GOUT! How to defeat this evil?

Options
2»

Replies

• liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Allpurinal daily and cut back on shellfish and alcohol.
  • davepollack
    davepollack Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Allopurinol is key. I had a stint where I had a flare up once a month for 2 years.

Unfortunately most of my Uric Acid level was due to hereditary reasons and not diet.

The key for me was to find a Rheumatologists (Arthritis Doctor) who kept adjusting my levels of Allopurinol based on my Uric Acid level. I had to have monthly blood draws to figure out the pattern. But now I am on 300mg. Started at 600mg

I am happy to say that I haven't had a true flare up in about 6 years. Longest stint since I had my first flare up about 17 years ago.

Good Luck to you!

• doctrk
    doctrk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ive done the diet, done the steroids, baking soda, everything...
    Tried allopurinol...100mg...baby dose...did't work long.
    No on a combo of colchicine - which i had taken before with side effects - angina - felt like i was having a heart attck - this time no side effects. Also taking uloric... lowers your uric acid levels...so far so good. been taking it since july, no flareups ...so far...it reduced my uric acid level from about 10 to about 5.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    my husband was getting gout flare ups for more than a year. It was depressing and dibilitating. His went away when he started eating on my plan. HE also bought all new shoes ..mostly Nike's and he says those helped too.

Just know that Keto or adkins will make your gout WORSE. Of course high fat foods..and beer don't help at all. If you pay attention.. you'll most likely see a pattern that eating a certain thing or way is cuasing flare ups.

In the short term when you have an attack.. cherry juice and celery will get the uric acide out of your system fast and help a lot. You can buy celery extract supplements.. i'd take those if I were you. You can buy them on amazon. Also ibuprofen will save you when you're in extreme pain.

My husband's has gone away for more than a year now.... he now drinks 100 ounces of water a day... eats six times a day. each meall combines .lean portions, vegetables and whole food starches like rice or potatoes. No sugqr, no fats..and almost no dairy.
  • rashadlc
    rashadlc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    my husband was getting gout flare ups for more than a year. It was depressing and dibilitating. His went away when he started eating on my plan. HE also bought all new shoes ..mostly Nike's and he says those helped too.

Just know that Keto or adkins will make your gout WORSE. Of course high fat foods..and beer don't help at all. If you pay attention.. you'll most likely see a pattern that eating a certain thing or way is cuasing flare ups.

In the short term when you have an attack.. cherry juice and celery will get the uric acide out of your system fast and help a lot. You can buy celery extract supplements.. i'd take those if I were you. You can buy them on amazon. Also ibuprofen will save you when you're in extreme pain.

My husband's has gone away for more than a year now.... he now drinks 100 ounces of water a day... eats six times a day. each meall combines .lean portions, vegetables and whole food starches like rice or potatoes. No sugqr, no fats..and almost no dairy.

That's amazing. What kind of eating plan are you doing? You're definitely right about the keto and gout. I felt awesome on keto, but it wasn't worth the gout pain. I'm starting on a plant base diet, but some foods are triggering stomach pain, such as lentils, so I have to adjust.
  • ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Cbd oil in coconut oil, that I applied to the area. I just tried it, first time today I haven't had the knawing pain. Still cant bend toe much and put a shoe on, but I am no longer at the stage of what to do with myself😊