Black Coffee

Drinking black coffee sure is a habit that is hard to get used to!

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Black tea is a lot less bitter.
  • BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    ...that first way is for days when I'm just going into the study to work and I want a mug of some hot wakey-wakey juice next to me. The second way is, of course, for slammin' back as I'm running out the door for a morning workout at the gym, to get that blood flowin' right away!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Ha, RELATABLE.

I drink my coffee black, by the way, 'cause I'd way rather spend my calories on food than on milk in my coffee. So I totally get why someone would want to make that choice and save what was, in my case at least, sometimes a couple hundred calories per day for food!

I find what helped me was either watering my coffee down- cause the way I brewed it was assuming there would be milk in it, so I was brewing it way too strong to be drunk black. Or else I do the opposite, make myself an espresso so strong you could walk on it and knock it back like a tequila shot, before slammin' the espresso cup on the counter and letting out a "whooooop!" B)

There are lower cal alternatives to whole milk though that aren't 100's of calories.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Although I am all in favour of a Carajillo, it's black coffee but sadly probably double the calories of a white coffee.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    Try a different bean/roast/blend.

...or just add something to it. I either drink it black or with a small shot of cream (~40 kcals).

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    jadu1536 wrote: »

What kind of coffee do you drink? I used to drink cheap crap back in the day and never drank it black. When I met my wife I was surprised that she enjoyed coffee black...but she introduced me to quality coffee instead of Folgers and then I got it. I also think it is best when the beans are freshly ground right before brewing.

You might also have to experiment with different roasts. I won't touch a light roast and prefer a medium roast for black coffee. My wife really likes a dark roast and she sneaks that in on occasion...it's generally more bitter than I care for so I usually cut a dark roast a bit with some milk or sometimes half and half if we happen to have that around.
  • canthony3505
    canthony3505 Posts: 35 Member
    I can't stomach straight black coffee. I've cut back on the amount of creamer I use, but I have to use a bit to take the edge off. I know plenty of folks who can drink it black, but I'm afraid I'll never be one of them.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I drink mine black and prefer it now (honestly)....but it was a long gradual change.

Started off just liking creamy lattes from Starbucks.
    Then coffee with a lot of flavored creamer & sugar.
    Then coffee with a little plain creamer or half n' half & agave.
    Then coffee with almond milk & sweetener.
    Then coffee with almond milk only.
    It was easy to transition to black after that!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited January 2020

I put 40 cals of 2% milk in to "take the edge off" and I'm sure I could now step down to half that if
    I needed to. And when I'm fancy a splash of flavored coffee creamer is rarely more calories than that. If you drink more than 1 or 2 cups a day, maybe try switching to a flavored black tea after your first cup or two of coffee, for me it was easier to get used to drinking tea with no sweetener, creamer and you still get a bit of a caffeine hit.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Edging your way down slowly...I like it. I just went Cold Turkey.

img_0927.jpg
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited January 2020
    I enjoy black coffee but like to change things up a little sometimes.
    Currently I am using a RTD Premier Protein shake as creamer in my decaf coffee in the mornings.
    I finish my coffee and then drink the rest of the shake.
    160 calorie/1g Sugar/30g Protein breakfast :)

Today's flavor: Cafe Latte
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited January 2020
    I prefer mine black and would have a hard time going back now.

My switch had nothing to do with weight loss, but back during my first real job after school I often did not have access to milk or cream when I would ordinarily drink coffee, but sometimes just the powdered creamer stuff that I thought was unpleasant (I never could handle sweet coffee, so sugar was not an issue). Since I hated powdered creamer and hated having coffee there and not being able to drink it, I decided to learn to drink it black and was surprised at how quickly that became my favorite.

It is true that having a better coffee makes it easier (although I like bad coffee black too).
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    I also gradually cut out milk and sugar in my coffee, and now enjoy it black. It’s easier and quicker, too. But best of all, not only am I saving those calories, I also have a more even appetite. Kicking off the day with three cups of sugared-up coffee made me hungry in no time. All day. It was very difficult to keep within my calorie deficit goals back then. Now, I have black coffee in the morning, and don’t eat until around 1pm. I have no problem with appetite or staying in my calories now. Love it.
  • Jeanette12566
    Jeanette12566 Posts: 17 Member

I have an alternative to coffee (although I do drink coffee on occasion) It is a product called E+ (EShot) and it had adaptogens, B vitamins, and caffeine without the rise/crash of many energy (caffeinated) products.
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    Ha, RELATABLE.

I drink my coffee black, by the way, 'cause I'd way rather spend my calories on food than on milk in my coffee. So I totally get why someone would want to make that choice and save what was, in my case at least, sometimes a couple hundred calories per day for food!

I find what helped me was either watering my coffee down- cause the way I brewed it was assuming there would be milk in it, so I was brewing it way too strong to be drunk black. Or else I do the opposite, make myself an espresso so strong you could walk on it and knock it back like a tequila shot, before slammin' the espresso cup on the counter and letting out a "whooooop!" B)

Have you considered almond milk?