"eating" the calories burned with exercise...

Options
Do you "eat" the calories you burn with exercise? if so, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of exercise?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It would only defeat the purpose if you already account for them in your deficit using the TDEE method, which gives you a higher calorie goal than MFP (like calculating the calories assuming you exercise 5 times a week, for example).

With the MFP method, the calories are calculated assuming you don't do any kind of exercise, and if you do any, you get to eat back those calories to get the right amount of fuel.

Take a look at this video for a mode detailed explanation:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation
  • MyrnaSolganick
    MyrnaSolganick Posts: 60 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I am the OP and I would like to clarify. I am 68 and am working on taking off at least 30 lbs. I am a shorty - 5' - so according to my goals, 1200 calories is what I need to be eating. Most days this is not too difficult. I just bought a recumbent bike to assist me with my fitness goals - which indeed are NOT just to lose weight but to strengthen my body. MFP, however, says that at this rate I will lose 2 lbs a month. That kinda sucks. 20+ years ago, on WW, I lost that much a week. Sheesh. So, anything to speed up the weight loss is good.
  • MyrnaSolganick
    MyrnaSolganick Posts: 60 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Thank you all so much. Yes I know weight training is important. At the moment, I am rehabbing a shoulder so my physical therapist does not want me doing weight training. I see him this week and will revisit that issue. And yes that TV is on all the while I am on my bike...Igfrie, what was your biking schedule? how long and how often?

Still, MFP says I will lose .4 lb a week by eating 1200 calories and doing 20 min of biking 4-5 x's a week. That is awfully s-l-o-w. In my early 40's I would often lose that much per week. Certainly not that little. I understand that I am older and slower, but SHEESH! at this rate, I will still not have the 30 lbs off in a year...only 20. Any thoughts or suggestions?