When should I step on the scale? I’m scared 😱

Options
Hi! I started low carb last Sunday. I’ve stuck to the meal plan and exercised 5 days this week. I’m excited to see if there’s any progress but I’m afraid of disappointment. How often do you all weigh in? 5’2-265lbs

Replies

• Steelkid
    Steelkid Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Today is an ideal day because it's been a week. Weigh without clothes before you eat anything because this gives you a true measure of your weight, but remember, a scale weighs whatever is on it, so your weight will reflect water, fat and muscle. Any drop is water weight at this point is good. I would not weigh everyday as it can be nerve wrecking. Your body needs at least a day to adjust to what you put in it, so try to weigh once a week, no more than twice and space those days out, so when you weigh again, weigh around Thursday. Make sure to eat adequate protein to maintain your muscle. Good luck.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Once a month for me
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Daily. First thing in the morning, after a short stop in the bathroom. Put it on a weight averaging app. Don’t pay any attention to the actual scale weight, only the app.
  • thewiltedred
    thewiltedred Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do a little bit of all of the above. I like to weigh every day first thing after I use the rest room, BUT if I know i might not be in the mood to take any bad news or if it has been a bad day the day before than I know to skip the scale and wait a day or five. Self police your attitude about weighing in, know thy self enough to say "hay not today" or "Heck yea I wanna know today".

Yes the weight fluctuates soooo much depending on reasons, so the best thing I feel one can do is be aware of this and to always take that into consideration!

Look for that comfortable time scale that plays well with you!

Just my thought <3 Wilt
  • DiamndMnd
    DiamndMnd Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sometimes not for a week, sometimes twice a week. It all depends on how I'm feeling. Some programs (like beachbody programs) have you do a weigh in weekly I think. The scale is just one way to see how hard you've been working. There are a lot of nonscale victories as well like how your clothing is fitting! Keep up the good work 💪
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily... but it’s not a mental or emotional hang up for me. If I miss a day or 5 it’s not a huge deal. I feel disappointment if it goes up significantly, sure, but I also know that it’s normal and eventually it will drop. I like seeing the charts and watching the fluctuations, the steady decline over time. December was frustrating because I completely stalled out, but considering everything we had going on paired with a LOT of travel I considered it a win.
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Daily, at the same time. I use this as a guide to see if it’s going up or down for 2-3 days in a row to make a correction, or if it’s just fluctuating.
    +/- a half pound a day could be water or one meal. To track actual gain or loss, I take weekly average.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I always did so once a week, but when I fell off the scale wagon I saw increases. I'll be trying daily to re-establish the habit and keep accountable. I started today.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    If you're working out from the start.. i'd wait. why? becasue the false water weight from the tears in your muscles from working out. It can last up to six weeks. and if you step on the scale and see no progress.. the devil on your shoulder will tell you what you're doing doesn't matter and just eat what you want.

stick to what you're doing and weigh in a month or so.
  • preciouslove1
    preciouslove1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you're working out from the start.. i'd wait. why? becasue the false water weight from the tears in your muscles from working out. It can last up to six weeks. and if you step on the scale and see no progress.. the devil on your shoulder will tell you what you're doing doesn't matter and just eat what you want.

stick to what you're doing and weigh in a month or so.

• preciouslove1
    preciouslove1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    One month...that’s a very long time! I weight this morning and was 11lbs down. I plan to do it every Monday morning. But I do understand your point! Thanks
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Daily weighing is a good habit to get into--no big shocks that way!
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Weigh when it works for you! Body measurements are important too. I lost 3 inches off my hips even though I only lost 5 pounds!
  • 1972ChrisJG
    1972ChrisJG Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Once a week is fine
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I get on the scale every single day. Hoooweveeeer.... I do this because I know and understand that my weight will fluctuate and I don't let myself get excited/frustrated by gains/loss because I know that as long as it's steadily going down it's *NORMAL!!* for your weight to be up and down daily.

I don't have the willpower to wait a week, I really don't! But... if I could that's what I would do!