Plank challenge yes or no ?

Options
I'm in the middle of a monthly plank challenge to help my core for running. But I've heard it is pointless and no good for you. Anyone any advice before I wobble myself sick 😃

Replies

• RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Do it. No runner regrets core work.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, if you can hold a regular plank 2 minutes you need to find some modifications to make it harder.
  • ErinPolselli
    ErinPolselli Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What are the rules to the your plank challenge? This sounds awesome and I think I’m going to create one for my friends on the ‘Map My Run’ app for the month of February... #greatidea #challengeON
  • bozzasean
    bozzasean Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Do it. No runner regrets core work.

Ok I'll carry on 3 minutes tonight after a hill session 😊
  • bozzasean
    Options
    What are the rules to the your plank challenge? This sounds awesome and I think I’m going to create one for my friends on the ‘Map My Run’ app for the month of February... #greatidea #challengeON

The plank just increases and average of 30 seconds every other day till you get to an agonising 5 minutes
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Core work is always good
    I think the issue with these challenges is people do them for the month and then give up. They achieved the challenge...well your core still needs work after that month. So as long as you keep up with it it's good
  • bozzasean
    Options
    I certainly intend to give my core a good workout. And I'll keep something up , just want to keep it interesting

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    Basic planks are an OK core exercise but rather than keep increasing the duration, which has a sharply declining benefit, you would do better to increase the difficulty.
    That's the issue I have with this type of challenge - people are often challenging the wrong things - duration and boredom!

Are you on hands or elbows?

Hands under shoulders or out in front?

Superman planks with shoulder taps perhaps?

One handed with an alternating "reach for the sky" twist as my back rehab physio is getting me to do?

Side planks?
  • bozzasean
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I was thinking of completing the months challenge, basic on elbows. Then upping the difficulty to assist different areas of my core. I'll be happy to research any forms of planking to benefit

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    Personally, I believe that holding a plank longer than 2 min. really doesn't help with more strength.

I prefer the many variations of planks held for various times. I downloaded a plank challenge on my phone and have used that for years. It's still challenging to me and I don't have to make my own routine.
  • jeffrey_ad
    jeffrey_ad Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I'll put it a plug for our monthly plank challenge here on MFP:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10777197/60-minutes-per-month-plank-challenge-january-2020/p1

On the first page there are links to different programs of difficulty. I tend to do sets of 30 second planks in various positions for a five minute total for weekdays.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    bozzasean wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of a monthly plank challenge to help my core for running. But I've heard it is pointless and no good for you. Anyone any advice before I wobble myself sick 😃

Not pointless, but you quickly reach a point of diminishing returns. If you can hold a plank for two minutes you would be better served to make the plank more difficult and/or to add other core work...at that point the net benefit of just holding a basic plank longer quickly diminishes and can just become a waste of time.