Swimming - Satan’s exercise?

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Why DOES swimming make you so hungry?

Because pool water is typically cooler than your body temp and your body tries to equalize temps 1 so while the actual exercise doesn’t burn a lot of calories, the trying to stay warm does
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Because pool water is typically cooler than your body temp and your body tries to equalize temps 1 so while the actual exercise doesn’t burn a lot of calories, the trying to stay warm does

Swimming hard burns about 800kcals/hr, similar to cycling and running for me. After a good swim sesh, you feel hot when you get out of the water! You also sweat, as noted by others.

I think the thing about the cold water making you hungry is a fable. It might be true if you just float around in cool water, but it doesn't apply to a good hard swim sesh. Also, community pools are often kept at 82degF, hardly very cool. (Varsity pools are more like 76defF, which is definitely cool when you get in!)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Why DOES swimming make you so hungry?

Swimming releases grehlin, the hunger hormone. I haven’t read the reason for this.
  • SarahMWong15
    SarahMWong15 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I enjoy swimming, but I'm really not good at it. I don't have a good form or technique most of the time so I find myself going from normal strokes to doggy paddling and kicking my feet under water. I would love to incorporate swimming in to my work outs, but I as well, am afraid it won't be doing much for me since I'm not great at it. Whereas I may get more out of the elliptical for 20 minutes or jogging for 30.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I enjoy swimming, but I'm really not good at it. I don't have a good form or technique most of the time so I find myself going from normal strokes to doggy paddling and kicking my feet under water. I would love to incorporate swimming in to my work outs, but I as well, am afraid it won't be doing much for me since I'm not great at it. Whereas I may get more out of the elliptical for 20 minutes or jogging for 30.

Swimming is just pushing water around--resistance. You can put on a floatation belt and jog in the water and you'll burn calories. Form comes with practice. However, it's important that you do exercise that you like so you'll continue. I have friends at the pool that have had surgery and can't swim for a month or two. I talked them into coming to the gym above the pool to exercise while recuperating--they both hated it. They were up there watching the swimmers and couldn't wait to get back in the water. I like both and can see benefits from both, but everyone is different and that's OK.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options

Swimming hard burns about 800kcals/hr, similar to cycling and running for me. After a good swim sesh, you feel hot when you get out of the water! You also sweat, as noted by others.

I think the thing about the cold water making you hungry is a fable. It might be true if you just float around in cool water, but it doesn't apply to a good hard swim sesh. Also, community pools are often kept at 82degF, hardly very cool. (Varsity pools are more like 76defF, which is definitely cool when you get in!)

I personally like a cooler pool. It's easier to do a good workout. When the pool is too warm I feel sluggish. And yes, you sweat in the pool. I've had hot flashes in the pool and it's the only place I can exercise while having one and not go crazy.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    a few years back, the Y i was a member of had water classes. water zumba was a lot of fun. i didnt like the instructors choice of music, but it was still fun lol

if the gym im at now had a pool, id definitely do it. i think one of the 'sister ones' DOES but its 45 minutes away and im not driving that far lol
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

As long as you are using your muscles to propel your body through water you are getting exercise, resistance exercise to boot. Better form increases efficiency and speed, but doesn't affect calorie burn as much as people think. Play around with the different strokes. Maybe you will be happier with something other than the forward crawl or even a mix of several strokes. There is even one named the "Combat Swimmer" stroke that is a mix of the side stroke, forward crawl, and breast stroke. It is very efficient and a person can go long distances without tiring nearly as much as the crawl by itself, which is why it is taught to elite forces like the Navy Seals. Several at my pool use it and all the swimming instructors can teach it.

Does your pool offer swimming lessons? You could sign up for one or more and have your swimming evaluated. You can learn new strokes or earn how to do the ones you do better. At my pool, you sign up for however many you need and pay per lesson. I signed up for one lesson so I could learn how to do flip turns. A friend signed up for 2 so she could learn the Combat stroke and have it evaluated and her form tweaked in the second lesson.

Don't let your current form keep you from swimming if that is what you really love to do. If you prefer the elliptical or jogging, by all means keep at it. You should enjoy what you are doing.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Even my 90 minute (1.5 mile) breast stroke burns about 600 calories per hour. I do get thirsty so I drink about 24 oz while swimming and a refill of the same bottle afterwards but I don't get hungry until about 2 hours after getting out of the pool. Our lap pool is typically 80°-82°.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    The pool is my "go-to" in the summer months! I have those foam weights and do upper body resistance wit them, swim laps, and play games with my husband, kids and grand kids. One of the saddest days of the year (next to taking down the Christmas tree) is the day we close the pool for the winter. :wink:

I don't find it a waste of time, at all. <3
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    The pool is my "go-to" in the summer months! I have those foam weights and do upper body resistance wit them, swim laps, and play games with my husband, kids and grand kids. One of the saddest days of the year (next to taking down the Christmas tree) is the day we close the pool for the winter. :wink:

I don't find it a waste of time, at all. <3

That's what he said.

1000x-1.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

I don't think not being "good" at swimming would burn less calories. If anything, good swimmers would be more efficient.

I don't have good snow shoes and snowshoeing is difficult for me, but I can tell it burns the heck out of calories :smiley:

However, you might enjoy swimming more if you took some classes.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    There really is no such exercise that "wastes your time" any activity is better than no activity. Walking and swimming are fantastic and can really help you ensure a caloric deficit - not to mention the myriad of benefits by exercising.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I love swimming. Fitness benefits are a bonus; it does wonders for my mental health which is the main reason I try to swim regularly.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    We all weigh the same in water, after all!

No, that isn't right at all. We don't all "weigh the same" in water.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Interesting because 3000yds in the pool for me in an hour burns about 400cal; running or biking for an hour puts me in the 7/800 range (so approximately double)

But that is my experience in 2 decades of swimming - I feel hungrier when the pool is at cooler temps (mine is between 76 and 81 between base and community pool)
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I spin, that is my main cardio event. I swam competitively as a kid and have done a couple triathlons but nothing serious. I recently signed up for a Triathelete swim clinic which got me back into the pool and I just love it. It is so relaxing and my body seems to appreciate the switch up from my regular spinning and weight training. Good stuff.