Any Latinos trying to lose weight?

I’ve been on this website on/off. Lost 30 lbs the first time I used it and was able to keep it off. but after having a baby and taking meds, I gained them back plus more. I’m open to friends of all colors and race lol but being Hispanic it’s hard to incorporate healthy foods with most of our traditional dishes so it would be nice to see how others were able to substitute/tweak traditional recipes. Happy Losing! Add me 😊

Replies

• alejiss88
    alejiss88 Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2020
    Hey! Trying to lose some weight after my first baby and a whole life eating and loving sugar ... :(
  • alejiss88
    alejiss88 Posts: 3 Member
    Por cierto soy Colombiana :)
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Hey there...

Mexican American, born in California!

I lost about 180lbs and have kept it off for about 4-5 years now...

Biggest tips I can give, get yourself an oil spray bottle and anytime you use oil to cook, spray the pan just 2 or 3 times, this can really cut your calories from oil...

Also I lived off of tacos lol, mostly beans... 2 tortillas with a slice of pepper jack and about 50 calories worth of black beans in each, just mash them... Sirachi is also a good alternative for salsa... About 500 calories for the pair...

I also love fish tacos as well... But always grilled, never breaded and fried...

If you eat out... Eat half and save half...

The biggest changes I've made overall, less oil to no oil, more vegetables and less meat mixed in, brown rice, eating less...

Hope some of that helps!
  • zeekngreatness
    zeekngreatness Posts: 68 Member
    Dominican and the rice and beans has been my weakness..trying to lose weight but gain it back in muscle
  • No_turning_back
    No_turning_back Posts: 25 Member
    Heyy!! yeah, all the beans, rice, tortillas, pozole and tamales are my comfort foods =(
  • No_turning_back
    No_turning_back Posts: 25 Member
    alejiss88 wrote: »
    Hey! Trying to lose some weight after my first baby and a whole life eating and loving sugar ... :(

I feel you on that. I've cut out junk food for the last week. Its been hard, but eating fruits has helped a lot. Pineapple, strawberries, grapes, cuties etc.
  • Hola , try to lose some weight but finding it hard with great food
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I'm gringo but I live in Panama, so I'm quite used to the Latin diet. I actually find it easier to lose weight on than the American diet. Sure there are some things to watch out for. I tyy to limit things that are friend, and calorie dense things like pataones, platanos, yucca, etc. Rice is fine as long as I moderate it. I try to eat a lot of chicken and seafood, and beans. As well as tropical fruits like pineapple, mangos, avocados, tomatoes etc. I struggle to gret enough green vegetables, since it's not really part of the cuisine.

You can always sub out cauliflower rice for regular rice if you want to reduce calore. A ir just half the amount of rice you use and double the amount of chicken.

I find I struggle when I have too much of the traiditonal American cusine, like fast food, pizza, burgers, etc.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    As a Mexican American I find it hard too! I could eat tacos and tortillas all day.😱😂
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited January 2020
    Hola mi gente!! Trying to lose weight on our latino food is hard!! :smiley: Add me please!!
  • Back_4_more
    Back_4_more Posts: 92 Member
    No but trying to lose weight for our trip back to Mexico
  • JRE_Momof3
    JRE_Momof3 Posts: 47 Member
    Puerto Rican. Lost the weight from my first baby, then got pregnant, started a diet plan and ended up pregnant again 3 months after my second was born. Just had baby #3 about two months ago and am ready to lose all the weight again. Surprisingly hard to get exercise with 3 babies under the age of 4 (almost 3 under 3)
  • jennylee2697
    jennylee2697 Posts: 2 Member
    💁🏻‍♀️Puerto Rican here started my journey yesterday good luck to everyone it’s ain’t easy but it’s not impossible hay que dale duro con Ganas 💪🏻