Fruit and sugars...

If I eat one piece of fruit a day - an apple, say - it puts me over my daily grams of sugar. What to do?? we are supposed to eat fruits and vegetables but fruits are high in sugar....BTW, I am on 1200 calories so my plan does not have a lot of wiggle room.

Replies

• fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    During my losing phase I eat 4 oz of protein , 2 cups of vegetables, and 1 cup fruit (for lunch and dinner). I don't think I have ever gone over in my sugar recommendation. My daily total is less than 1200, so my question is what are you eating in a typical day?
  • MyrnaSolganick
    MyrnaSolganick Posts: 60 Member
    edited January 2020
    Please define "added sugar". Is that the sugar in a Tbsp of preserves I put into my greek yogurt? Or is it in a WW muffin I bake? Or the 24 teddy grahams that are my dessert at night? BTW, I am short, older and I sit at my job. I do have a recumbent bike which I use 4-5 times a week. Nony_Mouse, how did you change your diary to show fiber??
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited January 2020
    During my losing phase I eat 4 oz of protein , 2 cups of vegetables, and 1 cup fruit (for lunch and dinner). I don't think I have ever gone over in my sugar recommendation. My daily total is less than 1200, so my question is what are you eating in a typical day?

The limit on 1200 cal is 45 g, and to use myself as an example, picking Sunday, I had 58 g of sugar (none added) from:

a small banana (10 g)
    blueberries (5 g)
    a pear (dessert after dinner) (15 g)
    tomatoes (6 g)
    fennel (4 g)
    cauliflower (3 g)
    peppers (2.5 g)
    broccoli (2 g)
    cabbage (2 g)

Plus less than 2 g each (often less than 1) from a variety of other veg, some nuts, and beans.

While this day included a good amount of fruit (I tend to undereat fruit in the winter so have been making an effort to include more in my diet), I have gone over 45 in just veg before. This is why the total amount of sugar can be a poor measure, as IMO it's usually a good thing to be eating more veg and fruit (I aim for around 10 servings of veg and at least 2 of fruit).
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Calories are what drive weight loss. As long as you are eating less calories than your body burns, and are without health issues to consider, it’s ok. As others suggest, track something else
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member
    Please define "added sugar". Is that the sugar in a Tbsp of preserves I put into my greek yogurt? Or is it in a WW muffin I bake? Or the 24 teddy grahams that are my dessert at night? BTW, I am short, older and I sit at my job. I do have a recumbent bike which I use 4-5 times a week. Nony_Mouse, how did you change your diary to show fiber??

Added sugar is all those things.

But if you're getting enough protein, healthy fats and plenty of varied, colorful veggies/fruits routinely, and hitting your calorie goal, it's not worth worrying about, IMO.

Even WHO, if you read the verbiage, is mainly concerned that added sugars can (1) drive out needed nutrition at sensible calories, (2) cause calorie surplus at adequate nutrition, and/or (3) increase risks for things like dental caries. If those aren't happening, I'd say sugar level is a minor issue.

Best wishes! :)

P.S. I'm older, too, sedentary outside of intentional exercise, and 5'5", which is at most medium height. ;) I lost weight and maintain just fine, in good health, acting as per above.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Dont fear the fruit...
    https://youtu.be/H8xDttIY1f8
  • DyneSalcar
    DyneSalcar Posts: 45 Member
    I really don't pay attention to the "sugar goal" or even the macros very much. I had a can of soda with breakfast but if it's in my calories it's still okay. I've been trying to add healthier stuff into my diet because it's more nutritionally compete and better for you, but if you hit your calorie goal, you'll lose weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Unless you have a specific medical need to track sugar then don't bother, it's just a subset of carbs.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Your daily total shouldn't be less than 1200, and for most it should be higher, unless you are short, older, or sedentary (or a combination of those). How far under that 1200 are you?

As previously stated, the recommendation is based on added sugars. OP doesn't need to worry, and there's no need to analyse what she's eating.

Thank you for your concern, but I am following a weight loss program as prescribed by a doctor. The question about what food is being eaten seems like it was appropriate.
  • unannamoss
    unannamoss Posts: 79 Member
    I am watching my sugar intake for health reasons and just tried adding the tsp of sugar I had in my coffee to my food diary and the one I used from the search was counting it as 100 grams instead of 4.2 grams in the "sugar" category so be sure the food you are adding has the info listed correctly.
  • Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    I'm on 1200 calories per day. I eat 500g of cut fruit per day. I find it healthy, filling and good calorie value. I dont worry about the sugar.