Tips for working out at lunch

hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
Recently I got a membership to a gym close to my work so that I can work out at lunch. This is really the best option for me, time-wise. I've done it a few times so far and find it to be really awkward with getting sweaty and then coming back to work. Plus I'm on a time-crunch because I don't want to be gone too long. I don't really mind my hair/makeup getting messed up, but I don't like having to get back into my office clothes while I'm still hot and somewhat sweaty. I do have access to a shower but it cuts into my time quite a bit. Tips/suggestions?

Replies

• karenscfld
    karenscfld Posts: 38 Member
    Can you take a longer lunch break if you come in 1/2 hour early or 1/2 hour later? It seems that your problem is time....you need a bit more.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    I workout on my lunch break. Let me add however that I live very close to my work so I go home for lunch.

I run with my dogs on my lunch break mostly, so I eat something light while my dogs are eating and then I change, go run, come home, cool off a bit, change again and head back to work. Some days I will only workout on my lunch break and then just eat my lunch at my desk when I get back to work.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I workout on my lunch break. Let me add however that I live very close to my work so I go home for lunch.

I run with my dogs on my lunch break mostly, so I eat something light while my dogs are eating and then I change, go run, come home, cool off a bit, change again and head back to work. Some days I will only workout on my lunch break and then just eat my lunch at my desk when I get back to work.

How long does that take you? I work close to home as well (5-7 minute drive probably)
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Ok so what about body wipes?
    So instead of the time to shower, before you put your work clothes back on, you use the full body wipes.

I had to do that once in a pinch when I didn’t have access to a shower. I worked out and had to get changed right afterward.

Not ideal, but could help cool you off and feel better about putting work clothes back on 🤷‍♀️
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Dry shampoo and towel, run the towel under cold water and wipe down to cool off, dry, re-dress. I go running every day at lunch and it works. Adding a matte primer will also make your face less shiny.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Yes the dry shampoo is a great tip if your hair gets extra sweaty!
    Also, more deodorant after wipe down :)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Option 1. Use that time preferentially for weight training, maybe. (minimal sweating compared to cardio)
    Option 2. Have a loose garment like a sun dress to throw on right after workout (think 'socially -acceptable towel') for a few minutes (such as during the drive back to work) while the sweat dries, and then change into work clothes at the office.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    (option 2 is my go to if I'm heading out dancing after running /riding).
  • DaneDog28
    DaneDog28 Posts: 11 Member
    I work out on my lunch hour too, and I just quick shower off (dont do my hair) and throw my clothes on and run back to my desk to eat. Yeah, hair is sometimes wet and makeup slides off a bit but just throw and go and then once Im back at my desk, will put my jewelry back on, fix hair, etc., Dry shampoo is great too!
    if its warm where you are, you can drive back w the windows down to dry off, or if you have access to a blowdryer (time consuming however), just run it over your hair to dry it a bit.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I agreed with my boss that I could take my weekly 5 x 1h lunchbreaks as 3 x long and 2 x short breaks so that I could get a full hour of training done 3 times a week without having to rush like a madman to change and wash.

Eating at my desk also made my lunchbreak more productive for exercise.

Lower intensity cardio or weight training I also cool down from much quicker so tended to do the high intensity cardio in my own time which included before the start and after the end of my working day.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I used baby wipes after my lunch time workouts, back in the day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I used baby wipes after my lunch time workouts, back in the day.

This is what I did when I worked out at lunch.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Recently I got a membership to a gym close to my work so that I can work out at lunch. This is really the best option for me, time-wise. I've done it a few times so far and find it to be really awkward with getting sweaty and then coming back to work. Plus I'm on a time-crunch because I don't want to be gone too long. I don't really mind my hair/makeup getting messed up, but I don't like having to get back into my office clothes while I'm still hot and somewhat sweaty. I do have access to a shower but it cuts into my time quite a bit. Tips/suggestions?

I used to workout at lunch and was always crunched for time and/or felt like I needed to modify things to at least get something in, even if it wasn't my ideal workout. Working out after work was difficult because I have an hour commute home and already wasn't getting home until a bit after 6...gym would have made it after 7. I ultimately talked to my boss and he was fine with me working through my hour lunch break and leaving an hour early. It was a win, win...still get my hours in and can get to the gym and do what I want to do and get home at roughly the same time.

Don't know if that's an option for you, but might be worth exploring.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I work out on my lunch break as well. But I have showers where I work. And no hair.

Baby wipes/body wipes are great for freshening up... but you have to get yourself cooled down, first. Fans, AC, cold weather... make the most of them if/when you can. An intermediate set of clothes can help a lot too... something light and airy for the time between the workout and your work clothes.

• weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    I run or walk during warm seasons at lunch. I jump in the shower afterwards and freshen up with dry shampoo. When time is running, I just use the wipes.
    But winter comes and I am no longer able to go outside- I do deskcycle or work out after work. Wish I worked closer to home!
  • effervescent11
    effervescent11 Posts: 39 Member
    I work out every day at lunch. After I'm done, I take off my sweaty clothes and run both my forearms under cold water. Then I wash my face and towel off my body with a cold wet towel. I'm usually presentable afterwards. I don't wear makeup and my hair is usually in a ponytail or hair clip.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »

How long does that take you? I work close to home as well (5-7 minute drive probably)

Today I went home, fed the dogs right when I got home. While they were eating, I made me something to eat (today was Sriracha Caesar Salad), but I didn't eat it. I went and changed, went out with the dogs (34:05, .88 miles), came back, changed into my work clothes and headed back to work. I am presently sitting at my desk eating my lunch.

I live about 3-4 minutes away from work and I have an hour lunch break

Took some working out in the beginning but with some planning I've gotten pretty good. Some days are more challenging than others lol
  • DreamAchiever33
    DreamAchiever33 Posts: 100 Member
    When I used to work out at lunch, as soon as the class was over I would stand in front of the giant fans for 5 minutes (helped a ton to cool down), then jumped into a quick shower (just body, no face or hair), dried off and threw on clothes and headed back. Dry shampoo before you workout works better than after it's all sweaty, IMO. Pat dryed my face, and blended any sweat lines in the makeup. Also - you will probably get used to it. I did knowing I would be fine an hour later. I learned to schedule meetings for an hour after being back, otherwise my face was as red as a tomato! Those are my tips - good luck - I really enjoyed the lunchtime workout!
  • midgetgrl72280
    midgetgrl72280 Posts: 27 Member
    I workout @ lunch and I take an hour. 10 min drive there, 5 min change, 30 min workout (supersets & interval cardio), 5-10 min shower, 10 min drive back. I literally shower neck down sometimes rinsing my face so it only takes about 2 minutes. then I get dressed and i'm out of there. I strip down to bra, shorts and flip flops and take my towel w/ clean underwear into shower. I don't retouch my makeup but I try to smooth my hair out a little bit. So far it's working for me for now (just started in November)