Question about increasing calories

Hello!

So I have done calorie counting before (successfully when I have stuck to it). However, over the last 6 months I have started running which I did not do before. When I calorie counted previously, I never really monitored exercise calories as it was barely active at best. When I started running 6 months ago, I ate whatever I felt like. Only recently did I decide to start monitoring calories with my running. For reference, I have a fitbit. ersan 2 to track heart rate and steps.

I run about 3 miles everday and walk an additional mile on the treadmill. My steps average to 12-13k a day. MFP gives me on average 1000 exercise calories a day.

I have read that trackers can overestimate these calories, so originally I was aiming to eat back about 50% of my exercise calories. I have MFP set to lose .5 lb/week and habe a base allowance of 1550.

Using that I could eat roughly 2000 calories a day. However, I have found myself settling more comfortably around 1800 calories a day. I'm not hungry or noticing any difference in energy at this point.

Based on my Libra app, I am losing 1 lb/week. This makes sense (250 deficit from MFP and roughly 200 deficit from half my exercise calories).

I am 5'5 and 155 lbs currently with 25-30 to lose. My question is: should I more actively try to hit that 2000 calorie mark to lose .5 a week even though I feel fine eating about 1800? As I am approaching my goal, I just do not want to lose to fast or undereat. I am trying to listen to my body, but it has proven a bit faulty in the past (that's how I ended up at 210 lbs at one point) any insight would be appreciated!

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    How much data is in your libra app?

The general recommendation is to drop your rate of loss to .5 pound per week when you fall below 20 pounds left to lose.
  • SlytherinSnakeQueen
    SlytherinSnakeQueen Posts: 148 Member
    @NovusDies I have about 3 weeks of current data from this calorie counting attempt. Tomorrow starts week 4. Overall, I have data on and off since 2015.
  • SlytherinSnakeQueen
    edited January 2020
    I guess where I am struggling is I feel satisfied everyday. With 1800 calories I am still able to enjoy all my favorite foods (in moderation) and I feel full. I have been spreading my calories out over 3 meals, roughly 600 calories per meal.
  • NovusDies
    @NovusDies I have about 3 weeks of current data from this calorie counting attempt. Tomorrow starts week 4. Overall, I have data on and off since 2015.

It is a little too soon to trust that you are only lose 1 pound per week then. If you find it sustainable I would carry on with the 1800 and let libra keep adding to your current trend. You should have a pretty accurate picture of your rate of loss in a couple more weeks.
  • SlytherinSnakeQueen
    @NovusDies Thank you! I guess my question is if Libra does continue to show 1lb over the next few weeks do I need tomake an adjustment even if I find 1800 sustainable?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    @NovusDies Thank you! I guess my question is if Libra does continue to show 1lb over the next few weeks do I need tomake an adjustment even if I find 1800 sustainable?

You'll be fine losing 1 lb a week for a bit longer :) Reassess in another 5-10 lbs. If you still find you're perfectly comfortable on 1800 cals at that point, you could always just incorporate a maintenance day once a week to use up some of the extra, plus lower body weight will also reduce your calorie needs a little.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    To me it sounds like you've got yourself some wiggle room. Something many people would kill for. If you find that you're able to increase your calories to 2000 but you're finding 1800 'satisfying' this means you have 200 calories to enjoy. Maybe add a few treats in that you can enjoy, or enjoy being a little less strict by applying a little less 'moderation' of the foods you enjoy.

There no reason to make things hard, and if you can make them even easier then that's a good thing.
  • NovusDies
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

You'll be fine losing 1 lb a week for a bit longer :) Reassess in another 5-10 lbs. If you still find you're perfectly comfortable on 1800 cals at that point, you could always just incorporate a maintenance day once a week to use up some of the extra, plus lower body weight will also reduce your calorie needs a little.

This.

As long as your rate of loss is truly 1 pound per week I would stay the course as @Nony_Mouse suggests. If in the next couple of weeks you realize you are losing faster than 1 pound per week then you need to adjust your calories higher.

I also think a maintenance day once a week is a good idea.
  • SlytherinSnakeQueen
    Thank you everyone! I will keep monitoring and if needed I will make some adjustments. I appreciate the help and insight!