I really didn’t want to go to the gym tonight

Options
I was even pretty grumpy about it. I’m one of the New Years resolutioners I suppose. My goal is to lose 45lbs by the end of summer — this will get me bacj to my college weight.

Anyway, I went. And I ended up having my best cardio workout so far this year (in terms of calories burned)!! I love these unexpected surprises. 65 minutes of mixed cardio -> 766 calories burned.

Sometimes the biggest struggle is just getting to the gym.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    One good thing about working out is it works whether you’re in the mood or not!

Sometimes I trick my brain by saying, “I don’t feel like it today, I’ll just skip it.” Meanwhile, I get dressed, get my stuff together, put it in the car, eat my pre-workout snack, and so on, until suddenly it’s too late and I’m doing it. It always turns out to be fine after I get going.

Good job!
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Pushing yourself to go when you 'don't feel like it' is what will make all the difference long term. Way to go!
  • justanotherguy2020
    justanotherguy2020 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    One good thing about working out is it works whether you’re in the mood or not!

Sometimes I trick my brain by saying, “I don’t feel like it today, I’ll just skip it.” Meanwhile, I get dressed, get my stuff together, put it in the car, eat my pre-workout snack, and so on, until suddenly it’s too late and I’m doing it. It always turns out to be fine after I get going.

Good job!

That’s almost exactly what I did. Before I knew it I was at the gym. And then I said, “I’m gonna just dog it...”. But then I would just push a little harder moment by moment.

One day down, a lifetime to go :)
  • justanotherguy2020
    justanotherguy2020 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Pushing yourself to go when you 'don't feel like it' is what will make all the difference long term. Way to go!

Thank you :)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,584 Member
    Options
    I procrastinate it and rarely look forward to workouts ahead of time, I push myself to change my clothes, fill my water bottle, then put in my ear buds and start one of my super-charged playlists. I usually feel good once I'm warmed up, but getting started is always tough!

I love when there's a surprise good workout, especially on hard days. I lost my last 45lbs last year but it took me longer than 6 months, good luck!
  • adoucet15
    adoucet15 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That’s so true. I’ve also had that experience. Too tired. Grumpy. Just don’t feel like getting up...

But every time I do I feel absolutely great!

And the times you push through help you get back up the next time you don’t feel like it.

Thanks for sharing!
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I usually go to the gym straight from work, so I have my gear with me all day. I have a rule that if I have packed and carried the gear and planned on going, I have to go, put on the workout clothes, and stay for 10 minutes. I have left after the 10 a few times, but usually I end up doing at least 30mins of something productive even if it isn’t my original workout plan.

Great job, OP!
  • nitalieben
    nitalieben Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Wonderful that you still went! I'm always amazed at how much better I feel after I did the thing I didn't want to do XD You'll be very successful if you keep consistent regardless of not feeling it! Well done!
  • jentucker2020
    jentucker2020 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No excuses....been my motto since I set up my home gym. And when I don't want to do it, that's when I need it the most! It burns off my crazy....hahahaha! But seriously, good job for getting there and crushing the workout. :)
  • lizholt326
    lizholt326 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This happens to me so often. And sometimes when I say "I'll just do 15 minutes of cardio" I end up going for an hour. It really just takes 5-10 minutes for me to be in the zone.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Some wise person on mfp wrote once that motivation has no correlation to how your workout will be. I repeat that to myself when I'm not wanting to go. I am always surprised when when motivation is at its worst and I end up with a fantastic workout. And even if it isn't the best, I got it done.