How many times can you hit a plateau?

I know during weightloss everyone hits a plateau at some point, but does this happen numerous times throughout the process or just once?

Can't seem to find an answer from Google search.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    What time period do you consider a plateau?

How much weight do you have to lose before you reach your goal weight?
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    There is no limit to plateaus during weight loss. Every journey is different. But breaking through 1 or 2 plateaus should help someone learn tips to help them avoid or break further plateaus.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    Sure. Everyone's weight loss journey is different, but plateauing multiple times is not a sign that anything is wrong. I find I plateaud quite a bit when I was consistently losing. It was normal for me to plateau for a couple of weeks, lose big for a few days, and then plateau again. It all evened itself out, but it was never linear.
  • weight3049
    weight3049 Posts: 72 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

2 weeks of around the same weight with a 500 calorie deficit. My goal is to lose 40 more pounds.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    Not everyone hits a plateau, either. (I never.)

Everyone's ride has different contours.

Understanding and running the right process, plus experience, takes the worry out of it, IMO.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Hitting a plateau doesn't give you immunity from a second (or third or nth) plateau.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    I weigh daily and have been tracking since September - I can see trends in my journey with lulls and then quick drops. I stayed the same weight for a month, but considering it was thanksgiving, Christmas, and a wedding all in those 4 weeks (with hours on the road in travel) I consider it a success to not have gained! Usually I drop a couple of pounds over the course of a couple days then level out for a week or two, drop, level, etc.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Everyone is different and there are many variables. Weight loss is not linear (and this was REALLY a difficult concept for me to adjust to in the beginning)! I know that for me I watch my sodium intake and be consistent with hydration. Expect to have ups and downs. Also, as you get closer to your goal your weight loss may slow down. Take a close look at what you are eating and maybe you need to make a small change. Be consistent.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    If you are talking about an actual plateau which results from eating at maintenance when you thought you were eating at a deficit I have never hit one. If you are talking about a temporary period of time in which fat loss is masked by normal body fluctuations I believe I have experienced that in excess of 10 times.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    weight3049 wrote: »
    I know during weightloss everyone hits a plateau at some point, but does this happen numerous times throughout the process or just once?

Can't seem to find an answer from Google search.

Not everyone. I've never experienced a plateau. When I've been on a mission to lose weight, I lose weight ... I don't remain at the same weight for 6 weeks or more.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    edited January 2020

2 weeks of around the same weight with a 500 calorie deficit. My goal is to lose 40 more pounds.

Isn't a plateau more like 6 weeks of exactly the same weight or slightly higher?

If you're a woman, it's easy to remain roughly the same weight for a couple weeks around menstruation time. But that's not a plateau, that's just normal fluctuations.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2020
    By that definition (no change in two weeks), I plateaued every single month when I was losing weight (even gained a little then re-lost every month) and it went on for years. I didn't consider it a plateau, more like the pattern of my weight loss.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    I've hit a little plateau right now as I am close to my goal weight. Sometimes it lasts a week but usually ends in a 2-3 lb SWOOSH down. I haven't changed anything with my diet or exercise, so I know it's just a matter of body adjusting before next leg down.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I've plateaued 6 weeks or more no loss) multiple times, but its my own fault, wasn't as accurate with logging intake or wasn't being as active...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

Isn't a plateau more like 6 weeks of exactly the same weight or slightly higher?

If you're a woman, it's easy to remain roughly the same weight for a couple weeks around menstruation time. But that's not a plateau, that's just normal fluctuations.

Yes, I would consider the time period required for a stall to be considered a plateau to be at least 4 weeks and 6 weeks would be even better.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    Plateaus are nothing more than a person's caloric intake at maintenance, which is why a true "plateau" lasts >6 weeks.

Bodies hold onto water/glycogen during times of stress - whether this be chemical - from a high sodium/high carb meal, psychological, physiological - from a change in workout regimen or intensity, or a hormonal shift. This typically trends back to normal over 5-7 days, but can cascade for various reasons.

As your body loses mass, your basal metabolic rate drops accordingly and what was once considered a caloric deficit trends toward maintenance.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    There are weeks where the scale may not move down, and may even tick up a bit. Most people experience this if they are eating at a moderate deficit over several months' time. I've never had a period of, say, a month where I have stayed the same weight while in a deficit, but I may be an outlier in this respect. So much goes into scale weight besides fat, it's really helpful to track intake accurately and just stay the (sensible) course.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    Also for me it's never linear. Steady for 3 weeks then --whoosh-- 3 weeks worth of loss in a day or two.

This explains what might be happening with this pretty common pattern: https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/

Really, the math always works in the end, despite several obfuscating factors, so stick with it.