Starting again after the holidays - back to tracking everything.

Options
I dropped the ball over Christmas and New Year's and ate everything I wanted and the weight crept back on. I'm starting again - mostly interested in tracking carbs and calories since carbs factor a lot into how I feel and with bloating issues. I have also made a commitment to three vegan meals a week because I want to eat more vegetables daily.

Anyone else starting over (again)?

Current weight 179
Goal 140
Age 60

Today I walked for an hour on my treadmill and did 15 mins of weights, some squats and lunges. I hope to get up to an hour 15 of walking and 30 mins of strength training.

I stayed on track with healthy food and drink choices

Sometimes it seems impossible to succeed, but my mindset now is to just stick with it long term and see what happens. I learned over the holidays that if I throw in the towel for special events, it just snowballs into something far longer and counter-productive. So my plan is to commit to 6 months and get some real results.

I will post at least weekly and I hope others with similar situations will too.

Let's do it in 2020!

Replies

• Tattoomama4440
    Tattoomama4440 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I’m in the first week and started exercising on my elliptical yesterday. It was hard to get back on it again but I did it. You just need to work hard. I will send you friend request and help motivate each other.
  • paulasuscas01
    paulasuscas01 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am definitely starting over again. I did lose 15 pounds in about a month but not the healthy way. I was really stressed out and would go a couple days without eating anything since I wasn't hungry. The plan is to lose more weight but by tracking my food and working out. Add me if you want, we can do this!

Starting Weight: 170
    Goal Weight: 120
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,579 Member
    Options
    You got this! One suggestion is to make shorter term goals as well. When losing I grouped pounds into 5lb increments, it was less intimidating. It helps looking at things daily, weekly, and monthly. I just started a bullet journal for workouts in week increments and checked all the boxes for the last week, not sure on rewards yet for reaching goals. What's nice doing it in weeks as I can add in new goals as they come up or tweak old ones.

There are so many good plant-based or vegan recipes! I love beans and legumes so I make a batch of beans at the beginning of the week for salads then lately a soup, chili, and recently made 15 bean gumbo. I've totally rediscovered vegetables, they're the main thing I eat and base meals around them. I decided to explore veg I'd never had or made myself then come up with recipes. I'm through everything in the grocery stores around here and need to go to ethnic markets now! My first mystery vegetable was a rutabaga! I also started getting a produce box delivered from Imperfect Produce, similar to Misfits I believe. A splurge that would've been cookies or something is now a fall apple, winter squash, or more expensive vegetable. I think it helps making food fun and think of what you CAN have.
  • Chris_J99
    Chris_J99 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Wow! A bikini challenge! That is brave and exciting 😁💪🏼
    I am sure you will do it.
    Keep logging those meals.
    Maths will be your friend!
    Best of luck
    😁💪🏼
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I actually was glad to see the New Year begin.. i was so tired of the holidays..and really frustrated at how my healthy eating and fitness priorties just slipped away. I didn't regain all my weight..but I've gained over my limit for maintenance. I figure it will take me until March or April to get back to square one.

I've always loved the Christmas holiday season...but the stress and all the food and obligations took the shine off for me this year.
  • DonnaL1959
    DonnaL1959 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts!

Today I am staying on track for food intake.
    Today I am going to walk for an hour or start the Figure 8 DVD exercise plan that I bought in the New Year.

It will be a good day.
  • DonnaL1959
    Options
    Yesterday I stuck to food intake almost perfectly.
    Instead of a walk, I did 30 mins Qi Gong due to my schedule.

Down 1 pound so far since Monday!
  • Chris_J99
    Chris_J99 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Well done 😁. Keep it up 👍
    😁💪🏼😁
  • Samand303
    Samand303 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've tried to lose weight with just 'common sense' and with reading a random message from myfitnesspal. Now I'm tracking my food and exercise with the app. But I'm most excited about finding this online support to turn to when I'm struggling! I look forward to getting (and giving) support to all of us on this journey!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    DonnaL1959 wrote: »
    Sometimes it seems impossible I'm possible to succeed, but my mindset now is to just stick with it long term and see what happens.

Let's do it in 2020!

Fixed it for you :)
  • DonnaL1959
    Options
    Did a great workout today. I find regular exercise easier to stick with than food restrictions. But today was a good day all around. How is everyone doing?
  • polvo71
    polvo71 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Right there with you. 48 and need to lose 56 pounds to be at a “healthy” BMI. It seems impossible but I’ve got to (re)start somewhere. Small goals 💪🏻. Good luck to you, to us all.
  • DonnaL1959
    Options
    I bought Figure 8 and am going to try it today - I will let you know how it goes. I need fun exercise to keep me motivated. Struggled a bit with food yesterday - couldn't shake the hunger beast. What do you all do on those 'still hungry' days?
  • shetland
    shetland Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm starting again after a Loooooooong hiatus. I lost 80 pounds about 5 years ago and felt SO good. It slowly started creeping back on about three years ago. When my dad passed in November or 2017, I made vow to myself that I would get healthy again and lost 20 pounds, but then sort of lost my mojo and here we are...I have about 50 pounds to lose.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    I lost 135 lbs 5 yrs ago and have kept it off but recently have gained 10lbs. Whoa I need to jump back on the weight loss train. I need the support of this group, thank you
  • jguldi11
    jguldi11 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I was feeling a bit down this morning about gaining 7lbs over the holidays since losing 40 over the last 1.5 years. So I started looking through the boards for inspiration and found this thread 😊 I felt suddenly motivated to exercise, but couldn't make it to the gym due to severe winter weather. Thankfully I have Wii Zumba and was able to do 40 minutes, and also made turkey chili for dinner. Feeling really good right now, thanks group!

SW (April 2018) 269lbs
    CW 236lbs
    GW ~175lbs
    5'5", 30 years old, PCOS, TTC
  • jimmymacnow
    jimmymacnow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like the positive messages here. Not sure if anyone experiences this but I start the day With a good healthy breakfast and then it goes wrong lunch and dinner and much snacking. I’m wondering if I should preprepare lunch and snacks so I can easily see what I’m ‘allowed’ to eat?
  • jguldi11
    jguldi11 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    DonnaL1959 wrote: »
    Struggled a bit with food yesterday - couldn't shake the hunger beast. What do you all do on those 'still hungry' days?

I'm still trying to figure it out myself, but I find if I go for healthy snacks with high protein and fat (boiled egg, string cheese, handful of nuts) I'm less likely to continue feeling hungry. Drinking water or hot tea seems to help sometimes too. The hard thing is when I'm hungry and craving sweets.
  • DonnaL1959
    Options
    I was doing great and then the weekend derailed my progress AND on Monday I was really tired and unmotivated. Got back on track today though. I am trying to plan my meals in advance too - to try to stay ahead of things. I have to tell you all that although I ate lots of yummy stuff at a family party on Sunday - I felt crappy on Monday - and it WASN'T WORTH IT! So the next time you are tempted by a plate of something high calorie - think ahead to how lousy your body will feel the next day. I learned my lesson and will think twice next time.

Back to exercise & tracking today! I love reading all of your posts. Let's keep doing it! Still haven't done the Figure 8 DVD - but my plan is to do it tomorrow - my week isn't typical this week and I can't find the time to start something brand new- but I will still get some exercise in.