Meal question

Options
How late you guys think it’s best to eat our last meal? And what

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If your goal is weight loss, then neither the time nor content of your meals matter as long as you are in a consistent calorie deficit. You should eat what you want, when you want it, within your calorie goal.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    The biggest factor to keep in mind is if eating late prevents you from having a good night sleep. People can also mindlessly eat late at night, making it easier to eat more than they intend which will eat into their deficit or take that deficit away entirely.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have dinner at 6pm at the latest, and don't eat a thing after that. But then I'm usually in bed at 8:30! Totally up to you - whatever fits you and your lifestyle. Has zero impact on weightloss as long as you are eating within your caloric goal. If you like to eat late, eat late - just don't forget to plan for it/log it.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry I eat right before bed. Caloric balance is more important than meal timing. If eating before bed doesn't cause medical concerns (difficulty sleeping or acid reflux) then it doesn't really matter.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Personally, I make it an absolutely inviolably strict habit not to eat after I actually fall asleep, while asleep.

I frequently eat right before bed. It didn't stop me from losing from obese to a healthy weight, or prevent me staying at a healthy weight for 4+ years since.

As long as you're not one of the people who gets indigestion, reflux, poor sleep or some other observable bad outcome from going to bed full, it makes no meaningful difference at all.

Gotta go: Just finished my vegetable quiche and some cottage cheese, and it's time for bed. (Really!) :)

Best wishes!
  • michaelroode
    michaelroode Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    This is the main reason I only eat once a day I wake up at 4am and get home at 7pm and that will be to late for me to make me dinner and eat.

I have to start eating more need to pick up wait to bulk up a bit
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Personally, I make it an absolutely inviolably strict habit not to eat after I actually fall asleep, while asleep.

This. I normally I eat at 9 (for various reasons I can't count on being able to eat earlier, and would still be at work for the super early dinners some recommend). When losing I sometimes ate more like 9:30 or even 10. If I have a giant salad (not that uncommon), it takes less time to cook but a long time to eat.

I lost fine, faster than predicted, even, doing this, and I didn't have to do something depressing like eat dinner only at work.

So timing doesn't matter, what will be sustainable for you is what matters (as well as what helps with sleep, yes).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    As others mentioned, there is no best time to stop unless it helps you with sticking to your goal or digestion. These days I never stop eating, I will usually have snacks several times in the middle of the night.