No progress- getting very frustrated

Hi everyone- I fell off the wagon in November and have gained 10lbs from 135 to 145- I’m a 41 year old female. For the past 3 weeks I’ve been measuring and logging 1200 calories a day, drinking a gallon of water and started boot camp. I haven’t lost a SINGLE pound. My clothes are all still too tight and I’m beyond frustrated / upset. Not sure what else I can do

Replies

• Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    The first thing I would do is check my logging. Here's a list:
    Are you logging everything, every bite, every meal?
    Are you using a food scale? That will give you the most accurate idea of what you're eating, more than cups and spoons.
    Do you eat out in restaurants or eat food prepared by other people? That can throw your calorie count off.
    The MFP database is compiled by users and has many inaccuracies. The USDA entries are better than most. What entries do you use?

Your diary is closed. If you go into settings and make your diary public, people here might spot something and be able to help you.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    sometimes I don't start losing weight until a week or two after I start. If you are exercising too..it could be your body adjusting to that also. There is false water weight gain when exercise is started. I read that it can last for six weeks.
    Tough it out..hang in there.. don't give up.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    If you've started new activity this can cause fluid retention (DOMS).
    What about your sodium intake? If this is high you can retain water which causes the scale to go up.
    How are your measuring your food (scale or cups/spoons)?
    Just curious why you are drinking a gallon of water?
    When you lost weight before what kind of diet were you following compared to what you are doing now?
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Open up your diary and let people look at what you are logging.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    There is always progress, even when you've gained weight.

I am actually in a similar situation as you explain here, with the same exact figures. I can completely understand how seeing the scale creep up makes you feel as if you are doing something wrong, or that you want to quit, or that you even hate yourself (maybe that is just me).

However, I keep in mind that there is always progress, and my worth and value is actually not dictated by how much weight I have gained or lost, although many ways of thinking will try to argue against that. When I start to look at myself more holistically, such as valuing other things, such as how much I am mentally and emotionally present and available during the day, if I meditated or spent quality time with myself, the tidiness of my home, whether I got outside, if I did any creative work, if I ate clean and honored my body, and so much more -- then I can say that I am not failing but even thriving even though the scale is not where I want it to be at this moment.

On a wellness journey, be sure that you take into consideration all of the factors and all of you. I have found that when other things in life line up and make you feel good and successful, the weight comes along for the ride.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Sometimes a new exercise routine can mask our initial weight loss, as our bodies are retaining water to help with muscle repair. If that's the case with you, keep at it and you'll be seeing results.

I know you say you're logging everything, but there are also some common logging errors than can result in you eating more than you think you are. If you think that could possibly be the case, opening your diary will allow us to give you some specific tips that may help. If you don't want to open your diary, you can begin by asking yourself these questions: Are you using a food scale for measuring your foods (not eyeballing or using measuring cups/spoons/trusting package weights)? Are you creating your own recipes for foods and avoiding generic/homemade entries? Are you having any cheat meals/days that you aren't logging? Are you logging all caloric liquids and things that you may have been told in the past don't count (fruits, vegetables, etc)?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    97exaebqvqc9.jpg