Is there anyone not counting calories?

Options

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I don't calorie count anymore, although I did for weight loss. I found it wasn't necessary to count calories as a long distance runner because my output was so high anyway. Having gotten back into weightlifting lately and also gotten preggo, I'm logging to ensure adequate protein intake for self and interior side kick.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I am low carb. I know if I keep on track with my carbs, fat and protein and I do. As well as logging and weighing because it works for me I am good. Because my macros add up to a certain number of calories. So count calories without specifically counting them one by one. I do via macros and for me I find it easier.

Again I think many different ways to keep track of what we eat, to keep ourselves on track. Be it for continuing to lose weight, or for those who are maintaining weight, etc...

Does not mean any certain one is better than another, just means different people found ones that worked for them.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I count carbs. When I get 25-35 carbohydrate mark, I stop. Seeing that it must be so freeing not be a slave to the calories, I signed up.

If counting calories is being a "slave" to calories, then counting carbohydrates is being a "slave" to carbohydrates. I don't see a meaningful difference here.

Well in the calories case you're a slave to all macros, but counting carbs, you're the master over fats, protein, and alcohol. Maybe that lets a person feel they're a switch and not a pure slave in their food tracking relationships. 🤷

Wait.... So what you are saying is, to be "free", we just shouldn't eat?!?!?! Bro.... just shattered my world! LOL :D
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I count carbs. When I get 25-35 carbohydrate mark, I stop. Seeing that it must be so freeing not be a slave to the calories, I signed up.

If counting calories is being a "slave" to calories, then counting carbohydrates is being a "slave" to carbohydrates. I don't see a meaningful difference here.

I'm a slave to carbs. In fact, I'm carbs' *kitten*. If I were in a jail cell with carbs, I wouldn't even have to be threatened. I would gladly bend over for carbs.

Edited because I really WOULD gladly bend over for carbs. :)

<=== is currently shopping Amazon for a slice of bread costume! Lol j/I
    I have never been a slave to carbs, but might have been chained to a radiator by some once....
  • LagunaPaul
    LagunaPaul Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    oh boy! So much to say about this, but its religion you know. you cannot challenge anyone's beliefs without offending them. However, we all know people who look at food and gain weight. We all know people who can pretty much eat what ever they want to, and never gain a pound. So its not calories. Fat isn't 9 calories per gram. Carbohydrates aren't 4 calories per gram. Different types of carbs/fats/protein have different amounts of calories, so how can you even began to count them anyway? Those are comprise numbers published by the government trying to simplify things for the population. Depending on what type of meat, or vegetables, or whatever, the calories contained in a gram of fat/protein/carbs vary widely, so you're not really counting anything accurately.
  • Mov3mor3
    Mov3mor3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I log it after I eat and it is what it is. I'm in my range all the time.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    After41 wrote: »
    I log it after I eat and it is what it is. I'm in my range all the time.

Interesting.

I tend to log before I eat it.

Often I pre-log the entire day when I get up in the morning so that I have a plan for the day and will make changes/additions/subtractions/substitutions as needed.

The other reason I find pre-logging handy is it helps me avoid problems before they happen. Like, I'll grab something to eat, log it, see what impact it's had on my calories for the day and all of a sudden that particular thing isn't quite as appealing as it was a few seconds earlier or I change what I'm going to eat so that I can better stick to my target. If I log after eating and don't like what I see then it's too late.