Pop?

Options
Has anyone had very quick results when they cut pop/soda whichever you call it completely out of their diet

Replies

• AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I modified my soda habit from coke to diet coke while I shredded 100+ pounds and now maintaining and like diet pop better. I just made it a lifelong commitment. Good Luck!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    If a person routinely drinks a lot of calories through soda and switching to a no calorie substitute puts them in a calorie deficit, they can lose weight. The size of the deficit would determine the results, moreso than the cutting out the soda part.

You can log your daily calories accurately including soda and use a TDEE calculator to figure out if cutting soda would be enough to put you in a deficit or not.
  • shot_gun_shawn
    shot_gun_shawn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I quit pop all together and replaced it with water also tried watching sugar in my food and just eating less not necessarily healthy but way less and I dropped 30 pounds in 3 1/2 months I drank probably 3/4 full sugar oops and 1 sometimes 2 full sugar monsters a day
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about consuming less calories than your body burns. So if cutting out soda puts you in a deficit, then it will help you lose weight. But if you are still in a surplus after cutting out soda, you won't lose weight.

Personally, I almost never drank soda when I was obese, so cutting it out wouldn't make any difference for me. I had to cut my food intake (and increase exercise). But if you are drinking multiple sodas a day, and your food intake is naturally at a deficit, then it could work for you.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Not me. But then I was drinking diet, and not all that much, so I wouldn't expect it to make a difference.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    No. I did this years ago (before I understood how this really works) and still continued to gain weight (slowly over several years). Now I drink what I want when I want it as long as it fits in my calories for the week (and doesn't push out other important things like protein and fat). I dropped 50+ pounds doing this and have been maintaining for 5 years.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I quit pop all together and replaced it with water also tried watching sugar in my food and just eating less not necessarily healthy but way less and I dropped 30 pounds in 3 1/2 months I drank probably 3/4 full sugar oops and 1 sometimes 2 full sugar monsters a day

Keep in mind that it's very common to lose weight quickly in the first few weeks of restricting calories. That is largely water, not fat. You're averaging slightly over 2 lb/week weight loss, which would only be a healthy rate of fat loss if you have roughly 100+ pounds to lose. If you continue losing at that pace and you don't have a lot to lose, then you should eat more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    A good chunk of my initial weight loss came from just cutting soda...I was drinking 3-6 full sugar sodas daily, so it was quite a few calories.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    When starting a weigh loss regimen, or trying to reduce carbs because of an IR or T2Dm diagnosis, the easiest first step is to cut down on, or completely cut out, sugary beverages like soda, fancy coffee drinks, and fruit juice. As long as you don't replace them with something else of similar calories you should see a difference. How much that difference is will depend on how much you actually average during a day. If you drink two 20oz full sugar sodas per day and stop without replacing them, you will already be reducing your calories by an average of 460 per day which should result in almost a pound per week loss.

Just remember, if you drink cola, Dr, Pepper, Mt, Dew, or others with caffeine and stop you might go into caffeine withdrawal so substituting with Diet soda or black coffee and titrating down might be a good course of action.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options
    jestog63 wrote: »
    BTW it's coke not soda or pop. They are all coke just different flavors like Dr Pepper, 7-up, mountain dew, orange and rootbeer LOL

No, they are different things depending on your location.

Where I live they are called soft drinks - and then one specifies if one means a particular one- coke, pepsi, lemon squash etc
    (I use the term soda on MFP because I think it is more world wide recognisable - I dont use it in real life)

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    BTW it's coke not soda or pop. They are all coke just different flavors like Dr Pepper, 7-up, mountain dew, orange and rootbeer LOL

Yep, I've lived in "Coke Country" too!

Also where it is called "pop", "soda", and "soft drinks".

Language is fun. Living in different places is fun, too.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

No, they are different things depending on your location.

Where I live they are called soft drinks - and then one specifies if one means a particular one- coke, pepsi, lemon squash etc
    (I use the term soda on MFP because I think it is more world wide recognisable - I dont use it in real life)

Soft drinks is understood in the US. It's what restaurants often use.

I grew up in and live in pop country, but I went to college in the enemy soda part of the country (kidding) and use both somewhat interchangeably. If I ordered diet coke and someone brought me diet pepsi, let alone Dr Pepper or a Diet Dew, that would not be okay!
  • jestog63
    jestog63 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yeah baby!!! I got "8" disagrees, that's awesome! So for all you that disagreed Have a Coke and a Smile ... any flavor you want.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,431 Member
    Options
    Coke runs in our veins. We don’t even eat at restaurants that serve the other, or if we find ourselves in one by accident, we order water.

My husband’s granddaddy had the opportunity to buy Coke stock for a dime a share during the Depression, but didn’t - a gross misjudgement the family still mourns today.

I coulda had me one of them there pro-fessional cheyufs like Oprah and would never have even had to be on MFP.

I am slowly learning to love the diet stuff. At first I couldn’t bear the taste of it, but it grows on you in small doses.