1600. This puts me in the red even though I am technically under (1200 - 400) = 800. Strange, never had this happen before with fitbit.
  • heybales
    Options
    madwells1 wrote: »
    I am getting steps, but the exercise burnt is ADDING to my totals. For example, let's assume I ate 1200 calories, and burned 400. My calorie totals are 1200 + 400 = 1600. This puts me in the red even though I am technically under (1200 - 400) = 800. Strange, never had this happen before with fitbit.

That's how it's supposed to work.

Base calories no exercise accounted for say 1200 + 400 exercise = 1600 new eating goal.

You burned 400 more than MFP was expecting, so you eat 400 more than it planned on.
    Same deficit with or without exercise.

Life lesson regarding weight control.
    You do more, you eat more.
    You do less, you eat less.

Fitbit doesn't send workouts over though, MFP only comes up with an adjustment that falls under exercise and causes the exact same effect.

If you didn't get adjustments to your base eating goal with Fitbit and adjustments, then either you had negative calorie adjustment disabled as it is by default, and you had a high base activity level on MFP, and never burned more than MFP was expecting anyway.

Or you had premium and disabled adjustments.

Or your syncing was screwed up.

• madwells1
    Options
    Thanks @heybabes. I don't think I explained things correctly. Essentially, the 400 calories (from above example) are being treated as though I am eating the exercise calories. Here is an example from yesterday with the real numbers.

If you look at the totals at the bottom, you will see that my daily goal is 950. This is the issue. I had 910 extra calories (based on my workout and my daily activities, and this was taken away from my original total of 1860 calories for the day (my goal calories).

I am not getting this added to my daily calorie goal like it used to be, it is actually being treated as though am eating my workout in calories!!!!

Sorry for the confusion.

5ixzbqt80qn0.png
  • heybales
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Ahhh - that is the other issue like Apple has probably.

Go to the Exercise Diary where it shows the adjustment and any workouts synced or manually logged.
    Tap and hold (or web account click on blue i) for details on the adjustment - time of sync, calories at time, MFP expected burn - everything needed to troubleshoot.

Tracker account is supposed to send a total calories burned figure with time stamp.
    Total means total - any workouts would be in there too, of course extra activity too.

Apple is worst - they send over a daily burn figure for Sedentary. They send nothing about extra activity.
    They do send workouts though. Which are not in that daily burn figure.
    MFP does the math expecting that total means total - so workouts are subtracted from adjustment since they'll be added back in to eating calories.

Say tracker sent daily burned 3270 - MFP expected 2360 - workouts shown 910 = 0 adjustment

Eating goal 1860 (500 cal deficit) + workouts 910 = 2770 eating goal (same 500 cal deficit).

But if tracker sent a daily burned that did not have those workout calories included, then:
    tracker 2360 - MFP 2360 - workouts 910 = neg 910 adjustment.

Eating goal 1860 - 910 adj + 910 workouts = 1860 eating goal.

Now - this math isn't correct because MFP wouldn't go below 1200 - so your base eating must be higher.
    And the workouts may not have been totally that, the adjustment may have been different.

So that's why screen shot of the Adj info is needed.
    Do you manually enter your workouts on MFP?
    Are they workouts already in Samsung stats?

• madwells1
    Options
    Thanks!!
    I logged out of my accounts last night, and woke up to them still showing incorrect info (web wasn't synced with phone MFP, MFP improper adjustments with Samsung, etc.).

Note as of 1 hour ago, all are synced together and reflective of the way things should be. Whatever the issue, things are fixed now.

FYI, I don't manually enter workouts, just use the daily steps/activity from Samsung, and my base is higher than 1200.