Do you log cleaning as exercise?

Options
I work a desk job so cleaning up around the house in the afternoons is part of my movement for the day. Do you all log it and how closely? Its not a tremendous amount of earned calories but its an extra snack a day for me :)

Replies

• BeauDeAnne
    Options
    Hi, yes I do log it and it can add up for instance 3 hours of light cleaning (its in "exercises" under cardio-vascular) clocks up several hundred calories- even hour an hour is over 100. I also log ironing and gardening! :flowerforyou:
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I don't, because I look at it like, I was doing this while I was gaining weight so it didn't do anything for me in the way of exercise then so why should I count it now.
  • Suzannejl
    Options
    I have been doing nothing but canning these past couple of weeks, it's only 127 cal/hr but when you are doing it for 2-4 hours it adds up!
  • I log mine too. It is the only movement I get some days (other then taking care of kids, I'm a stay at home mom, and because of that, by the time they go to bed, I do homework an crash myself.) So, this helps me burn up some calories. :)
  • kikimichelle88
    Options
    sure do! scrubbing the tub and bathroom floors burns 266 cals an hr! and believe me, my tub takes and hr after a week of husbands job
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I don't log it, but everybody has their own ways they like to do things. If its working for you I say go for it. :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I only log things that I don't do all the time - like moving furniture, scrubbing floors on my hands and knees or steam cleaning.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    not usually. I try and keep things that I do anyway out of my diary and things that I do extra for and am motivated to do I log. Otherwise there would be so many things we log. I would consider cleaning part of regular activty, light or not.

however, one day I cleaned my house for 5 hours, scrubbed on hands and knees, and I was like.. you know, this isn't normal so I'm logging it. But normally cleaning toilets and washing dishes, no.
  • JoyfulSparkle
    Options
    I don't, because I look at it like, I was doing this while I was gaining weight so it didn't do anything for me in the way of exercise then so why should I count it now.

yeah, I agree with this!
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I only log mine if it's vigorous or prolonged. And the cleaning.....
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I dont' personally because I feel like our bodies adapt to those ranges of motion over time.

Any calories burned are just a bonus!
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I don't log the things I did while gaining weight. No log for; cleaning, sex, doing my job, chewing, typing in forum threads, walking to or from the car, or any number of things that obviously didn't keep me from putting on weight.

However had I done nothing but walk from the bedroom to the computer and suddenly started walking or whatever, I'd say definitely log it.
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I dont log unless its like steaming cleaning or something out of the ordinary... because those are things I do daily anyway.. nothing out of the norm...
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    General, day-to-day upkeep I don't. But when I have a big project, I will. Basically, if I'm feeling worn out or out of breath, I figure that I exercised. But dishes, dusting, laundry, etc, I don't.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    no I don't
  • GypsysBlood
    GypsysBlood Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have logged it as exercise, but only the times when I was dancing, jumping a running around with my kids at the same time. I try not to use the extra calories I earn from exercise anyway so a lot of times I don't even log my exercise.
    But you gotta do what works for you....work a little harder while cleaning, dance around, do some squats in between cleaning areas, burn those extra calories and enjoy your healthy snack! :-)
  • maritza327
    maritza327 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If I am doing a good house cleaning I do log it....last weekend I cleaned for 2 hours, strapped on my HRM and burned 917 cals. It depends on the type cleaning your doing.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I log it when it's heavy duty cleaning (ie spring cleaning, shampooing carpets, moving furniture, washing the dogs, etc...).
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Not me, I feel that unless you're wearing a HRM for these activities, it's likely just going to cause you to overeat if you eat back your exercise calories.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    The only time I would log ANYTHING as exercise is if it raises my heart rate for a significant period of time or if my muscles are going to be sore because of it. Anything less is everyday activity.