Mediterranean

Hi, Per dr. I need to start getting the Mediterranean way of of eating. Is there anyone/groups that do this? Any help would be appreciated..TIA

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    I follow a plant based diet so really the only difference is Mediterranean diet has some chicken and fish. What questions do you have?
  • alex2017new
    alex2017new Posts: 6 Member
    Ok, any idea how many calories I should be eating and also my what settings of % for carbs,protein and fat should be..I’m so lost?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Ok, any idea how many calories I should be eating and also my what settings of % for carbs,protein and fat should be..I’m so lost?

You can get your calorie goal and macro recommendations from MFP by entering your current stats and goals. There is no specific Mediterranean calorie goal or macro split . . . it's about the type of food you're choosing.

If this a diet that your doctor is recommending, did they give you any resources to help you understand it? An option would be to ask for a referral to a registered dietician, they can help you understand how to approach this way of eating.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Regardless of what diet you choose could be Keto, Mediterrean, Flexiterrean, Low Carb, Dash, Vegan, Vegetarian or just calories in and out. Every single one follow something in common. We lose weight by burning up more calories than we take in.

First put in your stats age, how much you weigh, how tall you are. How much you have to lose and so on. So based on starting weight VS goal weight how much one needs/wants to lose. How many lbs per week you are aiming to lose. MFP will come up with a suggested number of calories you should eat per day. There will be defaults for macros, and really at first there are fine to follow.

And for how many lbs to lose per week, that is safe. There are guidelines based on how many lbs you really have to lose. Example those who are obese and or have 75 plus pounds to lose are really the only people who should be saying they want to lose 2 lbs per week. We all are so impatient and want the weight gone so fast.

I think the sticky notes for new people there is literally a chart that shows if you have X amount of lbs to lose here is the amount to input, if your amount to lose is in a different range it shows that as well. I have found this to be very helpful.
  • lisa2113940
    lisa2113940 Posts: 21 Member
    Regardless of what diet you choose could be Keto, Mediterrean, Flexiterrean, Low Carb, Dash, Vegan, Vegetarian or just calories in and out. Every single one follow something in common. We lose weight by burning up more calories than we take in.

First put in your stats age, how much you weigh, how tall you are. How much you have to lose and so on. So based on starting weight VS goal weight how much one needs/wants to lose. How many lbs per week you are aiming to lose. MFP will come up with a suggested number of calories you should eat per day. There will be defaults for macros, and really at first there are fine to follow.

And for how many lbs to lose per week, that is safe. There are guidelines based on how many lbs you really have to lose. Example those who are obese and or have 75 plus pounds to lose are really the only people who should be saying they want to lose 2 lbs per week. We all are so impatient and want the weight gone so fast.

I think the sticky notes for new people there is literally a chart that shows if you have X amount of lbs to lose here is the amount to input, if your amount to lose is in a different range it shows that as well. I have found this to be very helpful.

If his doctor told him to go on the Mediterranean diet, it likely was due to the health benefits of that diet. It is not really a weight loss diet as much as one that research has shown promotes longevity. I would not assume that weight loss is the only important aspect to changing one's diet.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    That's what my link should have shown too. ;-)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    If you are getting into adding more veg and fruit (which is an important part of the Med way of eating), you might enjoy this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10726786/for-the-love-of-produce/p68