Pickle juice! - Random fact

Options
I love pickle juice. I also love pickles (dill only please), but I like pickle juice even more. Right out of the jar. And yes, I know there's tons of sodium. Moderation right? A pickle a day...
Lol Anyways, a friend of mine (who's an international pro-volleyball player) told me last night that one of her coaches used to drink pickle juice all the time, because it helps reduce cramps when you work out. Found this interesting article to back it up. Turns out pickle juice is a natural sports drink, with speculation that it's better than gatorade (though I probably wouldn't recommend it while on the treadmill...just a little before or after...it kinda seems like a preventative thing anyways)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/581083/the_benefits_of_drinking_pickle_juice.html?cat=5

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Careful though, pickle juice can dehydrate you. When my husband was a kid, his big brother dared him to drink 2 jars of pickle juice. The result landed him in the ER with severe dehydration and other problems. Lucky for him, he still loves pickles.
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    Careful though, pickle juice can dehydrate you. When my husband was a kid, his big brother dared him to drink 2 jars of pickle juice. The result landed him in the ER with severe dehydration and other problems. Lucky for him, he still loves pickles.

*giggle* what a dare... :P
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    Options
    I love pickle juice also and I swear it gets rid of hiccups!!! Interesting idea, pickle juice as gatorade!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

*giggle* what a dare... :P

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • springdaisy414
    springdaisy414 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dill Pickle juice has always been my go to when I'm hungry but don't know what I want to eat... i just started a 10 day juice plan...can I drink a couple of ounces and call it a "juice"?
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,068 Member
    Options
    Pickle juice does get rid of leg cramps....I was keto back in the day and I would drink a 1/2 glass of pickle juice and my leg cramps would disappear quickly
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I think this is the oldest necro thread with the highest number of relatively recent posters (by relatively recent, I mean in the last 3 years).
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I think this is the oldest necro thread with the highest number of relatively recent posters (by relatively recent, I mean in the last 3 years).
    Pickle juice never expires, right? 🤷
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

I hope not. I have some unopened homemade pickles from 2014 I'm still working on. Last jar I opened was still good!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

I hope not. I have some unopened homemade pickles from 2014 I'm still working on. Last jar I opened was still good!
    Revisit this thread in 2024 and let us know.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Fermented foods are all the rage now, right? :D
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Pickle juice does get rid of leg cramps....I was keto back in the day and I would drink a 1/2 glass of pickle juice and my leg cramps would disappear quickly

Pickle juice is sometimes consumed during the run segment of long course triathlon events. Chicken broth is another popular option. Gotta get that sodium in! :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options

Two is a lot?

Okay, then. :laugh:

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Necro thread commenting - for what its worth, my boys wrestle and they sell pickles, pickle juice, pickle slushies at most of the tournaments to help with the cramping and the kids really buy it up.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

Two is a lot?

Okay, then. :laugh:

3 out of 5, 4 if you count 2016. Pretty high ratio for this age of a thread.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Necro thread commenting - for what its worth, my boys wrestle and they sell pickles, pickle juice, pickle slushies at most of the tournaments to help with the cramping and the kids really buy it up.

Slushies?? My boys will eat a whole, large jar of dills in a day. They also love a good slurpee and our local convenience keeps the machines running even through winter. My oldest came home from work on one of the -40C days with a small slurpee. But I am not sure if they would go for a pickle slushee. I will ask them, I am kind of interested to see their expressions when I do.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I always keep my dill pickle juice for juice shots after my long runs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options

Sadly, most pickles are not fermented, or are canned (killing the happy friendly little bugs) after fermenting.

:( Poor bugs.

:wink: :lol:
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Sadly, most pickles are not fermented, or are canned (killing the happy friendly little bugs) after fermenting.

:( Poor bugs.

:wink: :lol:

RIP