Stepping on the scale throughout the day?

Options

Replies

• justanotherguy2020
    justanotherguy2020 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Thread purpose is to spark conversation... which it seems to be doing well!

Conversation to establish what?

Something helpful to people? Correct forum!

Chit chat? There's a place with that name for that! 👍

I’m finding the conversation helpful, does that count?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,659 Member
    Options
    Sure! Glad to hear. How did help you? Are you modifying the way you will perform weight ins in the future?
  • justanotherguy2020
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Sure! Glad to hear. How did help you? Are you modifying the way you will perform weight ins in the future?

Yes
  • stormcrow2
    stormcrow2 Posts: 33 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    The funny thing is... our body always has a weight. There always a “number”... like continuously. When we “weigh in”, we are just peeking for a second. That’s all. Stepping on the scale does nothing... whether it frequent or seldom so long as you have the right mindset on it.

Then why bother doing it multiple times a day?
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I don’t understand the disagrees. Really, what is the purpose of weighing several times per day? What does it tell you? Please explain. To me, it seems a bit obsessive, actually, quite a bit.

It doesn’t hurt anything to do it and it satisfies some people’s love for numbers and science, like me. What’s wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with it, for you. I’m curious, what curiosity about numbers and science does it satisfy?
    For some people it could be very stressful, even detrimental, and it really doesn’t tell you anything but that weight fluctuates throughout the day., and that it’s normal. Doesn’t indicate a thing.
  • justanotherguy2020
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, I can see it now. Pinch a loaf then get on the scale and celebrate for losing .20 lbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Empirical evidence would suggest that that is a standard size loaf. Not my evidence, course..
  • justanotherguy2020
    Options
    stormcrow2 wrote: »
    The funny thing is... our body always has a weight. There always a “number”... like continuously. When we “weigh in”, we are just peeking for a second. That’s all. Stepping on the scale does nothing... whether it frequent or seldom so long as you have the right mindset on it.

Why bother doing it daily? Or weekly? Or monthly? What makes 24 hours the correct frequency to weigh ones self versus 72 hours or 2 hours?
  • justanotherguy2020
    Options
    I don’t understand the disagrees. Really, what is the purpose of weighing several times per day? What does it tell you? Please explain. To me, it seems a bit obsessive, actually, quite a bit.

It doesn’t hurt anything to do it and it satisfies some people’s love for numbers and science, like me. What’s wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with it, for you. I’m curious, what curiosity about numbers and science does it satisfy?
    For some people it could be very stressful, even detrimental, and it really doesn’t tell you anything but that weight fluctuates throughout the day., and that it’s normal. Doesn’t indicate a thing.

At no point have I advocated for others to do this; I've simply asked if I was the only one to do it more than once a day on occasion. And... clearly I am not. If it’s detrimental to a person to do this on a mental level, well, they shouldn’t do it... and probably also work on strengthening their mind. After all, weight is just a measurement, not something to base ones value or self-worth on.
  • justanotherguy2020
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »

What could be wrong is that you say that there is no harm in it and you can only speak for yourself. It could be quite harmful for another person. It could even be quite harmful for you if you continue the practice beyond initial curiosity.

I am not sure what loving numbers or science has to do with it. There is no practical application for this data. Just like there would not be a good reason to weigh yourself wearing various combinations of outfits from your closet. It would produce numbers though if you just like seeing them.

Harm is a strong word. I’ve never felt hurt coming off a scale. I almost twisted my ankle once... no wait, nevermind. Loving numbers and science is something... I love. You may not, but that doesn’t make it any less enjoyable for me.

I meant mentally harmful. Some people truly to obsess over scale numbers and it results in disordered thinking and behavior. This type of thing may be a fun for you but it should not be encouraged.

You mentioned in a later post that you use an additional scale result to motivate you to exercise. That is already questionable because you may be establishing a negative association. Ideally numbers on the scale would only be used for measure confirmation that something is happening the way it should or that a course correction might be needed.

I never encouraged it; only posed a question. Others who find it harmful should probably adjust their mental disposition to *not* seek self-worth out of a number shown on a scale...
  • missysippy930
    Options

At no point have I advocated for others to do this; I've simply asked if I was the only one to do it more than once a day on occasion. And... clearly I am not. If it’s detrimental to a person to do this on a mental level, well, they shouldn’t do it... and probably also work on strengthening their mind. After all, weight is just a measurement, not something to base ones value or self-worth on.

Judgemental. Not everyone is the same, and compassion for others insecurities may benefit.

Would you mind answering my question about what curiosity about numbers and science it satisfies? I can’t imagine what that might satisfy.
  • justanotherguy2020
    Options

Judgemental. Not everyone is the same, and compassion for others insecurities may benefit.

Would you mind answering my question about what curiosity about numbers and science it satisfies? I can’t imagine what that might satisfy.

It should be enough for me to say that it satisfies me. If I say it satisfies me, then I needn’t seek your approval of whether that is valid enough.

And no, sorry, not being judgmental at all. I have plenty of compassion for people, and can do so while still protecting my desire to seek my satisfaction.
  • missysippy930
    Options
    Because there is nothing scientific about weighing multiple times per day. I stand by my original response. Pointless.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I haven't done that since I first started running doing longer runs to see if my hydration was good enough for the run. I have a curious mind and I'm sometimes tempted to step on throughout the day but I stop myself. Not because of anything important, I just hate charging my scale's batteries so once a day is enough to keep a trend.
  • justanotherguy2020
    Options
    I haven't done that since I first started running doing longer runs to see if my hydration was good enough for the run. I have a curious mind and I'm sometimes tempted to step on throughout the day but I stop myself. Not because of anything important, I just hate charging my scale's batteries so once a day is enough to keep a trend.

Nice! I’ve noticed that my old digital scale lasts way longer on batteries than my blue tooth scale.
  • gemiller87
    gemiller87 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale twice a day, morning and night but only log Wednesday morning because it's my most stable weight pattern day. I mostly do the "check ins" to notice weekly patterns. I have a pretty solid bell curve where my lowest weight is Wednesday morning and highest is Saturday/Sunday depending on the individual weekend.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    stormcrow2 wrote: »

Why bother doing it daily? Or weekly? Or monthly? What makes 24 hours the correct frequency to weigh ones self versus 72 hours or 2 hours?

Because the point of weighing for the vast majority of people is to track fat loss/gain. In order to do that, you need to find a frequency that is often enough to catch trends, without being so often that random fluctuations muddy the waters. You don't lose or gain fat fast enough to see that on the scale from hour to hour, even the largest possible fat change would be covered up by water and digestive fluctuations. Even weighing daily involves a certain amount of effort to separate fat loss/gain from normal weight fluctuations, but if someone has the right mindset to take that roller coaster ride, they can see a fat loss trend emerge. For those who are more patient, weighing weekly even further minimizes the "noise" of normal body weight fluctuates to make fat loss/gain trend more clear (though it doesn't eliminate it entirely).

So for the vast majority of people who are weighing themselves to moderate their fat level, weighing multiple times per day is completely useless. If someone is just fascinated by the way different activities affect their total weight and understand that the fluctuations they are seeing are almost certainly either water or digestive contents, then go for it.

I am a numbers geek myself, but since there is no way to know exactly why my weight went up 2 lbs in the last 2 hours, or put that information to any possible use, I don't think multiple weigh-ins would be interesting. I guess I am more specifically a useful-numbers geek. I do see how those interested in an activity's affect on their hydration could find multiple weigh-ins useful to measure that sort of thing on an occasional basis.

Yes, I've weighed myself before and after a long run to better understand how my hydration strategy was working once or twice, but I didn't log the extra weigh-ins or use them to make any dietary decisions.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Totally normal, especially when first paying attention to everything and monitoring. I like to weigh myself when it's convenient just to see what happened. For example, this last Saturday I weighed myself (proud of course, lost a bit of weight). I ate a single serving of measured cereal, had some coffee and then my upset tummy resulted in additional weight loss (even after the food and coffee). That's always interesting to see and easy to do if I'm stripping for the shower anyway.

Have fun with it, don't go overboard or get upset as it changes. It can fluctuate pounds over a single day!