"Eat this or that"

Jobygains
Jobygains Posts: 14 Member
Okay this one is a little bit of a rant. I'm a small guy trying to gain weight and I constantly get people telling me to eat specific foods (avocados, nuts, granola, pasta) etc. As if its going to solve all my weight gain issues by having 1 serving of peanut butter. Not that these are bad suggestions because those are highly dense caloric foods, but people need to understand I ALREADY eat all of those. The issue is I don't consume enough calories and I have a small stomach so it's hard for me to eat that much without throwing up. People who are overweight or have never experienced being skinny have ZERO idea what it's actually like. They think it should come easy to everyone because its easy to them, and I can't express enough how much I'd rather be overweight so I could lose the weight instead.
Rant over

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2020
    Jobygains wrote: »
    Okay this one is a little bit of a rant. I'm a small guy trying to gain weight and I constantly get people telling me to eat specific foods (avocados, nuts, granola, pasta) etc. As if its going to solve all my weight gain issues by having 1 serving of peanut butter. Not that these are bad suggestions because those are highly dense caloric foods, but people need to understand I ALREADY eat all of those. The issue is I don't consume enough calories and I have a small stomach so it's hard for me to eat that much without throwing up. People who are overweight or have never experienced being skinny have ZERO idea what it's actually like. They think it should come easy to everyone because its easy to them, and I can't express enough how much I'd rather be overweight so I could lose the weight instead.
    Rant over
    Say what?

That is a pretty specific diagnosis. How did you determine that you indeed have a small stomach and was the cause of vomiting when consuming high dense caloric food?

• Jobygains
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Rant over
    Say what?

That is a pretty specific diagnosis. How did you determine that you indeed have a small stomach and was the cause of vomiting when consuming high dense caloric food?

As in I get full fast, so trying to consume a surplus of calories makes me sick. Not saying eating specific foods makes me vomit.
  • knightmagic
    knightmagic Posts: 100 Member
    I agree with Manga23 go see a doctor. Outside of that the only things I can recommend will be to keep experimenting with food and even the timing. This is a puzzle that you and your doctor can only solve by staying vigilant. You got this!
  • Jobygains
    This was more of a rant about how weight loss is encouraged yet weight gain is looked down upon. I wasn't trying to get advice here
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    This was more of a rant about how weight loss is encouraged yet weight gain is looked down upon. I wasn't trying to get advice here

how is weight gain looked down on here? yes ultimely its a weight loss site, but there are probably a portion of folks who are focusing on muscle/weight gain and/or maintenance

but concur with others - how was your small stomach diagnosed? are we talking because of a history of disordered eating? because you are younger?
  • knightmagic
    knightmagic Posts: 100 Member

Sorry we didn't want to join in on the rant. I say we welcome all forms of weight issues; loss, gain, and maintain. Usually when people rant they are seeking advice. I apologize for misinterpreting your post.
  • Manga23
    Manga23 Posts: 47 Member
    The name of this forum is gaining weight & bodybuilding, I doubt anyone is looking down.

👍😁
  • dallsop417
    dallsop417 Posts: 1,031 Member
    I am a skinny guy too so I understand what you mean about small stomach. It’s just that we don’t eat enough to stretch the stomach to fit more in. Once you’ve eaten your normal amount of food, plus a little extra you fill too full to eat more and have to force feed yourself to meet calorie target which makes you feel sick. This will change as your stomach gets used to eating more and starts to stretch. Not sure how to link one of my posts so I copied and pasted it, sorry...........Suggestions above are all good and best way to gain weight but I too found it hard to eat that many calories during the day, both through not being hungry/too full to eat more, and due to not being practical cooking and time wise. After going around a food store and looking at calories in certain foods I have found some cheats..........full fat whole milk has already been mentioned but will mention it again as it gets overlooked. 1lt is just over 600 calories so easy to drink throughout the day and even 2lt for extra 1200 calories. Plus it adds lots of protein and calcium. You can make your own protein shakes with 300ml milk, some oats, peanut butter, honey, banana, and maybe olive oil to give you around 650 calories. Bread is another good way to add calories with each medium slice being around 100 calories so 2 slices with each 5 meals a day adds extra 1000 calories and that’s easy to do!!!!! One average size banana is around 100 calories so easy between meal snack. When really pushing for calories but feeling lazy, I get a box selection of 36 biscuits that totals 2200 calories!!!! Easy to spread 36 biscuits throughout the day, but not every day. I also sometimes get a 400g pack of cooked cocktail sausages to snack on which is 1100 calories a day. Putting on lots of calories, if no appetite, is easy if you don’t mind doing it in an unhealthy way but try to add some cheat food with proper healthy meals when possible and not just unhealthy for calories but ignore everything else your body needs. See how you get on with adding milk, bananas, peanut butter, and the suggestion other here have made and then look at biscuits and cheat food if still struggling.
  • go52182
    go52182 Posts: 133 Member
    edited January 2020

how is weight gain looked down on here? yes ultimely its a weight loss site, but there are probably a portion of folks who are focusing on muscle/weight gain and/or maintenance
    The name of this forum is gaining weight & bodybuilding, I doubt anyone is looking down.

I think he meant out in the world he thinks gaining weight is looked down upon, not on MFP. Clearly we're for all shapes, sizes, and goals!