Joint pain after working out

Options
I’m just getting back into working out at the gym. It’s been awhile since I’ve done any weights at all. But after last week, my joints hurt. And this isn’t muscle soreness, it’s my elbows, knees, etc.. I didn’t think I went too heavy either. Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    jjkh5970 wrote: »
    I’m just getting back into working out at the gym. It’s been awhile since I’ve done any weights at all. But after last week, my joints hurt. And this isn’t muscle soreness, it’s my elbows, knees, etc.. I didn’t think I went too heavy either. Anyone else experience this?

Could be your form? Could be that it was just too heavy, if the pain subsides try with lighter weights next time and see if that's better.

If the pain doesn't subside, see your doctor.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Hopefully it will get better with sustained training. Strong muscles may keep your joints better aligned and relieve the problem. I know this works with runners knee, for example.

I think you should keep fairly light with high reps when getting back into resistance training. More-frequent lightweight workouts (as much as every other day) will get your body used to it more quickly. With luck, you won't even remember this problem in a week or two.

In the meantime, do the usual remedies of heat and/or ice and anti-inflam's, as needed. If it's a persistent problem, talk to the doc, of course.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    What exercise are you doing?

I found my joint pain reduced completely when I started compound lifting - squatting specifically. Lifelong runner and endurance athlete and always had joint pain on some level.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I would definitely get a trainer to check your form!

Have you ever had a blood test for vitamin D levels? When mine was low, I had way more joint pain. I highly recommend getting the test done first, not just taking vitamin D supplements on your own.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    As stated above really watch your form. You should never lockout your joints during any lift either. Definitely focus on good vitamins and supplements along with diet and proper form. Depending on where you live I also suggest adding bone broth to your diet as well. I was having really bad hip, knee and elbow problems so I started taking Glucosamine and drinking home made bone broth a couple days a week. Now I only notice the joint pain when I bike for 30+ miles or perform so high impact workouts. Best of luck!