Having trouble keeping fat down and protein up.

Options
I keep finding that I am eating too much fat and not enough protein. It’s tough because I’m trying to eat well, but cheese and nuts and eggs are adding too much fat and not enough protein.

Any tips for high protein, low fat options. I’m not scared of eating fats, but my proportions are just off. Thanks!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    For the most part, macro recommendations are a vague suggestion and not something that needs to be perfectly adhered to. It is important for good health to get at least the minimum amounts of protein and fat though.

If you are routinely coming in under the MFP default protein goal, but struggling to keep fats down, maybe try taking those calories from your carbs instead.

I found planning and prelogging the protein into my meals and snacks really helped. Other than trying to hit my fiber goal, I don't really pay much attention to carbs and fat.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    0% fat dairy such as plain Greek yogurt or skim milk (a couple brands offer extra protein).

Protein powders (in a smoothie for example) tend to be pretty low fat.

Egg whites.
  • foggyfeather
    foggyfeather Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, fish fresh or canned, greek yogurt, protien powder in smoothies or make protien pancakes with protien powder, lean turkey meatballs, or ground turkey breast or extra lean ground chicken. Good luck
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about getting more than the default proportion of fat in and of itself. I would only worry about it if that is putting you at your calorie goal without leaving you room for protein, and you can't/don't want to cut carbs instead.

You can try low fat or fat free dairy, though there is a flavor trade-off for many of these. I've just re-discovered the joy of full fat cheese after having "light" cheeses for years, and...well, I'll take a small amount of the regular cheese any day. I do like 0% Greek yogurt, maybe because I've never tried full fat Greek yogurt :) It really is about what tastes good to you, though.

I'd swap the whole eggs for egg whites unless you really like whole eggs. I would also reduce the nuts unless you love them, since they're quite high fat/calories and low protein. I personally do not have nuts very often because even though I like them, I think they're too high calorie for the little satiety I get from them.

Another option is plant proteins. Many of these are relatively low in fat.

I would also note that if your goal is weight management, "eating well" does not do anything regarding fat gain/loss/maintenance. Weight management is 100% about the calories you take in compared to the calories you burn.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I would not worry about getting more than the default proportion of fat in and of itself. I would only worry about it if that is putting you at your calorie goal without leaving you room for protein, and you can't/don't want to cut carbs instead.

This.

Re protein, you identify one of the higher fat sources of protein (eggs), and then two foods (nuts and cheese) that I don't really think of as protein sources, but fat sources that have some incidental protein which can be a bonus. (None of this is a slam on those foods -- I try to eat nuts and seeds every day due to their nutrient profile, and I love eggs and personally always eat them whole, not just egg whites. But I don't assume they are going to be high protein or low fat. Cheese, well, it's super tasty, and since I eat it for the taste I don't bother with reduced fat cheese, but some sources do provide lots of flavor for small amounts, like feta.)

You don't say if you are a vegetarian. If not, the most obvious sources of protein are fish and other meat. There are many low or relatively low fat options that will have lots of protein.

If you are a vegetarian, low fat dairy (especially greek yogurt and cottage cheese), as already mentioned. Also beans, lentils, and tofu, tempeh, and seitan.
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    white part of a hard boiled egg and Costco tuna fish. My favourite lunch is a salad w roasted red peppers, chopped hard boiled egg, spinach and 1/2 a can of Costco tuna in water. Drizzle some balsamic over that.
    also, increase your veggie intake there is protein in a lot of veggies that adds up over the day.
    I will also add a quest bar in for a snack.
  • caprihana
    caprihana Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What about replacing your cheese and yoghurt with beans and lentils, good quality protein powder would also stabilise your macro's