Air fryer

Options
Recently I’ve been making sweet potato fries tossed in avocado oil in the air fryer to satisfy my cravings for chips/fries. Is it actually better though? Is an air fryer fine?

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Than frying them in oil...yes it's better. 👍
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Than baking? No, you're baking then in oil
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    “Better” in what sense? Calories, nutrition, flavor, speed of cooking?

If you’re using less oil than you would have used had you cooked them a different way, then you will consume fewer calories per gram of fries.

If you’re using the same amount of oil either way, then nutritionally and calorie-wise there’s no difference.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Log it, including the oil, and compare it to whatever you are intending to compare it to and then you can decide if it's better.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I find that I do use less oil when I'm using my air fryer. I would invest in an oil sprayer, I have the Misto and I'm very happy with it. I've read that you shouldn't use aerosol oils, like Pam, because it messes up the nonstick coating.

But make sure you are logging everything like mentioned above, especially the oil b/c oil is very calorie dense.

I am extremely happy with my air fryer for a number of reasons, one of which is using less oil b/c that's less money that I have to spend and because I don't have to use as much oil, so I can use those calories elsewhere. But as always, YMMV.