Too much exercise? Is there a thing?

Options
How much exercise is too much? I see the show like the Biggest Loser where appear to be wokring out 5 hours a day! Or is that just "tv time"??

I am currently doing Insanity daily and play 4's co-ed beach volleyball two nights a week.

BUT would like to:

- add my weight training back in 3 days a week
- once a week Yoga class
- a 2-4 extra 30-60min cardio work outs weekly (spinning or elliptical)
- swimming laps twice weekly.

Is that ok?

I have to imagine if I am listening to my body and not causing pain it is ok...right? I have a 1100 daily calorie intake limit right now and think that is probably ok?

Replies

• 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Add in a thing at a time and see how your body responds. And make sure you increase your calorie intake with all the exercise.
  • blue4myeyes
    blue4myeyes Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that even a ton of cardio is just fine. Be careful with the weight training as your muscles need time off to repair. Listening to your body is a great idea, always!!

And as a side note...you probably need more than 1100 calories. I was at 1200 and not losing even working out 1-2 times oer day. I upped it to 1350-1450 and dropped pounds quickly. I never really believed the whole "your body hangs onto fat when it thinks you are starving it"...but it is definitely true. I'm no dietician...but ESPECIALLY with all the activity you are doing 1100 seems far too low.
  • JoAnn73
    JoAnn73 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I also workout 6 days a week. Two days of weight trainging. But you have to rest otherwise your gonna feel like crap!
  • kriswigg
    Options
    Actually I have heard of too much excercising. Some people with eating disorders will exercise extreme amounts. I'm not saying you are in that category, just be careful, that's all. I agree with the idea of adding one thing at a time. If you push yourself too hard, you could get hurt and not be able to excercise at all, giving yourself and even bigger weight-loss issue.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Just went through a week of recovery from doing too much, too soon. Kept adding and adding, plus working 12 hr swing-shifts. I'm back at it, but trying to listen to my body more.
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is such a thing of too much exercise! I usually feel so quilty when I have a rest day, but all in all, you really should just listen to your body. if you feel like your doing too much, take a step back, if not, keep going! thats my motto!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of stuff: yoga, weightlifting, running. Something every day, and sometimes two in a day. But I never do hard cardio or heavy lifting two days in a row, and I eat back my exercise calories.
  • cleoleigh
    cleoleigh Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that even a ton of cardio is just fine. Be careful with the weight training as your muscles need time off to repair. Listening to your body is a great idea, always!!

And as a side note...you probably need more than 1100 calories. I was at 1200 and not losing even working out 1-2 times oer day. I upped it to 1350-1450 and dropped pounds quickly. I never really believed the whole "your body hangs onto fat when it thinks you are starving it"...but it is definitely true. I'm no dietician...but ESPECIALLY with all the activity you are doing 1100 seems far too low.

Thanks fort he advice all! I have been considering upping the cals to 1300 especially if I slowly add more things into my routine. I am thinking I will start with the Yoga and swimming. Yoga being a great workout, but basic poses not too intense. Swimming being a GREAT full body workout and non impact. Just one day of each for 2-3 weeks and then bring on the cardio slowly as well. :)
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest adding the yoga in first, but I'm kind of biased :-)
  • blue4myeyes
    blue4myeyes Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Thanks fort he advice all! I have been considering upping the cals to 1300 especially if I slowly add more things into my routine. I am thinking I will start with the Yoga and swimming. Yoga being a great workout, but basic poses not too intense. Swimming being a GREAT full body workout and non impact. Just one day of each for 2-3 weeks and then bring on the cardio slowly as well. :)

That sounds like a great plan! For all of us it is a journey and about finding what will work to get us there. It won't all happen the first week...we just have to stick with it and make adjustments as needed. I started with the elliptical machine everyday....but then got started on Zumba, Pure Barre and Hiking Yoga. Now elliptical is just my fall back when I miss class. Anyway, best of luck to you...sounds like you will be to your goal in no time!