When is the progress visible?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm on track with my diet plan for 35 days now. Meanwhile I've lost 4 kg (9lbs) and I'm happy with the numbers, but I don't really see any visible difference in the mirror. I keep thinking it's probably too early, but just wanted to check with you guys. When did you really notice the progress?

P.s. My starting weight was 74.5 kg (164lbs)

Replies

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    take progress photos weekly. I started at 280 lbs and didn't really notice much (to my eyes) till I was 50 lbs down. Other people noticed when I was 30 lbs down
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I think our brain gets stuck on what we looked like. I do body measurements (hip, waist, arms, legs, ect). Sometimes I lose inches but the scale doesn’t budge from gaining muscle and losing fat. I am 5’2” and 145lbs. I have already heard a few people have noticed after losing just 5lbs. 10lbs makes a big difference on someone short like me. 15lbs and everyone seems to know... that is a couple dress sizes for me!
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Btw, congrats on the weight loss, 9 lbs in a month is fantastic!!
  • Ruiz_Jerson
    Ruiz_Jerson Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss! I had lost 50 lbs...and gained it back 🙃, the loss wasn't visible until I gained it all back.
  • RosaCruz91
    RosaCruz91 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss! I had lost 50 lbs...and gained it back 🙃, the loss wasn't visible until I gained it all back.

Agreed! It wasn't till I gained my weight back that I noticed how small I was. I definitely agree taking pictures will keep you motivated.
  • helen_goldthorpe
    helen_goldthorpe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I like the toilet roll analogy - at first you need to take a lot of sheets (weight) off to see the difference. As the roll gets smaller (you get thinner) the difference when you remove sheets is noticeable more quickly.

Personally, I lost about 14lb before Christmas and definitely felt thinner. I then put 2-3 back on over Christmas and felt like I was back where I started. Even though i’ve now lost them again I don’t feel as thin as I did before Christmas.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I took monthly progress photos in the same outfit, same pose. I found it was easy to see the difference in clothing fit that way, even tiny differences in the way the fabric laid over my body.
  • teardrop40
    teardrop40 Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    kdbulger wrote: »
    I took monthly progress photos in the same outfit, same pose. I found it was easy to see the difference in clothing fit that way, even tiny differences in the way the fabric laid over my body.

That's a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing! I will definitely try it out.

Thanks a bunch everyone for your comments. I really appreciate it. 😊
  • s_rivera_92
    s_rivera_92 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! I lost 9.8lbs in 5 weeks and I definitely don't notice it while looking in the mirror (5'4 female, 191.8 to 182.0lb). But, yesterday, I fit into a pair of pants that were fairly tight prior to the weight loss. They fit perfectly and were super comfy. They're a size 10 and I was wearing a size 12 or 14 (depending on brand) two months ago. Definitely would recommend finding a pair of pants that barely fit a month ago and see if they are fitting better. :) Also, like others above had said, take weekly progress pics in the same outfit. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll see it in time. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    physical changes attributable to weight loss are slow and subtle...you look at yourself in the mirror everyday, so changes are hard to notice. Pictures are the best really.

Also, we tend to look more at our "problem" areas than anything...and unfortunately, those "problem" areas are often primary fat stores and a first on, last off kind of thing. I was so focused on my gut that I didn't notice how much my face had slimmed down...my gut didn't really do anything noticeable until the last 10 Lbs or so.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,571 Member
    Options
    I plateaued from 222 to 167 which I lost slowly cutting back then returned to MFP last January. I didn't really see a difference until I was around 140. I'd also been wearing the same clothes so getting new clothes 2-3 sizes down showed by body more than saggy pants. I hit a plateau for a month which in retrospect was good as it gave me a chance to get used to my body/looks. I started getting comments around 10lbs down.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    people lose in different ways.. if you lost 9 pounds but it came off all over your body.. you wouldn't see the difference as much as if it all came off your thighs. There is no way to control that..so celebrate the fact you are on the right track and you are shrinking.. focus on the striking aspect of things. good job.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Did you take a before photo? Pics are really the only way to notice a difference, or the way clothes fit. Our brains are not accurate at remembering or perceiving such differences.
  • teardrop40
    teardrop40 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    An update from me, as I complete day 90 of the weightloss journey. I'm down 16.5 lbs so far and can confirm that for me noticing a real difference happened only after losing 15 lbs. Patience is really the key. 😁
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    teardrop40 wrote: »
    An update from me, as I complete day 90 of the weightloss journey. I'm down 16.5 lbs so far and can confirm that for me noticing a real difference happened only after losing 15 lbs. Patience is really the key. 😁

I bet it really made your day, too. WTG!
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 4lb so far but already find my jeans do up more comfortably. Can't see a difference but can feel it. 30lb to go.