Coffee - Benefits of quitting?

2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    dougndebbi wrote: »
    I would love to hear experiences from anyone who has stopped drinking coffee/regular caffeine.
    After the addiction symptoms wear off, did you experience any benefits?
    Thanks!

I'd need to know why you were quitting before responding.
  • TRIHARD36
    TRIHARD36 Posts: 51 Member
    None
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    The general suggested limit for caffeine/day is 400mg. Within that range, there are cognitive benefits.

As for the coffee itself, it has lots of polyphenols that are good for you. Same for cacao and tea.

If someone's getting too much caffeine, it'd be a good idea to taper down to the 400mg range. Otherwise, carry on.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Thanks everyone for your responses. :)
    I was intentional about not sharing why I was asking because I wanted to hear peoples’ personal experiences without any bias towards the reason I was asking.

I’m a pretty heavy coffee drinker right now. I have not measured it but would say approximately 600 to 800 mg a day.
    I enjoy coffee, and recognize its health benefits, but would be willing to give it up if I had to.
    For the past four months I’ve experienced extreme sadness the week of my menstruation. The rest of my life I feel great and am a happy person, but for about four days I am extremely down for no obvious reason. I have had a couple people in my life recommend that cutting back on coffee could be helpful.
    I think I’m going to go ahead and cut back to 400 mg or less for a month, and see if that makes any difference.

(In case it matters for any further recommendations- I have drank coffee most of my adult life, am 39, at a healthy BMI (have always been), eat healthy most of the time but enjoy treats when I want to, and walk/run 12 to 15 miles a week.)

400 Mg is roughly 3 8oz coffees, which is what I normally have in the morning when getting ready for work. I switched to decaf during both of my wife's pregnancies because she wasn't having caffeine and it just made things easier. I didn't notice a difference in anything, but I usually only have 3-4 cups in the morning.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Thanks everyone for your responses. :)
    I was intentional about not sharing why I was asking because I wanted to hear peoples’ personal experiences without any bias towards the reason I was asking.

I’m a pretty heavy coffee drinker right now. I have not measured it but would say approximately 600 to 800 mg a day.
    I enjoy coffee, and recognize its health benefits, but would be willing to give it up if I had to.
    For the past four months I’ve experienced extreme sadness the week of my menstruation. The rest of my life I feel great and am a happy person, but for about four days I am extremely down for no obvious reason. I have had a couple people in my life recommend that cutting back on coffee could be helpful.
    I think I’m going to go ahead and cut back to 400 mg or less for a month, and see if that makes any difference.

(In case it matters for any further recommendations- I have drank coffee most of my adult life, am 39, at a healthy BMI (have always been), eat healthy most of the time but enjoy treats when I want to, and walk/run 12 to 15 miles a week.)

1. Probably a good idea to cut back to 400 mg or less anyway
    2. Probably has no relation to your menstrual blues. Does this happen beforehand, or during?
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Advantage - I dont drink plan coffee so cutting out coffee cuts down a host of calories for me.

Disadvantages - headaches, grogginess, sluggishness, lack of focus, irritation, constipation, the urge to go around ounhing people for no reason, decreased endurance in long runs
  • lisa2113940
    lisa2113940 Posts: 21 Member
    I stopped having so much nervous energy and anxiety attacks throughout the day. I stopped getting headaches from withdrawal when I waited too long to have my first cup or failed to drink enough. I basically realized that I'm actually a much more calm, stable person than I thought after drinking way too much coffee daily for years.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited January 2020
    I used to drink a ton of coffee all day long and once I stopped and just stuck with one or two in the morning I found I had more energy and stopped having that afternoon slump
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    @Bluejay61 How many cups of coffee did you typically drink?
  • sulwen314
    sulwen314 Posts: 21 Member
    I had to quit all caffeine when I was 18 because it caused horrible stomach pain. As soon as I quit, the pain went away. It's a little weird to be completely caffeine free when 99% of people seem to be drinking it all the time, but honestly after all these years I don't miss it. I drink herbal tea when I want something hot and just water the rest of the time.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    I'm about 6 years without caffeine. I had issues related to addiction, tiredness, inner ear related plus a few other occasional things. Going without caffeine is extremely difficult initially, I would crave years afterwards. Is it worth it? Only you can find out, try going without and see what happens. I hope to never go back.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    I'm pretty sure me quitting coffee would have a more negative affect on others than it would have a positive effect on my health. But more power to you! My Mom quit cold turkey 15+ years ago (acid reflux issues) and hasn't had a drop since.