Swimming - Satan’s exercise?

Options
Lol, disregard Satan’s exercise, it’s supposed to epitomize the attitudes I’ve been met with when I tell others that right now the only exercise I’m able to do is swim or walk. I have a knee and a bank injury sustained on Xmas eve and I still haven’t recovered. The responses have ranged from:

- you’ll be so hungry afterwards you’ll over eat and there goes your calorie deficit.
- you won’t build muscle or change your body composition with swimming unless you’re swimming with the intensity of an Olympian and go for hours and hours
- complete waste of time unless done vigorously

It’s been fun learning how evil swimming is, lol 👍🏻

However, that being said, it’s still going to be my go-to method of exercising until I’m cleared by my doctor do conventional strength training which is my typical go-to when trying to lose weight.

I guess I’m just asking if I really will be wasting my time by swimming/walking.. especially if I’m not capable of doing either at a vigorous pace yet.

Thoughts about swimming for exercise?

I realize ultimately it’s being in a calorie deficit (PERIOD) that determines weight loss but I want to get the most out of what I’m doing.

Replies

• kaitslosingweight
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I’m glad to hear I won’t necessarily be “wasting my time.” I don’t think it’ll be my exercise of choice long term, but it’s what I have at my disposal right now. And given how much I love to swim, I was super disheartened when I was met with a lot of negative feedback about its function as “exercise.”
  • pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Why DOES swimming make you so hungry?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options

Not so much hungry as thirsty. It's dehydrating and people don't realize.
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have had a horrendous back for 8 months and had to stop running. So recently I started swimming. Nothing intense just getting me moving a bit
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of aqua jogging in the pool. A great cardio workout, supports dodgy knees and the bonus is it doesn't make you sweat. :) Just google it.
  • Une_Poire
    Une_Poire Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Had to swim for 8 weeks + when an injury kept me from running a few years back. It was fun, and good upper body workout as well. The only drawback was that it required more planning ahead than putting running stuff on and heading out the door. And occasionally the pool I use was busy so I'd have to wait a few minutes or share a lane, but people were generally very easy to work with on that.
  • SLL1803
    SLL1803 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Swimming is fanatic exercise. Anyone who claim otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about. It makes you hungry because it uses a lot of energy!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    It's great exercise, and even when doing other things it's good to fit it in if you like it because it's low impact and exercises different muscles.

It does make me much hungry immediately after than other exercises, but planning to swim not too long before a meal solves that. I don't find I overeat, just that I want to eat soon after.

I also think it's not uncommon for people to overestimate the cals from swimming by choosing something like swimming vigorously because it feels vigorous to them, even when speed-wise it's not. I tend to be conservative on entries I choose for swimming.

I think it's a fabulous choice. I'm actually trying to get myself motivated to start swimming regularly again starting today, but I have a really hard time getting myself to do it when it's cold out, sigh. But I always feel amazing afterwards.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I always think swimming is one of the best exercise there is, I know I'm sore as *kitten* the next day!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Not so much hungry as thirsty. It's dehydrating and people don't realize.

Yes, I always have water on hand to drink for right when I get out, and fruit is nice too.

Unfortunately, I cannot tolerate chlorine, and have not found any saline-cleaned pools here like there were when I lived in FL, so my swimming is limited to July - early Sep. I love swimming!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Another vote for swimming here. Swimming works many muscle groups without most of the stress that other activities deliver.

I was "only swimming" for a year during injury rehab, and continue to really enjoy my swim days as a nice change from the pounding of run/bike work each week. Its a great workout that can also be relaxing at the same time.

As others have mentioned, you can get dehydrated while swimming, so a water bottle and maybe some electrolytes will really help depending on how long your workout is. Good luck!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    The people who flit around and spend most of their time resting don't get much out of it.

I swim hard and don't stop until I have done at least a mile...NOT a swimmer's mile, a full 5,280 feet. It's great for alternating with higher-impact exercises.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great. There are a handful of reasons why it's not especially ideal for me personally, but it's great. I'll also echo everyone in saying that you won't be wasting your time. Really exercising more broadly isn't wasting your time, but swimming is a great workout. If I had time and energy I would probably do it on a regular basis again.