Bananas -- Helpful tip!

Options
So a couple weeks ago I learned of a GREAT tip on how to make your bananas hold their ripeness longer..

When the bananas are at your desired lvl of ripeness, stick them in the referigerator, it keeps the current ripeness lvl for a few days longer then if they were left out!

The peel will still brown in the fridge, but the actual banana will not get mushy!

If tried this now the past couple weeks and it works great! Just had one that I bought on Saturday and was delicious!!

Replies

• bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Hmm never thought to put them in the fridge. Thanks!
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You totally rock!! I will be trying this after my next grocery store trip!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i accidentally left mine in the fridge this morning at work and i was just watching my banana warm up thinking of how creepy cold bananas are.

PB2 makes everything better though!

Great tip though on the ripening thing---very true!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I think it's more fun to take a toothpick and carve words into the peel. Then wait a bit and watch the fun!
  • suekenneypfalzer
    Options
    When I lived on a tropical island I had to keep my bananas in the fridge due to the bugs!
  • ywellc
    Options
    This also works with most stone fruits.
  • martinh78
    Options
    I found out (was told) nthe other day that bananas give off a gas that turns other fruits rotton if they are kept close. Even in teh same room. It makes sense as my fruit bowl never lasts very long.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i accidentally left mine in the fridge this morning at work and i was just watching my banana warm up thinking of how creepy cold bananas are.

Cold bananas ARE creepy!!! Completely gross. I have disliked them for a long long time, but couldn't come up with the right word for them...creepy is on point.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    When my bananas are to the ripe stage and I have too many to eat right then, I chop them up and freeze them. Wrap them in foil and put into a plastic bag. Then they are ready to make smoothies whenever you want them. They keep very well this way.
  • litlpineapple
    litlpineapple Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Oh my! I LOVE frozen bananas. If they're turning brown, I cut them and put them in a container in the freezer. The cold creaminess is almost more appetizing to me than room-temp.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    When my bananas are to the ripe stage and I have too many to eat right then, I chop them up and freeze them. Wrap them in foil and put into a plastic bag. Then they are ready to make smoothies whenever you want them. They keep very well this way.

I do this, too! Love them that way.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    If you separate each individual banana from the bunch when you bring them home, they will turn brown more slowly.
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I actually look forward to the banana's getting soft and mushy so I can make banana bread but I never get the chance because you would think that my two little boys were monkeys. Banana's do not last more than 48 hours in my house if I'm lucky.
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If you separate each individual banana from the bunch when you bring them home, they will turn brown more slowly.

I do this one and put them in the fridge! I eat a banana almost every day so I am glad to know any tips :) HAHA
  • lulupallooza
    lulupallooza Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    lol
  • KQmom
    KQmom Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    avocados too! They can last WEEKS!
  • kiesh82
    kiesh82 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    WHAT?! How did I not hear about this before! I LOVE bananas but only when they are JUST ripe. Will definitely try this!
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Yup I've always done that because of the amount of bananas i consume each week.
  • jnettiedotson
    Options
    I always put them in a gallon size zip lock bag, they have lasted me up to two weeks....
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options

Cold bananas ARE creepy!!! Completely gross. I have disliked them for a long long time, but couldn't come up with the right word for them...creepy is on point.

Agree I don't like cold bananas at all.