Foods Disappearing From Search

Options
When you don’t enter a food for thirty days, it doesn’t automatically come up when you’re logging foods.

We were out of the country for several weeks. Now that I’m back, food that was in my regular rotation has naturally disappeared from auto fill, and I have to rebuild my regular foods for my diary.

But, I can no longer find many via search. At first, I thought it was me, misspelling or misnaming items but I’ve run across a number of items I can no longer record that were searchable previously. I can’t find them anywhere.

Any suggestions? This is driving me absolutely bonkers.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    You can go to days in your diary farther back than 30 days where you logged those foods and copy the entire meal to today (you may have to use the website to do this -- I find the app to be more limited for copying meals when it comes to date ranges, and I'm not sure if you can do it in the app). Of course, you'll then have to delete any extra items that were in the old meal that you didn't eat today.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    You can go to days in your diary farther back than 30 days where you logged those foods and copy the entire meal to today (you may have to use the website to do this -- I find the app to be more limited for copying meals when it comes to date ranges, and I'm not sure if you can do it in the app). Of course, you'll then have to delete any extra items that were in the old meal that you didn't eat today.

What a great idea! Thank you. 😊

I use the app exclusively and I’m pretty sure this will work, I think I’ve spotted that functionality in the past. I’ll test it out next time.

I’ve noticed this problem too. Specifically for items from Sainsbury’s, which is a bit weird! I wondered if some intern at MFP had been given the impossible task of cleaning up the database and had not recognised the name of a U.K. supermarket so trashed all items! 🤯😂

Of course, it could just look like a vendetta against Sainsbury’s because that’s where I shop most and therefore almost all my entries include it in the search I use! 🙄
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've noticed it too, mainly when planning recipes because I don't have my recent list. I've had to scan things because even when comparing and typing in exactly what the listing in the database says, it won't come up.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,470 Member
    Options
    Interesting you’ve noticed it with sainsbury’s. I’ve specifically noticed it with Lidl and Trader Joe’s. I bought some tiny little hard candies from the See’s chocolate chain in California and they disappeared, too. I like to stick one in my pocket to enjoy on my walk home from yoga once in a while.

The other peculiar thing I noticed is that since we got back, I now have to search a name exactly as it was entered. For example before I would enter trader “Joe”, and it would include “Joe’s” and “Joes” in the results. But now I have to search under all three spellings.

It’s minor in the grand scheme of things, but still annoying.

I’m wondering if perhaps there’s a different MFP search engine in Europe and I’m stuck in it? I’m getting a lot of foreign language results in MFP. My google searches and ad algorithms are also picking up foreign language results and ads.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm back again after most of a year away (when will I learn, eh?) and have also noticed that Sainsbury's in particular is patchy. It's especially noticeable with fresh foods (Sainsbury's salad tomatoes - a regular ingredient in my recipes - I can't find anywhere), but other staples are missing too.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Looks like we’re uncovering what may have changed...

I’ve been experimenting with this a little and it appears that they may have changed how the search algorithm deals with apostrophes (amongst other punctuation I imagine).

I’ve always used ‘Sainsbury’s’ when searching but now I’m finding that ‘Sainsburys’ brings up the items that appeared lost much more reliably.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I find it's worse with the foods I've entered myself or edited in the database. I feel like the individual search is broken/the link to each user's foods.

That's a good point - I don't think I can find any of the foods I entered myself. Hmm.