Waht keeps you motivated?

2»

Replies

• holli1ch
    holli1ch Posts: 673 Member
    caloricus wrote: »
    Short term goals. A stick and a carrot. (something that pushes you forward like a threat or a promise of something bad happening to you vs a reward or incentive to do good)

Same here. In fact I think that is one of the reasons I am struggling this week. Well that and weather. But I need something very concrete to dangle in front of me and with a very definitive time period. So I will try to come up with something that will do the trick. I can't fool myself if it is not a real goal.

Thanks @holli1ch for posting this. I needed this discussion right now.

Because I want to look really good for the upcoming weddings in May ad June I have been looking at dresses. I found one I really like so the picture of it is the lock screen on my phone. This way every time I look at my phone I see the dress and remember my goal!
  • holli1ch
    RosaCruz91 wrote: »
    I have a vacation in May and I'm a bridesmaid in August. I started setting small weight loss goals for myself, I write them on a tiny post-it note and I have it posted on my computer monitor. That way anytime I feel like partaking in the usual office cookies/donuts/pizza social, I can remind myself I have goals.

I have a picture of a dress that I want to wear to a wedding in May as my phone's Lock screen. Every time I look at my phone I am reminded of my goal.
  • holli1ch
    kali31337 wrote: »
    This is maybe super gross, but... about a year and a half ago, I had to have a birth control implant surgically removed from my arm. It had migrated deep into the subcutaneous fat and my OBGYN wasn't able to remove it in office. After he tried, I had a big, gross, mushed around cut into fat in my arm, and had to dress it on my own until it healed up. Seeing my own fat was... disgusting and incredibly vivid. So, when I'm not feeling it, I picture the way my arm looked after the first attempt to remove the implant and get my butt back in action. I have a new implant on the other arm which is probably going to migrate, and I don't want the fat to be thick enough to have to go back in the OR to remove it! :D I want it to come out clean the first time!!

Thanks for reminding me to check the placement of mine!!

I am in a wedding in June where I am wearing a dress that I don't get to actually try on until 2 days before the wedding. We can have it taken in if it's too big but can't do anything about it if it's too small!

I have a picture of a dress that I want to wear to a wedding in May as my phone's lock screen. Every time I look at my phone I am reminded of my goal.
  • holli1ch
    Short term goals. A stick and a carrot. (something that pushes you forward like a threat or a promise of something bad happening to you vs a reward or incentive to do good)

Same here. In fact I think that is one of the reasons I am struggling this week. Well that and weather. But I need something very concrete to dangle in front of me and with a very definitive time period. So I will try to come up with something that will do the trick. I can't fool myself if it is not a real goal.

Thanks @holli1ch for posting this. I needed this discussion right now.

You got this. Short term goal, maybe of a month. Get a picture of whatever it is and keep is with you to remember why you are on this journey.
  • holli1ch
    edited January 2020
    jhg74zsl678l.jpg

• SarahMWong15
    SarahMWong15 Posts: 58 Member
    I have my wedding coming up in a couple of years! I really want to be able to wear a dress I want without shying away because of my tummy fat or anything. I want to be happy looking at my photos and for those photos to always be motivation to stay fit (after I get there)
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Fitting into my clothes. I've reached my goal (actually overshot it) and now I need to be as vigilant as ever so everything in my closet doesn't shrink again.
  • holli1ch
    Fitting into my clothes. I've reached my goal (actually overshot it) and now I need to be as vigilant as ever so everything in my closet doesn't shrink again.

Congratulations on being at goal!
    I can't wait until I can say the same.
  • holli1ch
    When I started I wrote down my list of why this time was going to be different. I have that list in my Iphone, and on my desk at home. And review it ongoing.

Still on my journey but down 80 lbs. But so far I have made it back to being a controlled Type2 diabetic, all my blood lipids are normal. I want to be healthy as I grow older I am 61. I have so much more energy, doing cardio 6 days a week for 45 minutes to an hour. And yoga twice a week. When I started walking 50 feet made me tired.

Fantastic to have the energy to do what you want!
  • holli1ch
    I have my wedding coming up in a couple of years! I really want to be able to wear a dress I want without shying away because of my tummy fat or anything. I want to be happy looking at my photos and for those photos to always be motivation to stay fit (after I get there)

What a great attitude you have. Stay focused and you will get where you want to be!
  • caloricus
    caloricus Posts: 591 Member
    edited January 2020
    Still looking for that carrot but my very immediate goal is to drop two pounds each week for these last two weeks of January. Maybe in that time I will have a carrot goal.
  • holli1ch
    edited January 2020
    Still looking for that carrot but my very immediate goal is to drop two pounds each week for these last two weeks of January. Maybe in that time I will have a carrot goal.

6jbn357n80oy.jpg

Caloricus,
    You can do this!
  • holli1ch
    Wednesday
    Hump day
    1/2 way through the work week day

Exercise day!

Great eating day!

We CAN do this day!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    getting older and realizing that if I don't exercise, get strong.. I'll age even faster.

Vanity used to work great for me when I was younger. A trip, a special event. But, once you pass middle age the stakes get higher.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I'm over 7 years in...I don't really need a ton of motivation. I enjoy eating well and I enjoy the exercise I do which is primarily riding bikes (road or mountain). My initial motivation was some really bad blood work on my 38th birthday checkup. Off the charts triglycerides, very high cholesterol, high blood pressure, pre-diabetic blood glucose levels and a BMI of 36.1 which put me in the obese category. My dad had the same type of issues at that age and never did anything about it...he ended up with diabetes and passed away from a massive heart attack when he was only 61, about a year after I started my weight loss and fitness life.

I knew my dad was in bad health and I didn't want to go down that road. At the time I had a two year old and an infant at home...so my main motivation was being able to be around to be there for my boys and watch them grow and to be around later in life so my wife and I can enjoy retirement together.
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    Hi! What keeps me motivated? The memory of waking up very early one morning last May in an ICU unit with an intubation tube down my throat, about a half dozen IV lines in both arms, a couple of other drainage tubes in other places, 2 stents in my heart, a searing pain from CPR and defibrillation, and my wife explaining how many heart attacks I had that night. Don't need to go through that again, and healthy eating and weight loss is now a much easier concept. 56 years old, 6'4, 250 (now 225 and working on it).