Long horn steakhouse. What do i order that wont completely kill my calorie count for day

Options
Oh my. My small group of moms (all of us have twins or triplets)i go out with for dinner once a month is going to long horn steakhouse for dinner tonight there. Menu is definitely not calorie friendly. I need suggestions on what to order for dinner that is not extreme calories. I was thinking the chicken tender salad with dressing on the side sobi can control the intake of dressing.

HELP

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    According to information online, that salad has 650 calories. Does that fit within your goals for the day?

It does look like there are lower calorie options on the menu (if that's something you're interested in).
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Get the salmon. Skip the fries. No fried onion. The steaks are from crap.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    A steak and a side of veg / if you pick a leaner cut of steak and like a 6oz side and veg that would keep you in the 600-700 cal range

But like @janejellyroll said - what are your goals? Also if it’s only a month a month thing - go out and have fun then get back on track tomorrow
  • fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yeah, dressing on the side is always a good choice. So is boxing half of a high calorie meal and taking it home. Or you could look at it as a once-in-a-while night out and just enjoy yourself.

I stay away from the bread basket and/or tortilla chips and other appetizer things. That helps a lot. So does eating half the potato, or sub potato for other steamed vegetables.

Regarless, most restaurant meals are going to be 1000-1500 calories. You could also just eat less during the day today and maybe eat lighter tomorrow. Many people "bank" a few calories when they know there is a night out coming up.

Don't stress yourself out. Have fun and get back to it tomorrow. Life happens!

This. I intentionally create deeper deficits leading up to nights like these....especially if I know those nights will have alcohol consumption.
  • raspeary
    raspeary Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes. Once a month thing. the restaurants we normally go to offer healthier options than this one. Regardless i will still most likely be within my calorie goals just trying to make the healthier choices to continue with weight goals. I am 8 ounces away from my first 5pound loss goal
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,995 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    9 oz Parmesan crusted Chicken with broccoli and side salad with raspberry vinaigrette on the side. Water or Unsweet Iced Tea to drink I think total calories is around 1000 and very filling and delicious! or the Smaller Ribeye steak with same sides is about same amount of calories
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Whatever you choose, a good trick is to order foods "dry". That way, they don't add oils and butters for flavor which is very common at a steakhouse.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    the menu has calorie counts, I think (its been a while since I was there). Stay away from anything fried or breaded. Instead chicken tenders, which are usually breaded and fried and thus calorie heavy, opt for a grilled chicken or steak salad. Better yet, order a plain grilled chicken or salmon, or a small 6 oz steak, plain. Stick with vegetables or a plain side salad with a vinegrette dressing on the side. Usually, something like asparagus or green beans are a good veggie choice - you gotta watch vegetables prepared at places like this because they can really up the calories with how they prepare them. As someone else said, definitely avoid the bread! (the bread is what kills me at Texas Roadhouse......)
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    the menu has calorie counts, I think (its been a while since I was there). Stay away from anything fried or breaded. Instead chicken tenders, which are usually breaded and fried and thus calorie heavy, opt for a grilled chicken or steak salad. Better yet, order a plain grilled chicken or salmon, or a small 6 oz steak, plain. Stick with vegetables or a plain side salad with a vinegrette dressing on the side. Usually, something like asparagus or green beans are a good veggie choice - you gotta watch vegetables prepared at places like this because they can really up the calories with how they prepare them. As someone else said, definitely avoid the bread! (the bread is what kills me at Texas Roadhouse......)

The calories for the chicken tender salad are visible online. It's 650 calories, which seems reasonable for a dinner (if OP enjoys it).
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Whatever fits in your calories for your dinner. Never been there, but looking at their menu online (calorie counts are there), personally I would choose the 6 oz sirloin, a side salad (no dressing for me) and steamed broccoli. Total calorie count for this dinner would be 510 according to their website. I try to stay away from the larger dinner salads at restaurants as those calorie counts are high when you think about what they put on them, and the amounts.
  • raspeary
    Options
    aries68mc wrote: »
    Whatever fits in your calories for your dinner. Never been there, but looking at their menu online (calorie counts are there), personally I would choose the 6 oz sirloin, a side salad (no dressing for me) and steamed broccoli. Total calorie count for this dinner would be 510 according to their website. I try to stay away from the larger dinner salads at restaurants as those calorie counts are high when you think about what they put on them, and the amounts.

Pretty much what i had decided on. It was between this and the chicken tender salad and seeing if they would substitute the tenders for grilled chicken.

Wveryone is so awesome here. Thank you

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    A steak and a side of veg / if you pick a leaner cut of steak and like a 6oz side and veg that would keep you in the 600-700 cal range

But like @janejellyroll said - what are your goals? Also if it’s only a month a month thing - go out and have fun then get back on track tomorrow

That's what I would do. Since meat portions are usually huge in steakhouses (I did not check the menu here) and because they tell you the oz, I'd normally eat a portion of the meat and bring the rest home. I'd also save up some cals over the course of the day so I had more room to eat what I wanted.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

That's what I would do. Since meat portions are usually huge in steakhouses (I did not check the menu here) and because they tell you the oz, I'd normally eat a portion of the meat and bring the rest home. I'd also save up some cals over the course of the day so I had more room to eat what I wanted.

It looks like they offer some 6 ounce portions, which would be pretty reasonable for many calorie plans (or easy to half for those wanting to eat less).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

It looks like they offer some 6 ounce portions, which would be pretty reasonable for many calorie plans (or easy to half for those wanting to eat less).

Agreed. Seems like they also offer calorie information, which is helpful.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    raspeary wrote: »
    Oh my. My small group of moms (all of us have twins or triplets)i go out with for dinner once a month is going to long horn steakhouse for dinner tonight there. Menu is definitely not calorie friendly. I need suggestions on what to order for dinner that is not extreme calories. I was thinking the chicken tender salad with dressing on the side sobi can control the intake of dressing.

HELP

Steak! It oftentimes is the lowest calorie option on the menu at a Steakhouse for what would typically be considered 1 serving size. Cuts and sizes are normally listed at a steakhouse, so you can estimate the calories pretty well and plan how many portions you want out of it. Sirloin, in particularly, is pretty lean. And won't need a massive pile of added fat & sugar to make it taste good enough to serve in a restaurant (unlike salad, chicken, fish, which tend to have a very large calorie count added in sauces, cheeses, etc...).
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I usually get prime rib, ask the kitchen to trim any obvious fat, eat half and take half home, plus asparagus and steamed veggies on the side. I eat the second half sliced on a salad or sandwich later. Avoid the free bread. Since I am diabetic I ask them to remove it from the table.

Prime rib is super high calorie but if I’m going out I want something which is a pain to cook myself even if it’s a bit of a splurge. As others have pointed out, the salmon and the sirloin are both lower calorie, but I cook both of those for myself better than they do. The asparagus costs more being one of their “premium sides” but is reasonable in calories despite their attempts to make everything high calorie (seriously, their “steamed” vegetables are dripping with butter and have twice the calories of plain steamed veggies - and there is no option for making them plain since everything comes in a baggie from a factory.)

If this is an ongoing thing, could you float the idea of a change of venue? My favorite gathering places are often locally owned ethnic places, which can have quite reasonable options mixed in with the calorie bombs. And the food is made fresh!
  • ritzvin
    Options
    just watch the table bread, wine, side dishes, as they add up fast.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    might vary by location, but..
    iwjfwk08pgo5.png
    -
    fzx9rozckcsh.png
    65lj1jc5hiqc.png
    siqf1nccrgja.png
    -
    A sirloin steak (or a portion of it) and asparagus would be a pretty low calorie count for a tasty meal.
  • raspeary
    edited January 2020
    Options
    If this is an ongoing thing, could you float the idea of a change of venue? My favorite gathering places are often locally owned ethnic places, which can have quite reasonable options mixed in with the calorie bombs. And the food is made fresh!

We do different places every month😉