Unrealistic expectations??

Aside from losing what I had gained during the holidays, I have stayed pretty much the same weight since Thanksgiving. Being 5'9" at 135-136 lbs. I guess that's a good weight but my brain still wants to get lower, like more between 130-132. Should I shut my brain down and consider that my scale is maybe trying to tell me to maintain where I'm at? Or should I decrease a small amount each day, such as 100 calories, just to see if I can keep moving down? I've started exercising a bit more and am eating closer to my calorie allotment than I used to also. Most days, due to exercise, my calories allowed end up being between 1400-1500 and I eat pretty much up to it.
I know the issue is I have to change my goals(now that I'm near where I had originally envisioned) somehow; that's the reason for increased and different exercise. But a part of me would still really like to lose another few lbs. And another part of me is afraid I'll get lazy about tracking and keeping to the healthy lifestyle.
Any advice? I respect all the wise insight given here and I know this question has been asked a lot of times in a lot of ways. But thank you!!

Replies

• robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Do you think you would be satisfied psychologically and emotionally as well as physically with a lower calorie intake? It would mean making more compromises about how much you can eat and how many indulgences you could include.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Thanks for the replies :)
    I just started adding some resistance exercise to my treadmill routine; not really sure if I know what I'm doing yet but will keep trying. :) Plus planking and hula hoop(but dang, that actually bruises if I try to do too much at a time). Plus on the TM I'm increasing the incline as I go and a few minutes a week, to get ready for hiking when winter's over.
    I really don't have a good answer for why I want to keep hitting a lower weight except yes, I feel it gives me a cushion in case I indulge and/or it's hard to go from the mindset of actually lose a lb. to getting more fit. :/ I have a hard time as it is, staying within my calorie allotment each day, not terrible, but find myself wanting/needing to add snacks at the end.
    As far as indulgences, I'm the kind of person where temptation can get slippery awfully quick so try to avoid most of them. Christmas week was horrible. Example, I over baked just so *I* could eat treats but there comes a rude awakening when a treat becomes half a pan or pie. :blush::( So hard to recover from that.
    Anyways.....thank you. :)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,958 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies :)
    I just started adding some resistance exercise to my treadmill routine; not really sure if I know what I'm doing yet but will keep trying. :) Plus planking and hula hoop(but dang, that actually bruises if I try to do too much at a time). Plus on the TM I'm increasing the incline as I go and a few minutes a week, to get ready for hiking when winter's over.
    I really don't have a good answer for why I want to keep hitting a lower weight except yes, I feel it gives me a cushion in case I indulge and/or it's hard to go from the mindset of actually lose a lb. to getting more fit. :/ I have a hard time as it is, staying within my calorie allotment each day, not terrible, but find myself wanting/needing to add snacks at the end.
    As far as indulgences, I'm the kind of person where temptation can get slippery awfully quick so try to avoid most of them. Christmas week was horrible. Example, I over baked just so *I* could eat treats but there comes a rude awakening when a treat becomes half a pan or pie. :blush::( So hard to recover from that.
    Anyways.....thank you. :)

@ReenieHJ
    You are not alone. I faced that same slippery slope Thanksgiving to Jan 8. Had to realize I’m a “Formally Obese Slim Person” not a “Never Obese Slim Person.” Big Difference. We have to really know & accept ourselves, and what our bodies need to be healthy.

The Half Size Me podcast is helpful.

The most important thing is to give it time. #NeverGiveUp

If you’re having to go over your daily calorie allotment on a regular basis, perhaps up your allotment & work to maintain for 1-3 months. Get that “locked in.”

Then reconsider whether you feel you can sustainably live on fewer calories.

My Best,
    Maddie
  • bretmartin09
    bretmartin09 Posts: 35 Member
    I agree with a few of the posters above, the goal shouldn't be what the scale says but how you feel, how you see yourself, and your body composition. I know several people who weigh absolutely the same but some will have a bodyfat % of 25 + and the other at 14%... same weight VERY different look.
  • ReenieHJ
    Thanks again, everybody. :)
    I've re-entered some of my stats and am developing more of a routine that I'm comfortable as far as exercising goes. The most challenging part of my day seems to always come between 7-8 p.m. I usually have some calories leftover from the day that exercise has left me with, so I do have something. It's making sure I track every single little thing and not start going over that; I've noticed that can make me slip all too easily. I just need to tighten down the hatches with a couple of my habits to keep me accountable. AND I need to stop buying certain foods(fudgesicles)because they're just triggers for me. One a day, that's fine. But 6 a day, nope. :/ Working on upping my protein too.

My biggest fear is seeing my scale creep back up and feeling all those old feelings once again. It truly does scare me; I never want to go back there.

One day closer to longer and warmer days, more outside time. :)
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Years ago I lost a lot of weight. I was wearing a size 8, which I can't ever remember being this small. I got greedy and tried to lose more weight, so I could be a size 6. I started the rollercoaster of gaining and losing. I started a weight loss program this August (after I passed 200 on the scale) and I am determined this will be the last time. Part of the program is genetic testing. My physique rating is 3-solidly built, so I was never have a petite frame. I have come to accept this fact and have adjusted my expectations. A large part of my goal is to be comfortable with how I look and feel. Of course, I want to be healthy. But...my healthy and that takes a huge mindset change. I know I'm going to achieve my goal because I have not only made physical changes, but also mindset changes.

Good luck. Be consistent. You can do it.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    just add that 14-1500 calories sounds very low for a person of 5'9". Perhaps you need to up them a bit? I know I lose weight (albeit slowly) on around 1400 and I am only 5 foot and 105 pounds.
  • ReenieHJ
    just add that 14-1500 calories sounds very low for a person of 5'9". Perhaps you need to up them a bit? I know I lose weight (albeit slowly) on around 1400 and I am only 5 foot and 105 pounds.

But being 66 yo and sedentary most of the time, except housework, taking my 2 dogs outside, and the exercise which I add into my CICO logging, I'm thinking that makes a big difference in calorie needs? I've seemed to have settled in at 133.5 for a couple weeks now, which I'm very happy with and am not as tight around my cal. allotment as I was, so if I eat 1600 cal. one day I don't panic. But thankfully, I'm usually right around my mark. If my weight stays stable, I think I'll be right where I want to be. Thanks for your input everybody!!

I look at what others say about how many calories they're taking in and I gasp, how does a body maintain on 2000-3000 cal. a day, for ex.?? :) I feel cheated by merely allowed 1400-1500 cal. a day. Lol But then I don't have the energy to work an exercise routine where I use up that amount of calories either. :/
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    My base maintenance is around 1400. I am 63 and 5'5" tall. I walk 6 days a week (8,000 to 13,000 steps) but on those days I get another 100 or so calories for my steps.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    To kind of broaden the experience picture: At age 64, 5'5" and around sedentary (as far as I can tell**) outside of intentional exercise, with a weight in the mid-130s pounds, I maintain at a base (pre-exercise) calorie level of around 2000, possibly a bit more. (** Less than 5,000 steps most days.)

The standard TDEE calculators do estimate a lower calorie burn with higher age (but same body size, activity level, etc.) Keep in mind that these are spitting out the statistical average for broad populations of people of that description.

Much of the calorie intake "age penalty" is believed to be the decreased muscle mass that tends to occur with increasing age.

A TDEE calculator (Sailrabbit, which is multi-formula) says I should expect to maintain, at sedentary, at 1396-1498 calories daily. At the same size, at age 24, it would be 1636-1721 . . . a little over one serving of peanut butter's difference daily, maybe the peanut butter plus a slice of moderately calorie-efficient bread.

Suppose I fill in an estimated body fat percent (BF%), so that Sailrabbit can use formulas that utilize that data in addition to the age/size data. (I don't know my accurate BF%, but I'll use 25% for this example.)

With that added data, Sailrabbit now includes a range for 64-year-old me of 1635-1813 calories at sedentary; and for theoretical 24-year-old me, a new range of . . . 1635-1813 calories.

Food for thought. ;)