Got a question about logging exercise

Options
So our home is heated by wood heat, and I’ve been doing the firewood work with my husband for the past couple of days. I'm not sure how I should be logging it in the exercise activity, can anyone help?

Replies

• bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Do you have an HRM? If so use those numbers and "add exercise" You can call it Wood Chopping or something like that.
  • spade74
    Options
    Sadly I dont have one :(
  • KA29
    KA29 Posts: 54
    Options
    I would log that maybe as housework? That or check out the below link, which has a calorie calculator and 'Chop Wood' activity. Put in your weight and the time you did that and it will give you the calories:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Hope you find it helpful

9334018.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Griffonics
    Griffonics Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Maybe log it as carpentry?

Even for a general HR reading try counting it like a nurse/doctor would. 30 seconds count x2.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Ooh! I can answer this one! When I spent half the day helping my hubby by throwing/carrying and stacking (3 cord) wood, I wore my Polar FT4 HRM and it said I burned about 300 calories per hour. That was for pretty much non-stop movement on a hot day for a 37 year old, semi fit, 190 pound chick.

Took a cue from KA29 and checked out what MFP would give me for vigorous cleaning and it gave me about the same calorie numbers so I think you could use that. And maybe if you're not feeling like it's "vigorous", use the moderate instead. FYI, that gave me just over 200 calories per hour.
  • spade74
    Options
  • moffee01
    Options
    Its in the data base under chopping wood. I know for sure because thats what we use and Ive been chopping alot lately :-)
  • spade74
    Options
    cool thanks