Help with low carb

Options
Hello everyone!!

I've decided to follow a low carb diet for a couple of weeks or so and see how I get on. I've lost almost 3 stone following a low fat diet but I have stalled big time :grumble: and need something to kick start it again...so here goes low carb.

Anyway, I'm after people who are currently doing a low carb diet to share with me how many carbs, fat and protein you aim for each day...in grams or percentages, I don't mind :smile:. After going low fat for so long I'm rather scared to start eating it again lol!!

Cheers in advance :happy:

p.s. I have PCOS and have been using Xenical (hence the 'fear' of fat) with the low fat, low calorie diet and I walk every day for about 3-5 miles and I will soon be adding jogging to this (personal reasons why I haven't done this so far).

Replies

• mags2504
    Options
    bump for later, would love to hear more.
  • militarywife100
    Options
    BUMP
  • mrshickey
    Options
    just started the dukan diet, low fat low carb. would love to hear more as i posted a topic similar to this and didnt have many responses. i hope u have many more than i do
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Since you're on medication, I would suggest going with something along the lines of South Beach Diet. It's a great diet, and it allows you all the benefits of healthy, low carb eating and some wonderfully tasting food.

Atkins is also good, but it's a lot more strict. It's what I am currently on, and I love it. You're welcome to join us over on our low carb thread here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/324624-atkins-support-group

If you don't want to do that big of a drop, you might consider just cutting things out like breads, pastas, starchy veggies and rice. That's a large chunk of carbs gone right there.

Best of luck!
  • luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi! I follow the primal diet, and don't eat grains or sugar - that really helps a lot! I usually average around 60g carbs per day, and 60g protein, with the rest coming from healthy fats. You should aim for about .7-1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass (actual weight minus body fat percentage, if you know).
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    bacon??
  • luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi! I follow the primal diet, and don't eat grains or sugar - that really helps a lot! I usually average around 60g carbs per day, and 60g protein, with the rest coming from healthy fats. You should aim for about .7-1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass (actual weight minus body fat percentage, if you know).

Whoops, also meant to say that I have PCOS that is greatly improved, and weight drops pretty much effortlessly. I feel great!
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Since you're on medication, I would suggest going with something along the lines of South Beach Diet. It's a great diet, and it allows you all the benefits of healthy, low carb eating and some wonderfully tasting food.

Atkins is also good, but it's a lot more strict. It's what I am currently on, and I love it. You're welcome to join us over on our low carb thread here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/324624-atkins-support-group

If you don't want to do that big of a drop, you might consider just cutting things out like breads, pastas, starchy veggies and rice. That's a large chunk of carbs gone right there.

Best of luck!

I've actually stopped taking the Xenical now as it seemed pretty much useless at the moment lol!! I'll have a check out of that group...thanks :smile:
  • wendybrian
    Options
    I actually got gastric bypass the past 3 weeks ago. I eat very little and I'm not hungry at all. I would suggest eating high protein foods and always eat them first without water or soda. cottage cheese, reg cheeses ( not processed) has helped a lot for a snack. Meals should contain fish and poultry. I love turkey meatloaf. Very good!!!! So I eat about a fourth of a cup once every two hours and it's hard finding something that's yummy. I think for snacking I also like salsa w/o sugar and pork rinds for dipping. just suggestion. The post above me said bacon, that is processed and not in the same catagory. :) Happy hunting for good low card high protein food. Wendy
  • wendybrian
    Options
    I actually got gastric bypass the past 3 weeks ago. I eat very little and I'm not hungry at all. I would suggest eating high protein foods and always eat them first without water or soda. cottage cheese, reg cheeses ( not processed) has helped a lot for a snack. Meals should contain fish and poultry. I love turkey meatloaf. Very good!!!! So I eat about a fourth of a cup once every two hours and it's hard finding something that's yummy. I think for snacking I also like salsa w/o sugar and pork rinds for dipping. just suggestion. The post above me said bacon, that is processed and not in the same catagory. :) Happy hunting for good low card high protein food. Wendy

Just want to say I tak in apox. 90 protein per day. I stay on low fat, and no processed sugars. I am malabsrorbed, that is the reason I take a lot more plus 4 vitamins a day. Keep up the good work!!!
  • pattisciapiti
    pattisciapiti Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been low carb since Apriland was able to reach my goal and maintain. I love eating this way and feel better. You can get some great ideas from The New Atkins for a New You. One of the best things I like is eating whatever I want one day a week. It takes away all the guilt and gives you a chance to have goodies. Somehow, when you are strictly low carb all week a day of carb overdose actually helps you lose weight. Best wishes to you on the way to your goal. I started at 186 and currently wiegh around 126. I had my birthday in August and a lot of traveling so I put on a few extra pounds. I am confident I can take it off because I started journalling today and will keep my carbs low... 25 or so until I get back to goal.
  • aab2011
    Options
    I have lost 17lbs in 6 weeks eating lo carb. I love it I feel so good. And like pp said when your ready for some carbs go ahead and eat some. I did this last week and was so scared but I lost more then the week before. I think my body liked the boost from the carbs. I am usually between 25-35 carbs a day.
  • AmeChops
    Options
    I have lost 17lbs in 6 weeks eating lo carb. I love it I feel so good. And like pp said when your ready for some carbs go ahead and eat some. I did this last week and was so scared but I lost more then the week before. I think my body liked the boost from the carbs. I am usually between 25-35 carbs a day.

So...with your 25-35 carbs per day, what do you allow for protein and fat??
  • sandislim
    Options
    I (mostly) follow a primal diet with no grains, sugar, starchy vegetables or dairy. I go for 40p 40c 30f ratios but try to stay healthy fat - I try to stay away from vegetable oils and stick with other types of natural fats.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I follow a paleo/primal/atkins diet. I stick with low carb and no processed food, no grains, no sugar. Ideally my ratios are:

10% carb/25% protein/65% fat

But keep in mind that if you lose weight with low carb and then start eating the way you used to, you'll gain the weight back. I've heard the people with PCOS really benefit from a 'no grain' lifestyle. You may want to read about Primal and Paleo.

www.marksdailyapple.com (Primal)
    www.robbwolf.com (Paleo)

Good luck!
  • AmeChops
    Options
    I follow a paleo/primal/atkins diet. I stick with low carb and no processed food, no grains, no sugar. Ideally my ratios are:

10% carb/25% protein/65% fat

But keep in mind that if you lose weight with low carb and then start eating the way you used to, you'll gain the weight back. I've heard the people with PCOS really benefit from a 'no grain' lifestyle. You may want to read about Primal and Paleo.

www.marksdailyapple.com (Primal)
    www.robbwolf.com (Paleo)

Good luck!

Many tanks Soozie...I shall have a read of those :smile:
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Had PCOS for over 30 years. Cured it and infertility (daughter will be 6yo this month) by low carbing but got the greatest health gains by restoring my EFA balance and eating Primal/Paleo. At first, I was afraid of fat. After several months of eating 80-85% fat, 10-15% protein and 0-10% carbs...having the best energy and shedding the most lbs of all the nutritional protocols I've tried, now, I am fearless! Have built muscle, shed over 100 lbs and lowered my blood pressure by eating well sourced fats/proteins and very few carbs.

Best research I've read recently is by Jack Kruse on Leptin Reset. Google it, you'll be glad you did.