Acid reflux diet

melissxo4
melissxo4 Posts: 1 Member
Hi !!

So recently I was told my acid reflux is worse and I’ve noticed a lot of it is due to diet. I already try to eat mostly veggies and only chicken or fish so at least it’s not like I’m cutting out a lot. Was wondering what are some good recipes for an acid reflux diet?

Replies

• babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 284 Member
    Ask your Dr for a proton pump inhibitor.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    babyluthi wrote: »
    Ask your Dr for a proton pump inhibitor.

This is fine in the short term, if your reflux is causing significant pain or keeping you from sleeping. But surely better to do as you’re attempting and control your symptoms with diet than just take a drug?

First question I’d ask is...do you know what’s causing the acid reflux? Do you notice and associate it with any specific types of food? Greasy foods, acidic foods, tomato heavy sauces etc?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    My husband has acid reflux but has identified his triggers as being hard to digest proteins such fatty meats and shellfish. He has no problems with other common triggers such as alliums, spicy food, acidic food or vegetable fats, so apparently triggers can vary from individual to individual.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    Brassicas are apparently a common trigger. If you are eating mostly vegetables, see if removing veggies from the cabbage family helps. I believe flowering vegetables such as cauliflower and broccoli, as well as fermented brassicas such as sauerkraut and kimchi are less likely to cause acid reflux. I am not a health professional. These are just bits and pieces I remember when the hubby was trying to pinpoint his triggers by selectively removing one item at a time from his diet.

For him animal fats and shellfish were a no go. So he needs to limit cheese as well as fatty meats and crustaceans.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited August 2019
    I posted this in another thread , but gaining massive weight and poor diet lead to my horrible acid reflux for 20 years. Once I changed my diet from junk/greasy & high fatty foods to healthier choices of lean meats, veggies, fruits and nuts, and also dropped weight, I went from having an episode 5 times a week to ZERO! I also quit alcohol and that most likely contributed to it!
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    edited August 2019
    I followed what my doctor told me and was able to get off the medicine. It's true that everyone has different triggers, so you'll have to find yours. Some of the common ones are garlic, onion, tomato, chocolate, alcohol, higher fat foods, spicy foods, vinegar/mustard based foods/dressings, caffeine, and citrus.

You didn't mention beverages, but the hardest changes I made were eliminating all caffeine, coffee (even decaf), soda (even decaf), anything with citric acid (which is almost everything except plain water, such as Crystal Light, flavored bottled drinks, etc.).

The book called The Acid Watcher Diet by Dr. Jonathan Aviv was very helpful--complete food list with some good recipes. Also, not sure if this is relevant, but I don't have the typical heartburn symptoms. My problem was the sensation of a lump in my throat all the time. So annoying.

Hugs! It was hard to make the changes but worth it--I feel so much better.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    everyone has different triggers so i don't know that one specific diet would work.
    i have to avoid acidic things like lemonade, bbq sauce, tomato sauce. super sweet things-woodchuck cider. bell peppers. vinagarettes
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    Before losing some weight, I experienced acid reflux several times a day. I was on prescription prilosec for several years. I never went anywhere without my tums. As my diet changed from a high fat and high acid diet to a healthier diet, the need for all of the meds went away. I learned some of the foods that would trigger my issues. For me, one of the big problems was mayonnaise. Anything with mayo gives me heartburn right away.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    My husband has acid reflux but has identified his triggers as being hard to digest proteins such fatty meats and shellfish. He has no problems with other common triggers such as alliums, spicy food, acidic food or vegetable fats, so apparently triggers can vary from individual to individual.

This ^

There's a list of triggers out there, but it's still going to be individual. I started with a book called Dropping Acid.

Oatmeal and bananas are supposed to be fine for reflux sufferers but not for me.

Chocolate, citrus, and vinegar are triggers for many people, and that's true for me as well.

I love apples - gala and fuji are my got to (less acidic). The only diet soda I drink is A&W Root Beer.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    xtrain321 wrote: »
    I followed what my doctor told me and was able to get off the medicine. It's true that everyone has different triggers, so you'll have to find yours. Some of the common ones are garlic, onion, tomato, chocolate, alcohol, higher fat foods, spicy foods, vinegar/mustard based foods/dressings, caffeine, and citrus.

You didn't mention beverages, but the hardest changes I made were eliminating all caffeine, coffee (even decaf), soda (even decaf), anything with citric acid (which is almost everything except plain water, such as Crystal Light, flavored bottled drinks, etc.).

The book called The Acid Watcher Diet by Dr. Jonathan Aviv was very helpful--complete food list with some good recipes. Also, not sure if this is relevant, but I don't have the typical heartburn symptoms. My problem was the sensation of a lump in my throat all the time. So annoying.

Hugs! It was hard to make the changes but worth it--I feel so much better.

This is so helpful. My symptom is the same lump sensation and I too have just started the acid watchers diet.

How has it gone for you? I am hoping this will allow me to get off the meds and that I can go back to eating regularly and drinking coffee. Please tell me good news! :)