Beginner Yoga Motivational Partner(s)?

Options
So I mentioned in my introduction post, but I'm looking to give a 3-4 days a week yoga routine a try and I would love to connect up with some others that like me, are complete beginners to yoga.

A little about me and my situation is that I suffer from ongoing muscle weakness caused by nerve root deterioration. This has resulted in me growing less and less active over the years, and subsequently putting on about 20lbs over the past 3 years.

Due to the nature of my physical limitations, I'm looking to try something easy paced and low impact (my last exercise attempts involved a treadmill, and they did not go well :D Footdrop and crappy reflexes resulted in many falls). Yoga caught my attention because it has the potential to really help me improve my flexibility, balance, and muscle weakness and can be easily catered to target my biggest problem areas, while for the most part remaining stationary to limit the risk of falls. Or so I hope!

That said, I've never done yoga, so this is certainly a new experiment to me, and I would love to have someone (or multiple someone's!) else along to help keep each other motivated, and to make each other feel less silly for struggling with simple things at the start.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to connect at a local yoga studio or yoga class at a gym or community center. There will be people of all skill levels and the instructor will be able to guide you regarding your unique needs and to learn safe yoga movement. No one will judge you.
  • Raghild
    Raghild Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I'm not worried about judgement, we just unfortunately don't have a car, or money to spare right now. Once we get moved in the fall, more options will be available since we'll be moving closer to family. Right now it's just me and my husband and our 2 year old son, and no real means to get around effectively or reliably here. We unfortunately couldn't even afford for me to keep seeing my neurologist or to get to and from weekly physical therapy sessions.

For now I'm just looking for something easy paced and low impact that I can do myself at home to improve my general fitness and help combat the muscle weakness, rather than just sitting around and getting worse for another 8-10 months until I can get back into physical therapy.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,584 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine introduced me to the app Fit On. I started out doing cardio/strength, did a stretching one, then accidentally did a yoga one and liked it, I've done a routine after my cardio and strength exercises this week. I've also heard good things about Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube but haven't tried one yet. I'm doing well with cardio and strength but yoga is definitely my weak area!
  • nitalieben
    nitalieben Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Hello Raghild. I sent you a FR. I'm a beginner, and use the Downdog app, Intro to yoga. I'd love to practice with you.
  • fmingione
    fmingione Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh me me me!!! I LOVE modifying yoga poses to fit my size, strength, and ability. I follow several accessibile yoga teachers online and would love to make friends that support each other in doing yoga that works for US!!
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I just started a 30 days of yoga with Adrienne! Shes really good and has tons of content. Its on YouTube and free. I did yoga yrs ago but just got back into it yesterday
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I just started a 30 days of yoga with Adrienne! Shes really good and has tons of content. Its on YouTube and free. I did yoga yrs ago but just got back into it yesterday

To me her workout videos are so hard but I am really overweight . I do yoga on Mondays.
  • alltheusernamesaretaken2020
    Options
    Me! Old user, new user name. I started hot yoga in October and I’m hooked!