Hourglass figure

Options
How do people feel about the classic "Marilyn Monroe" style hourglass figure? Has it become a thing of the past, being replaced by an androgenous straight up and down figure?

At my best I am an hourglass, as my bust and hips measure the same circumference. My waist is 6 inches smaller than these, and I'm working on making the ratio bigger. I'm pretty sure it's do able because when I was younger/slimmer I had nearly the same proportions as Marilyn!! Which makes me super happy by the way :wink: :laugh:

Does anyone else have a natural hourglass that they're tying to regain?

Any other shapes you'd like to sing the praises of? All shapes are beautiful!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• delightedin
    Options
    How do people feel about the classic "Marilyn Monroe" style hourglass figure? Has it become a thing of the past, being replaced by an androgenous straight up and down figure?

At my best I am an hourglass, as my bust and hips measure the same circumference. My waist is 6 inches smaller than these, and I'm working on making the ratio bigger. I'm pretty sure it's do able because when I was younger/slimmer I had nearly the same proportions as Marilyn!! Which makes me super happy by the way :wink: :laugh:

Does anyone else have a natural hourglass that they're tying to regain?

Any other shapes you'd like to sing the praises of? All shapes are beautiful!! :flowerforyou:
  • tjblack
    tjblack Posts: 122
    Options
    Hourglass figure??? Yea, 20 years ago!!!!:ohwell: Don't think that ill ever have it again, but I think that I can get close.:bigsmile:
  • delightedin
    Options
    You can do it!! :-)
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Hourglass figure. I'm working on it. I think I can get there if I keep trying. I was looking in the mirror this morning and it looks like I'm getting my waist back a little. I'm sure my hourglass will be larger on the bottom though because I have such wide hip bones. My sisters are the same way and we joke about being good breeders. :laugh:
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    Monroe was absolutely beautiful.....and other must tink so too...especially Lohan who just did a replica of Monroe....

I would love to look like that...when I lose my weight I have a straight figure not many curves....athletic.

dd

I didn't put in the request to have the athletic build....damn thing called genetics....
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    I'm going for the Marilyn boobs in March :laugh: but I will never be able to achieve the hips, just don't have any :grumble: . Wish I could have the hourglass figure, I think it's the best look a woman could have.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Always been a fan - since I've always had one. Waist is 14 inches smaller than hips, don't have the chest, so all my sand has fallen down :blushing: I don't like the straight figure, since the women look like boys that way. I'm sure most men would agree as well.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I think M.M was amazingly gorgeous (we share the same birthday!).. that's all we share.
    I have the hips & small waist but the "girls" are a no show.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    There has never been nor ever wll be a straight line on my body :wink: Once I hit puberty, I went into the classic Marilyn Monroe hourglass figure (actually more Dolly Parton but that's another story) and there I stayed ~ even at my heaviest. I grew up in the era of Twiggy and the classic California Girls ~ the ones with the long STRAIGHT blonde hair (and oh the tortures I went through in the vain attempts to make my curlycurly hair straight) and androgynous figures and despaired the fact that I could not look like them. What I'm aiming for now is being healthy and fit and living inside an obviously female body ~ big bosom, curves and all :)
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I'd say I'm an hourglass whose sand has collected at the bottom. No WAY my chest will ever be as big as my hips. But I'm ok with that!
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Unless I get breast implants, I will never have an hourglass figure. I am totally pear shaped but that's okay too. Nothing wrong with a little junk in the trunk. From my experience, most men like curvy women with a little giggle.

I would like to have the body like Beyonce. I was watching the Grammy's a couple weeks ago and she is definitely not skinny and has meat on her. Her thighs even touch which makes me feel good.
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,697 Member
    Options
    I have an hourglass figure, and as a teenager I hated it. My hips are a little larger than they should be but I think they will shrink with exercise. Big hips run in the family, but they really aren't out of line with my bust too much. I was always told I had good birthing hips. Yeah whatever! Why did I end up having a c-section with my first one? I have heard M.M. was a size 14. She doesn't look it in her pictures. I wonder if the sizes were different back then. I have been a 14 for awhile and I've never looked that good. Getting there though!
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I'm there on the hour glass! While one of my sisters and I share the "birthing hips" and my other two sisters and I share the bustiness, I got both! Ugh! At least I'm proportioned, right? :laugh: I'd just like to shrink everything so it's not so big! There's not much I can do about my big booty, hips, and girls. I was looking through some old pictures from when I was 19, about 120 lbs, and I still had that huge booty and hips! It just doesn't seem fair that I can't get rid of em! LOL I will just have to embrace my feminine figure. :)
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If my memory is correct Marilyn was a size 14.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    If my memory is correct Marilyn was a size 14.

Marilyn's size is a myth of sorts. She too had her ups and downs but the clothing industry has changed the clothing sizes many times since Marilyn. Sizes have changed over time because the average height and weight keep changing and consumers, especially those of us in America, wan to think we are smaller than we are so what may have been a large or xl in marilyns day is now a medium. So Marilyn, at her highest was supposed to be a 16, but most of her clothes were made just to fit her so there is not a really good way to measure that. Anyway, in America, today's size 12 was yesterdays size 14 and two yesterday's ago 16. So Marilyn was most likely, by today's standards a size 10 or 12.......at her heaviest! She was 5ft. 5.5 inches tall, weighed on average 118lbs and 140 at her heaviest, bust was 35-37 inc (bra size 36D) waist 22 inc hips 35. Also a british size 16 now is the same as an american size 12 (may be true for canadians too).

Oh, and I prefer hourglass, but a healthy hourglass. I have no choice because I am an hourglass, even heavy and my husband agrees that women need a bit of meat on their bones, maybe just not as much as I have now! lol :laugh:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Ok, so for marilyn even at her heaviest she still rated as a 22.6 on the BMI which is right in the middle of a healthy, normal weight range for someone her height. So I guess we can't really say she was a big girl. But her shape was nice and men loved it back then, a lot of men like it now too. Women need to embrace their curves (sorry zenmama), get our little girls and boys to understand women are made like they are for a reason....making babies.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I'm an hour glass figure, and even after I loose more weight I will still be an hourglass figure. At least I won't have to pay to get the big boobs!:laugh:
  • its time for change
    Options
    I'm an hour glass figure too, but not like Marilyn. I would love to look like her!! My sister and I have the same bone structure. She is very thin even though she weighs in the :happy: 140's. She doesn't have the top though and I do, but she does has hips, so I assume I will be a better hourglass when I lose my weight.
  • shelleyc
    Options
    So Marilyn
  • shelleyc
    Options
    So Marilyn was most likely, by today's standards a size 10 or 12.......at her heaviest! She was 5ft. 5.5 inches tall, weighed on average 118lbs and 140 at her heaviest, bust was 35-37 inc (bra size 36D) waist 22 inc hips 35.

Wow! I have the same proportions as MM, just on a much larger scale . . . that is definitely encouraging - if I could just shrink everywhere proportionately!!!!

I find it sad that even a 10 or 12 is considered large by today's standards ... I wish that as a culture we would value being healthy individuals over trying to make ourselves into carbon copies of someone else's standard of beauty. Is that just a fat person talking????