Calculating macros/ calories to lose weight

Options
Hi. I’m new to this ap. My goal is to slim down a bit more then gain muscle mass/ weight.

Currently I have my goal to go from current 193lbs to 190, losing 1 lbs a week.

I put my activity level as active, and I weight train and run approx 5 days a week. I notice on the ap there is a spot to ad exercise. This confuses me...should I be adding these burnt calories to my daily and replenish/ consume them???

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Your activity level means your activity outside of intentional exercise. If you use intentional exercise to pick your activity level, you shouldn't also log your exercise and eat those calories back because you'll basically be double-dipping.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    also with only 3lbs loss - you could be better to do .5lb a week - it will give you some extra cals - you arebasically recomping - so its a slower process
  • brantfordmarkman
    brantfordmarkman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I actually just started using this app a week ago. So I’m down from 195. I think my goal will be 185, but then in turn tone up and focus on muscle gain. So I thought of losing this last bit of weight faster, then doing the muscle gain. Thoughts?

Also, I have changed my macros to 40 carb, 30 fat and protein as I was looking at the best ratio. The app actually defaults to 50 30 20...
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I actually just started using this app a week ago. So I’m down from 195. I think my goal will be 185, but then in turn tone up and focus on muscle gain. So I thought of losing this last bit of weight faster, then doing the muscle gain. Thoughts?

Also, I have changed my macros to 40 carb, 30 fat and protein as I was looking at the best ratio. The app actually defaults to 50 30 20...

Initial rapid weight loss is all or mostly water weight. That is entirely normal, but safe fat loss happens much more slowly. This can be discouraging to folks who see a big initial water weight drop.

If all you have to lose is 5 pounds of fat, then your focus should not be on losing it quickly. A 0.5 lb/week rate of loss is a safe target, and because weight loss is not linear, you should not expect the scale to go down half a pound each week.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    To be honest I’ve felt sluggish and weak and thought it may have been lack or iron or what not, so I was tested and all my levels were pretty good. So I did a bit of a food diary then got this app. I didn’t realize how much I was actually under in calories etc. Since starting this ap I’ve felt so much better and more strong/ awake. And I’ve seen the weight falling off since eating more/ better.

I'm glad you've found something that works for you. Eating more can help some people lose weight in an indirect way. While it's still true that fat loss is 100% caused by a calorie deficit, if one's deficit is so large that they are fatigued, then they may not move as much or exercise as intensively. That means they would burn fewer calories than if they had fueled their activity properly. If you track accurately and consistently stay in a small deficit, you'll lose fat and hopefully will feel good in the process.
  • brantfordmarkman
    Options
    What’s everyone’s opinion on macros? Do you use the automatic macros the ap uses ??? I change them to “core” 60 protein 30 fat and protein?
  • brantfordmarkman
    Options
    I do have premium. I have my macros set to 40% carbs 30 fat 30
    Protein. But the app wants to change it when you change your goals. Is 40 30
    30 good? Or would you stick to what the app says?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I go by grams because % changes based on what your intake is, so 30% at 3500 cals vs 1500 cals will be very different.

The app is an alright starting point, however I personally find the protein lower for someone with muscle building goals
  • brantfordmarkman
    Options
    So I’m currently around 190. I’m 6’1”. My body fat could be a bit slimmer...but I’m close to looking “fit”.

Just a bit around the stomach and sides.

I was way under caloric count before and always sluggish and tired. So I wasn’t losing weight or gaining form.

Since fixing my food intake I notice obvious muscle “gains”.

I attached what I been using for my goals. Care to elaborate? Thanks so much.
  • brantfordmarkman
    Options
    hmd8gjhlrf5f.png